Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MOBILE ALa. SC to BATON ROUGE La. SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is charging, just no superchargers until Slidell is built. Do you have the CHAdeMO adapter? There is a CHAdeMO in New Orleans. There are also RV parks with 50A outlets along the way. There is a HPWC at the Best Western in La Place if you want to time your trip to stay overnight there. Look at Plugshare.com if you haven't already. Or you could keep your speed down and go directly from Mobile to Baton Rouge.

I've made this trip a couple times (in a 60). Here are some options:

1. Slow down. If you're in a 70-85 kWh model this should be a fairly easy leg . If you're in a 60, you can make it but you have to maintain 60-65 mph (and be willing to go below that if required) and be adventurous.
2. There are RV parks all along I-10 that you can call an arrange a quick stop to add ~30 miles an hour. I hit a couple a while back that I can recommend as "EV friendly." I can check my map in the car later for the names, as I don't recall them right off hand.
3. Buy or borrow a CHAdeMO adapter if you don't already have one. There's a Rouses Market in New Orleans that has a CHAdeMO adapter (free). Call ahead to make sure it's working, and then keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't overheat. I had to remove the inside filter completely to get it to not overheat on me. This also adds time and miles, since you have to detour down I-10 instead of taking I-12.

So, in a 85 I'd go with option 1 (you shouldn't have to slow down that much to make 195 miles). In a 60, I'd go with option 2, as RV parks would be much more reliable (a lot of outlets) than 1 single fast charger in NO.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes--what TexasEV said. I guess I type too slow. ;)