Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 2023 interior Geiger counter noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I've been having noise issues with my M3P since buying it new in September 23.

Several service centre visits / mobile ranger visits have unfortunately not fixed my primary area of concern.

So far, they have:

1. Replaced front passenger side door trim and padded out both front doors with foam
  2. Padded out the plastic cover of the rear seats
  3. Padded out both seat belt adjustors
  4. Applied a thin layer of tape to the rear seat "U" catch (i have since added a thicker tape)

Despite these efforts, I still have an annoying 'geiger counter' noise from the rear nearside area. I have recorded the noise: http://sndup.net/cfcx

You can hear it throughout the video, even through 15-25 seconds as the wheels are kicking up some loose stones into the wheel arches.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a DIY fix or something I can alert the service team to? My closest service centre is a considerable round trip and is a bit of a faff going there with no progress being made.

Thank you,

Ash

I believe I've found where the noise is coming from, after having a good look around the car armed with foam tape.

It appears to be the rear boot light, nearside. A small amount of pressure would make the connector on the other side of the light make contact with the metal chassis. I've applied a square of foam tape to the chassis. After a few short test drives, I cannot hear the noise any more.

Strangely, the offside rear boot light has much more distance between the connector and chassis and makes no contact.

Update : this wasn't the culprit! Noise still persists

Last edited: