Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing USB Ports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You do realize that Tesla charges plenty of people for parts. There is a 100 mile/72 hour (or something like that) time frame for people to report issues with their vehicles after delivery. Many have not held firm with this time frame, but it is there so that if they want to they can. So it is not some made-up reality. Sometimes when you are looking for things they can see to appear in places where they are not. We are on a Tesla Forum where the majority of people have mostly positive things to say about the company, relax.
I have certainly not heard such a thing prior to this exact moment. If you have some examples of this, maybe you can link them and we can discuss those.

I would think a bigger deal would be made of this previously if it were a thing.

Because suggesting that your made-up reality is made up is being a fan boy?

Is there some basis for your comments about Tesla charging people for parts? Because your posts read like hate-fan fantasy fiction.
Wow, you're taking Tesla defensiveness to the next level. I never suggested, nor stated that Tesla would make people pay for the USB ports. I simply asked about Due Bills as they are standard. You're so far up Elon's butt it's hilarious, chill out. Protecting ourselves as consumers is not anti Tesla, it's treating a Tesla purchase like any other car purchase. Make sure your ducks are in a row when you drop that much money on anything.

Al I would suggest is that if your car is missing the USB ports document it along with any other issues in a service ticket you create at delivery. Protect yourself from any confusion later by having all issues documented. Even the ones Tesla says they’ll take care of when parts arrive. Better safe than sorry.

And this isn’t a shot at Tesla. I’d suggest going this for any big purchase where you have have to sign off on delivery and capture any outstanding issues.

Do you have a citation for this? AFAIK, the pre-orders for the Mach-E, Lightning, etc. all still require a visit to the dealer. I'm not aware of any major auto manufacturer that skips over the dealership, other than Tesla.

As someone who just order a GT, I can tell you that … no you do not have to visit the dealer. Now I will say that depends on the dealer.

Last edited:
Wow, you're taking Tesla defensiveness to the next level. I never suggested, nor stated that Tesla would make people pay for the USB ports. I simply asked about Due Bills as they are standard. You're so far up Elon's butt it's hilarious, chill out. Protecting ourselves as consumers is not anti Tesla, it's treating a Tesla purchase like any other car purchase. Make sure your ducks are in a row when you drop that much money on anything.
I haven’t defended anything Tesla has actually done here. In fact I’ve suggested on multiple occasions in this conversation that their service was sub-par.

Just commented about some hate-fan fiction.

Can we please stick to non-invented issues?

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteWi
Al I would suggest is that if your car is missing the USB ports document it along with any other issues in a service ticket you create at delivery. Protect yourself from any confusion later by having all issues documented. Even the ones Tesla says they’ll take care of when parts arrive. Better safe than sorry.

And this isn’t a shot at Tesla. I’d suggest going this for any big purchase where you have have to sign off on delivery and capture any outstanding issues.
Yeah, I put all the issues I found at delivery with pictures in the service request (as the rep suggested) and also took screen shots of the request (as it's been known that service requests can get deleted and the record is gone). Better to have things documented than later on have to argue about whether something was there at delivery or caused by later use.

The missing USB and nonfunctional wireless chargers would seem to be something obvious (especially with so many cars affected), but if this was a one-off thing I could see there is a possibility of an argument. I would be more worried if this was a purposeful permanent move by Tesla (like removal of passenger lumbar controls).

This thread is a bit too long, have Tesla made an official statement yet that this is temporary parts shortage and people affected would have the ports installed when they come in?

Reactions: Ogre
As someone who just order a GT, I can tell you that … no you do not have to visit the dealer. Now I will say that depends on the dealer.
There was a discussion about this in another thread. As a general rule, when you ‘order’ a car online with a traditional dealer you place a reservation for the car at a dealer. It is not a signed purchase agreement. There are numerous stories of people ordering cars only to have the dealer slap an additional dealer markup on the price when they go to pick them up. This is partly due to the antiquated laws and dealer model where the dealer buys the car from the car maker and you buy it from the dealer. Essentially they are legally mandated middle-men.

There was a discussion about this in another thread. As a general rule, when you ‘order’ a car online with a traditional dealer you place a reservation for the car at a dealer. It is not a signed purchase agreement. There are numerous stories of people ordering cars only to have the dealer slap an additional dealer markup on the price when they go to pick them up. This is partly due to the antiquated laws and dealer model where the dealer buys the car from the car maker and you buy it from the dealer. Essentially they are legally mandated middle-men.

Right, and you can do that all online without stepping into a dealership except for delivery, depending on the dealer. Basically you reserve, place your order, the dealer sends over and order form (purchase agreement) with final price, you sign, send it back and pick up your car when it arrives. The biggest difference is dealerships aren't up to speed on on doing everything completely digital and it depends on the dealership. With these guys you still have to print, sign, PDF and email. Tesla has set this standard and all these guys will soon fall in line.

Right, and you can do that all online without stepping into a dealership except for delivery, depending on the dealer. Basically you reserve, place your order, the dealer sends over and order form (purchase agreement) with final price, you sign, send it back and pick up your car when it arrives. The biggest difference is dealerships aren't up to speed on on doing everything completely digital and it depends on the dealership. With these guys you still have to print, sign, PDF and email. Tesla has set this standard and all these guys will soon fall in line.
Make sure the dealer signs too in whatever agreement. A Bronco reservation holder basically got screwed because he signed a paper (which was an order sheet), but dealer didn't. The dealer marked up the price by 10k and the holder was SOL. After a huge online backlash and Ford stepping in, they figured something out. If it weren't for all that attention however, that person would have no legal footing to dispute the price bump.
A Bronco Reservation Holder Tried To Go Up Against A Ford Dealer Over A Markup And Lost (Update)

Make sure the dealer signs too in whatever agreement. A Bronco reservation holder basically got screwed because he signed a paper (which was an order sheet), but dealer didn't. The dealer marked up the price by 10k and the holder was SOL. After a huge online backlash and Ford stepping in, they figured something out. If it weren't for all that attention however, that person would have no legal footing to dispute the price bump.
A Bronco Reservation Holder Tried To Go Up Against A Ford Dealer Over A Markup And Lost (Update)
Exactly. You don't get a purchase agreement from the web, you get it from the dealer. Dealers are all independent and you are completely subject to their whims. Often times you don't get a true purchase agreement from them or if you do, they add a line at the bottom stating 'price subject to additional dealer markup,' 'preparation fees,' or some other such nonsense.

It's entirely possible to do that as @T3SLAROD hopes (dreams?) but it's dependent on a dealer agreeing to it as well.

Yes, I just took delivery of a 2022 Y on Wednesday, and the 2 front USB-C sockets in the front console compartment, are missing. There's just two empty holes. Probably no co-incidence that the wireless charger pads don't work either.
Really ticked off - the price you pay for a car like this and basic equipment has not been installed. So right now the only way to charge my phone is to run a cable from the USB-C sockets in the back, or lock it in the glovebox...
You do know there's a 12V cigarette lighter socket in the armrest storage area, yes? Who doesn't have a USB adapter for that?
The rear console USB-C ports won't likely be active either, they're all on the same hub.

Yup this isn’t my first time doing the online order with a Ford Dealer. Learned a lot the first time.

Again, they aren’t fully there but it is headed that way

Exactly. You don't get a purchase agreement from the web, you get it from the dealer. Dealers are all independent and you are completely subject to their whims. Often times you don't get a true purchase agreement from them or if you do, they add a line at the bottom stating 'price subject to additional dealer markup,' 'preparation fees,' or some other such nonsense.

It's entirely possible to do that as @T3SLAROD hopes (dreams?) but it's dependent on a dealer agreeing to it as well.

The biggest issue is finding the right dealer. Again, they are slowly moving to the Tesla model, it’s inevitable especially in the EV market. It’s not a better system than Tesla and no one will ever say it is but they will eventually get there.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteWi
The biggest issue is finding the right dealer. Again, they are slowly moving to the Tesla model, it’s inevitable especially in the EV market. It’s not a better system than Tesla and no one will ever say it is but they will eventually get there.
And a large portion of the population has a choice of 1, maybe 2 dealers. If you don’t have a choice it doesn’t matter.