Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mistery car part: 0 - Model X: 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gjunky

Trifecta: Solar and both cars are EVs
Mar 26, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
On my way to work this morning, I am taking a high speed off-ramp and there was some small wooden debris on the road. There was no avoiding it with traffic around me and they were small pieces so I wasn't to worried.

The next thing I see on the road looks like a large car part. Something like a double barrel carburetor!
Again, there was no way to avoid it or even break. I drove right over it at about 60mph. I could hear the impact on the bottom of the car (keep in mind that my suspension was on low because of the speed). A small heart attack later and I am looking in my rearview mirror. There was a bit of a debris field behind me. Whatever the part on the road had been, it was completely destroyed now. There is no place to stop or pull over in this location so I had no other option then to keep going.

There is however a service center nearby so i decided to take a very small detour and stop by there to have it checked out.

It looks like the piece impacted the plastic cover underneath the car and behind the bumper (the bumper was not hit) and then impacted the titanium rod that is in front of the battery (added since that infamous car fire). It took the full impact and must just have destroyed whatever was on the road. There is big scrape in the titanium bar and some very minor scratches in the bottom of the battery casing (you really have to look).

Overall, this could have been pretty ugly but the car held up well and no further damage was done.

The plastic part will need to be ordered. Cost, roughly $50.

Thanks Tesla!