Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. Where is it disproven. Just read a Reuters article where it looked like the story is real.

But I would not be surprised if Tesla plan to delay the Model 2 util they will be guaranty that they could sell at least 2 million of it or more a year.
Currently, the demand for EV seems to not increase at the expected rate, and even hybrid get more popular.

I think one of the reasons is that there is not enough charging solutions for people who cannot charge at home or during the day at work.
Many people in cities park at night in the street and there is a need to be able to charge at night while sleeping.

Many HOA (homeowners association) don't let tenants having a plug installed in the parking or garage of a building. However,
in China, Tesla sells a locking box to put a charger inside so you could have your own private plug, but it is not available in US.

A lot of L2 public chargers are also vandalised for getting they copper cable cut and sold at a scrap yard.
Installing wireless public chargers could be a solution for making charging simple and less prone to be vadalised.

Last edited:
But I would not be surprised if Tesla plan to delay the Model 2 util they will be guaranty that they could sell at least 2 million of it or more a year.
Currently, the demand for EV seems to not increase at the expected rate, and even hybrid get more popular.

I think one of the reasons is that there is not enough charging solutions for people who cannot charge at home or during the day at work.
Many people in cities park at night in the street and there is a need to be able to charge at night while sleeping.

A lot of L2 public chargers are also vandalised for getting they copper cable cut and sold at a scrap yard.
Installing wireless public chargers could be a solution for making charging simple and less prone to be vadalised.
a $25k Model 2 would heavily eat into Model 3 and Model Y sales because not everyone needs a car that big. Also - the margins of lower priced cars are much lower than of a $45k+ vehicle. Hard to see a Model 2 for under $30k happening with assembly in the US. Also - Tesla is notorious for delays and we haven't even seen any unveiling of designs/ prototypes. Don't see a Model 2 being delivered before 2026-2027 (...)

Reactions: Watts_Up
I believe the Reuters story is accurate. It appears to be well sourced. Elon did not deny that the Model 2 program has been ended or paused. His “Reuters is lying” post is non-specific and in line with his general rants against news reports that he doesn’t like. And Elon’s recent track record of statements on social media only works against him.

In my opinion, Elon’s focus on FSD and “robotaxis” is a mistake and likely not achievable in a useful way for some time. After almost 10 years of promising real FSD “this year” it has still not happened. Elon has lost credibility in that department (and may others). I have driven the latest FSD V13 release. It’s amazing but not close to L5 capability. I’ve been using EAP for 6 years but have no interest in paying for FSD even at half the price it is currently offered at. The current FSD take rate is clearly very low.

If Tesla cannot profitably produce an EV at somewhere around the $25K price point, the stock is worth even less that it is at right now. Supercharger network revenues and energy storage product revenues cannot compensate for that. Every single model Tesla has introduced has been at a significantly higher price point than promised and often with less capability. As a long time TSLA investor I am reevaluating my position.

If true, the cancellation of the low-cost, mass-market vehicle is a huge disappointment. Especially to also continue with the launch of a new Roadster - a vehicle 1% of people can and will buy; a toy for the wealthy; the complete opposite of a “$25k” car. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Why tf even announce the low-cost car to turn around and cancel it so soon after? The reveal was supposed to be in 2024!

Now we get a so-called Robotaxi when FSD is still a long way away from supporting such a fleet!? gtfoh

So what platform will this futur "Robo-Taxi" will be using:

- A Model Y without steering wheel and pedals?

- A special new smaller platform with only two doors?

- A larger minivan type of vehicle, derived from the Model X or the Cybertruck, that could be also used for the Boring tunnel n Las Vegas?

Eventually the 25k Tesla will come, just a question of how long it will take, i think it will be before the time a Model 3 is 25k :)
I would wonder about that. The body style would be different (compact crossover vs sedan), so I’m not sure that would be a condition. If anything, I’d say definitely before the Model Y as I’d think it would fit between the Y and 3 in terms of size and style and therefore pricing.

I would wonder about that. The body style would be different (compact crossover vs sedan), so I’m not sure that would be a condition. If anything, I’d say definitely before the Model Y as I’d think it would fit between the Y and 3 in terms of size and style and therefore pricing.
Is the Model 2 not the 25k Tesla? I don't think you will get a bigger car for less money, other cheap EV's often seem to be reduced to 4 seats.

Is the Model 2 not the 25k Tesla? I don't think you will get a bigger car for less money, other cheap EV's often seem to be reduced to 4 seats.
It is.

My previous car was a Honda HR-V, which is classified as a compact crossover (same as M2, supposedly). And to me, the Model 3 is a sedan, comparable to a Honda Civic (in body styling). And the base Civic is priced ever so slightly cheaper than the HR-V. So, if I use that as a rough basis, then Tesla could wait a while and let pricing on the M3 fall just below 25k before introducing the M2.

But who knows.

Reactions: Madeindex.org
So, if I use that as a rough basis, then Tesla could wait a while and let pricing on the M3 fall just below 25k before introducing the M2.

But who knows.
Most of the speculation is that what people are calling the "Model 2" or NV9 is intended to be smaller and cheaper than the Model 3. If it is in the form of a compact crossover or hatchback, take a look at the size and form factor of the Hyundai Kona and Chevrolet Bolt, or the slightly larger Kia Niro for comparison.

Most of the speculation is that what people are calling the "Model 2" or NV9 is intended to be smaller and cheaper than the Model 3. If it is in the form of a compact crossover or hatchback, take a look at the size and form factor of the Hyundai Kona and Chevrolet Bolt, or the slightly larger Kia Niro for comparison.
So, you missed the part where I said I had a Honda HR-V? It's the same body style (compact crossover) and it often compared to the Hyundai Kona. Honda HR-V vs. Hyundai Kona Comparison - TrueCar and even if you swap to the EV version, it's mostly the same because they lowered the ground clearance to add the battery. Honda HR-V vs. Hyundai Kona Electric Comparison - TrueCar

My other car is a 2010 Honda Fit (Jazz) which is basically the sub-compact version of the HR-V (2019, since I forgot to mention it). Personally, I was hoping the M2 would be closer in size to the Fit, but that might be unlikely due to being an EV with a battery pack and all.

Musk backpedalling:

We have updated our future vehicle line-up to accelerate the launch of new models ahead of our previously communicated start of production in the second half of 2025," Tesla said in its first quarter shareholder release.

Musk backpedalling:

Second half of 2025 in Tesla speak = optimistically mid-2026 with ramp up in late 2026

I mean - if there’s a Model 2 hitting production in just about a year+ …. How come we haven’t even seen the design ?

Second half of 2025 in Tesla speak = optimistically mid-2026 with ramp up in late 2026

I mean - if there’s a Model 2 hitting production in just about a year+ …. How come we haven’t even seen the design ?
Seventh half of 2023!

My guess is that Robotaxi and Model 2 were originally planned to be the same body design, which will still be unveiled (as Robotaxi-only) on 8/8. The new plan will be to modify Model 3/Y with some (but not all) of the planned Robotaxi-generation manufacturing refinements, to reduce manufacturing costs and be able to sell them for somewhat less, perhaps approaching $25k, though I doubt they'll actually reach that figure. More like $29k I would guess. I don't think they'll be able to adapt the Model 3/Y lines to a completely different-sized car on that timeframe, though it's not impossible.

The thing is, if they can make a Model-3-sized car for $29k, they could probably make a subcompact equivalent for $22-24k, and that's what many people are holding out for. To me it makes no sense to make the Robotaxi platform "Robotaxi-only" (in the no-steering-wheel sense); I don't think they will be able to "flip the Robotaxi switch" until 2030 at the earliest. (And that probably only in geofenced/envirofenced regions at first.) But if I could buy a manually-driveable subcompact Tesla in 2026, that I expected to acquire Robotaxi functionality four years later, that would be a very appealing purchase, and it would greatly help Tesla bridge the time gap, in the event L4 FSD autonomy doesn't materialize as soon as Elon expects. He has of course been chronically and hopelessly overoptimistic for the last several years.