Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know that you can say that for sure. Maybe they are company owned cars, especially since the one in BC was a very early model, but I find it hard to believe that they are on official company business in Squamish BC during US Thanksgiving.

I'm reasonably sure that I can say that. In order to bring a vehicle across the border that does not belong to you, you require paperwork stating how you have possession of it in case you are asked. They also have manufacturer plates on them. Tesla, like any other OEM wouldn't want their employees taking their Release Candidate cars across border for leisure purposes especially with how cloak and dagger they have been with them in the past.

The likeliest explanation here is that they were doing testings or certifications. Anyone can work on US thanksgiving if their employer compensates them for it. Not everyone has a grand thanksgiving extravaganza to stay home for.

Last edited:
Interesting. I just turned my climate on - I don't expect to be at my car for another 8.5 hours. My battery is currently at 353km at it is -11 out. I wonder how much drain I will see.

You turned on camper mode? Or just turned on the HVAC? AFAIK the regular HVAC control times out after 30 minutes. This is supposed to be a new feature. I don't see it on my App... that might just mean that I don't have the latest firmware of course.

Catching up on the action here a little bit …

Forgot to mention he also said dual motor will also come with the smart air suspension, wasn't clear on if it would be mandatory but seeing ashow Tesla is looking to increase margins and simplify production I think its a safe bet that it will be bundled.
If that's the case, count me out of dual motor and air suspension. The combined cost is likely more than I can afford, especially considering that I'd rather get long range before I'd get dual motor, if it came down to one or the other. Most people with P85s say their RWD vehicles do fine in snow anyways (with winter tires, of course). Risky? Maybe … there's still time to talk me out of it.

Every time I board a BC Ferry. I'm on the Swartz Bay - Tsawassen route several times a year and the car does it automatically :).

Also there are a few driveways that slope rather more than normal, that I occasionally use, so the car automatically remembering these places is also very convenient. One example: the driveway into the motel beside the supercharger at the Black Bear Diner in Grant's Pass OR has a huge hump just after the sidewalk. I scraped once, and didn't want to do it again.

I guess the other thing is, the car is set to automatically lower to Very Low at highway speeds (>80km/hr). So I use that all the time.
Model 3 has 6 mm more clearance than Model S. Hopefully I won't need air suspension to clear everyday driveways and other obstacles. Sounds like air suspension is almost not optional for a proper road-worthy vehicle! :p

You turned on camper mode? Or just turned on the HVAC? AFAIK the regular HVAC control times out after 30 minutes. This is supposed to be a new feature. I don't see it on my App... that might just mean that I don't have the latest firmware of course.
I guess it was just climate. I don't have the latest firmware but I am pretty sure that my previous firmware upgrade from a month or so ago did mention camper mode in the release notes. Maybe you have to turn on camper mode in the car?

Catching up on the action here a little bit …

If that's the case, count me out of dual motor and air suspension. The combined cost is likely more than I can afford, especially considering that I'd rather get long range before I'd get dual motor, if it came down to one or the other. Most people with P85s say their RWD vehicles do fine in snow anyways (with winter tires, of course). Risky? Maybe … there's still time to talk me out of it.

Model 3 has 6 mm more clearance than Model S. Hopefully I won't need air suspension to clear everyday driveways and other obstacles. Sounds like air suspension is almost not optional for a proper road-worthy vehicle! :p
Being able to tune your suspension at the touch of a button is amazing and having the choice vs traditional suspension is an easy decision for me. With regards to the dual motor, can someone tell me if you actually get extended range, or is it worse? I have a short commute to work and will only need to charge nightly at home in the garage, so range doesn't really make a difference to my choices, but I was wondering how the dual motor actually worked?

Reactions: SmartElectric
So you are saying that if I turn on climate control in the app that it will keep the car at that temperature for days, assuming that the battery is above 20%? Are you sure?
Absolutely. I ran an experiment last weekend, and turned on the climate control from my phone, and it stayed on until I moved the car on Sunday. Did a great job keeping the snow off the car so ice wouldn't form as well ;)

ok, so can I activate it before I leave it for the day outside in the parking lot for 8 hours while I'm at work? Is this the best option, or is there a function from the app to activate the temperature and just pre-heat the car 30 min before getting into it?
You could leave it running all day but that will drain the battery. But it may be useful if there is freezing rain as it may keep that from building up on the car, or at least the windshield. Or you could just turn on the climate from the app(s) 30 minutes before you plan to use your car. I use the teslafi.com web monitoring service and that has schedules that you can set. I have a schedule set to turn on the climate at 5:35pm on M-F as I get off the train and into my car a little after 6.

It would be nice if you could also turn on rear window defrost in the app or API.

My experience is that when you turn on the climate in the app it will only stay on for 30 minutes. There seems to be a discrepancy here.

Just read that they are going to be offering up to $75,000 EV credit for the Semi....think that is going to replace our $14,000 current EV credit, or extend its existence?
Thinking of this on a purely $ to reduce pollution perspective - how much CO2 and other pollutants would be mitigated from an EV Semi in Ontario vs a passenger car? I am guessing that the CO2 produced by a Semi in its lifetime are more than 5.5X the CO2 produced by a passenger car, due to the fact the emissions per km would be so much higher and I would think that Semis put on many more kms in their lifetime vs a passenger car. If my assertion is correct than this subsidy make sense.

But this is all going to depend on the upcoming election. If the Conservatives win then it is pretty likely that EV credits go away.