Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing Adaptive Headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if there is already a post regarding this but I couldn't find it. I purchased my 17 MS about 2 months ago and discovered when taking delivery that Adaptive headlights were missing even though it was on the window sticker. I've gotten multiple different stories like they accidentally put the wrong ones in, I have the correct ones but need a software update and then back to the wrong ones installed but working on the software. According to my SC after they called engineers they do have my headlights in stock but cannot install because the engineers are not finished developing the firmware to make them operate. This seems odd to me since they are making cars everyday with these headlights. Maybe there were some small hardware differences in my car requiring a different firmware? To me it's wrong to sell a vehicle that claims to have the feature but not tell the customer they haven't figured out how to get it to work so instead they threw the old style lights in it. They are telling me it could be another 3-4 months making it a total of 6 months from the purchase date. I think Tesla needs to work on their transparency and be truthful with the customers when they are purchasing instead of waiting for them to find out on their own after the deal is done. Let me know if you've had the same issues.

Reactions: Superendo
Three-position dynamic LED turning lights in new, custom Model S

TLDR: From about Sept-Dec 2017, Model S and Xs without PUP were delivered without this standard adaptive headlights. In addition, Model Xs seem to be missing their standard hitch as well. After initial "Your car is built correctly" responses from the Tesla, it was finally acknowledge that the cars should have the adaptive headlights and the current situation is that they are coming up with a process to recall and retrofit all cars. Depending on your local SC, they MAY order the headlights and retrofit you individually now. There have been some reported cases of individual retrofits but not being able to enable the lights, so best wait for the formal corporate recall, however long that may take....

Last edited:
Three-position dynamic LED turning lights in new, custom Model S

TLDR: From about Sept-Dec 2017, Model S and Xs without PUP were delivered without this standard adaptive headlights. In addition, Model Xs seem to be missing their standard hitch as well. After initial "Your car is built correctly" responses from the Tesla, it was finally acknowledge that the cars should have the adaptive headlights and the current situation is that they are coming up with a process to recall and retrofit all cars. Depending on your local SC, they MAY order the headlights and retrofit you individually now. There have been some reported cases of individual retrofits but not being able to enable the lights, so best wait for the formal corporate recall, however long that may take....

They said they are in stock but will not work yet due to lack of validation of the firmware.

Are there any Model S RWD owners here whose cars were delivered with upgraded 4.3 seconds 0-60 mph but without the adaptive headlights? I have a suspicion that these cars are missing the upgraded performance in addition to the adaptive headlights.

Are there any Model S RWD owners here whose cars were delivered with upgraded 4.3 seconds 0-60 mph but without the adaptive headlights? I have a suspicion that these cars are missing the upgraded performance in addition to the adaptive headlights.
I have a S75 delivered in September 2017 without adaptive headlights (since retro-fitted). Powertool is showing about 4.7s 0-60 in non-ideal conditions. I'm pretty sure it is a 4.3s car. If you have access to your options, check to see if you have the DU01 option, which is the larger drive unit. That's what the 4.3s RWD cars are supposed to have...

I have a S75 delivered in September 2017 without adaptive headlights (since retro-fitted). Powertool is showing about 4.7s 0-60 in non-ideal conditions. I'm pretty sure it is a 4.3s car. If you have access to your options, check to see if you have the DU01 option, which is the larger drive unit. That's what the 4.3s RWD cars are supposed to have...
Sure. I was pretty content too before driving the loaners. But, I expect the car to do a little quicker than 4.3 seconds (not 4.7 seconds) in most of the conditions - just like how the Model 3, the 75D, and the 100D perform better than the advertised numbers, not slower.

Last edited:
The S75 RWD has always had the larger drive unit. We're not sure what changes were made with the DU01.

My headlights are wrong and I've asked multiple times if i have the performance upgrade and they say yes. Not sure how to check myself.