Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile charging outlet in front of car???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. My garage layout forces me to install a 14-50 outlet on the wall in front of where my model s will be parked. From a math standpoint the 18 usable feet of mobile charging cable length should be enough to reach the charging port if I position the outlet correctly, but it might be a stretch. I'm not interested in extension cords, so either this works or I spring for a wall charger. Thoughts???

Obviously I don’t know what your garage layout is like, but if you do have any options for installing the plug near the car I would suggest that you reconsider the placement. When I was installing my HPWC I had the option of installing it near the front of the car/garage, which would have been very easy, or spending a bit more time, money, and effort to install it on the wall of the garage near the charge port.

After thinking about it for quite a while I finally decided to install it on the wall near the charger and I’m very glad I did... this gives me a few advantages. First, I still got the 24 foot HPWC, so if I need to park the car in the driveway for some reason or charge a friend’s car in the driveway the cable will reach... It wouldn’t have made it from the front of the garage.

Second, consider the fact that you will be unplugging the car and plugging it back in every time you drive it. This will probably be close to once a day or maybe even several times a day. If the plug is at the front of the garage then you will need to run the cable down the length of the garage to get to the car when you plug it in and then coil it back up each time you unplug it. I suspect this will get old very fast and when you consider how many times you have to do this over the life of the car it will probably be less effort to put the plug in a more convenient spot. With my HWPC where it is all I need to do is grab the end of the cable and turn around and plug it into the car, then unplug it and stick the end of the cable back into the HWPC... no need to coil up a cable or drag it anywhere.

Of course you may still have a situation where it’s impossible to put the plug near the port and in that case I’m sure putting it at the front of the car will be fine, but if you do have any options you might want to reconsider.

Reactions: drklain
Sadly even pulling forward into my garage is a challenge! Basically have make a right hand turn at the top of the driveway while pulling into the garage simultaneously. Can't imagine what backing in would be like, not to mention the fact that I would have to initiate the reverse out in the middle of a blind curve with oncoming neighborhood traffic. Already leaning toward the wall charger since I will have the high amperage charger on board...sort of seems like a waste to not use it to its full potential!

BrettS...my garage is oriented sideways for lack of a better description. Model S will be first car in a row of three cars (side by side) approached from driver's side (based on car size and need for ease of accessibility). If plugged in from behind the cord will block access to everything on the other side of it unless we use a pulley mount from above, which is an option! With a pulley system I would probably still mount a wall charger (extra length) in front of the car to avoid the cost of running wire to back wall (circuit panel is on front wall). So many options!

I back mine in which works very well. Unfortunately my garage door liked to randomly stop at different points in its opening cycle. This went on for a year until a few weeks ago when it stopped just above my camera's view, and I was distracted when starting the backing process. Needless to say I'm getting new garage doors now (we needed them anyways). Fortunately the damage to my MS was almost completely cured by a paint scratch removal kit.

I had my 14-50 outlet installed from the ceiling. I built a mini 2'x2' "wall" hanging down that I have it attached cables to. It's just wrapped around a cord hook and I unwrap to charge. I can pull in straight or back into any of the spots in our 3 car garage.

Same issue. I learned to back in. It was a little tricky, given my layout. But I became a pro pretty quickly and actually prefer it now. So cool to have the garage door open automatically, my headlights fire up and glide silently out, and have door close automatically. My neighbors love it!

Hello. My garage layout forces me to install a 14-50 outlet on the wall in front of where my model s will be parked. From a math standpoint the 18 usable feet of mobile charging cable length should be enough to reach the charging port if I position the outlet correctly, but it might be a stretch. I'm not interested in extension cords, so either this works or I spring for a wall charger. Thoughts???

We have a 3 car garage; double door on left and installed 14-50 at the back wall in line between the 2 parking slots of the garage when we built 2-3 years ago. We had no EV so were still learning. When we got our MX it was clear that pulling in straight forward was want we wanted and frankly have done for 30+ years elsewhere. The 18' mobile adapter (EVSE) just makes it to the car's charge port and grazes the floor in the middle. I was always worried about stress at the plugs at the wall as well as the car. In the winter, the floor gets wet and sloppy and picking up the cord was messy; and then you are getting into your car with dirty hands as well. So I discovered that you can drape that cable over the driver's mirror in my situation, kept it cleaner and less stress. I put the garbage can under the outlet to support the weight of the electronics vs allow it to hang. As an engineer I've seen too many melted cord plugs on things and know the contacts with the outlet get loose with wear and causes overheating. The EV industry standard SAE 1772 plug is designed and tested to over 4000 in/out and load cycles. (Hopefully Tesla's unique plug is equally reliable) The typical 14-50 outlet (especially what you might get from a big box store requires only 400 cycles of design testing to meet the UL standards which apply. Do the math. Its not a good idea to stress that wall plug at all let alone let it wear. Extension cords are not supposed to be used for these same reasons and are fire hazards.

Bottom line, is that I decided to upgrade to a HPWC for $500, in stock at my SC. This lets me keep the mobile cable in the car for travel or emergency. The 24' vs 18' is now plenty long, but still touches the floor so that issue remains. My solution was to develop a cord hanging system which I hope to make available to others. It takes care of the 12' ceiling in my garage, or a more common lower ceiling. It keeps the entire length at least 6' overhead and clear of the doors. It never touches the floor. When not charging, it loops back on itself overhead and slips into 2 open cable hooks. I really do like this arrangement. An extra 8amps of current is another bonus of faster charge over the 40A max of the mobile cable. Attached is an early version of my system.

That is my opinion for you to consider. Good luck! (p.s. don't forget up to $1000 federal tax credit you can apply for in installing wiring, circuitry and a 14-50 or the HPWC)

Attachments

• IMG_6180.JPG
    IMG_6180.JPG
    330.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Thank you for your incredibly detailed reply! I have decided to go with the HPWC myself, and I do like the idea of the overhead cord management system. I will also investigate the tax credit you mentioned...I had no idea that was available! Thanks again.

We have a 14-50 on the wall in front of our Model-S. This extension cord Amazon.com: Camco 55194 50 AMP 15' PowerGrip Extension Cord: Automotive is plugged into the outlet and permanently plugged into the 14-50 and mounted to the wall and ceiling. The UMC is permanently plugged into the extension cord.

You could also surface mount 6-3 wire (? with or without conduit) to the wall and ceiling and wire it into the current 14-50. Mount a new box with the old 14-50 near the back of the car.

Sadly even pulling forward into my garage is a challenge! Basically have make a right hand turn at the top of the driveway while pulling into the garage simultaneously. Can't imagine what backing in would be like, not to mention the fact that I would have to initiate the reverse out in the middle of a blind curve with oncoming neighborhood traffic. Already leaning toward the wall charger since I will have the high amperage charger on board...sort of seems like a waste to not use it to its full potential!
Isn't it just as difficult/unsafe to back out into the blind curve/oncoming traffic when you take the car out of the garage when you park it in forwards? It seems to me it's likely worse because backing into the driveway, at least you were just driving on the road and have some idea of whether there are cars that might be coming around.

Isn't it just as difficult/unsafe to back out into the blind curve/oncoming traffic when you take the car out of the garage when you park it in forwards? It seems to me it's likely worse because backing into the driveway, at least you were just driving on the road and have some idea of whether there are cars that might be coming around.

I live in a gated community so my street doesn't necessarily have a huge amount of traffic, and when I leave for work most people are still in bed. Makes backing out at that hour a non-issue (minus the couple who takes early-morning walks and think they are entitled to walk in the middle of the street). My bigger concern is that it's just an awkward place to initiate backing up when I return home later in the day with more cars/pedestrians around, and then an even more awkward approach into the garage itself. I don't think autopark will ever be able to handle my driveway/garage entry!!

To follow up, I ordered the HPWC with the long cord. I'll happily maneuver forward into my awkward garage!