Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missed the memo? Slow supercharging close to home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Locality doesn't matter for me and shouldn't for anyone.

I hardly see rates above 80kw on my 75D. This is after the pack is warm on a decent summer day. It'll peak at 80kw for a few minutes and then it goes straight to 60kw and stays there until it hits 60-70% and starts to trickle down. Is this normal? Are there 75kWh batteries out there that charge at 90kw+ for more than a few minutes?

I read on here that sometimes the connector gets too warm and putting a wet towel on it helps. Any truth in this?

Connector is fine, I wouldn't mess with it. I get 90+kw if no one is charging and SoC between 20 and 60. Car can make a lot of noise if it's hot outside.

This is the highest I have received. (No, I don't normally run the SOC this low often...) This rate only happens for about the first 80 km or so, then it goes to about 95 kW, yet the charge rate increases to more than 500 km/h, then gradually decreases, and as I claimed before once 50% SOC is reached it runs down to about 60 kW, then finishes at 90% with somewhere between 25 and 35 kW if I am patient enough to wait this long.

IMG_0180.JPG

Miles/hr rate at supercharger is meaningless, as it’s the average of the session.
I’m facepalming so hard... I was thinking the mph supercharging speed was instantaneous, which made me think my car was broken by charging at 30kw yet 200mph. Was seriously considering asking service center to take a look at my charging system
Thanks for the insight. Guess there will always be something I don’t know

Great points. Thanks for the thoughtful replies...

The car could have been a little cold. I will try again with a warmed up car, and maybe switch stalls. At least I verified that there was no "paired car" competing with me.

A note for people who don't already know ... The tapered charging rate is why you can reduce charging time on a trip by limiting each charge to just enough to get to the next supercharger with enough safety margin. The car's default for telling you how long to charge and when you have enough charge is always way high for me.

A note for people who don't already know ... The tapered charging rate is why you can reduce charging time on a trip by limiting each charge to just enough to get to the next supercharger with enough safety margin. The car's default for telling you how long to charge and when you have enough charge is always way high for me.
That depends on weather and some other factors which Tesla's estimator may not account for, such as speed limits it gets wrong, and how fast you like to drive. Haven't done a long distance trip in a couple of years, but last time I drove a 6000 miles and found evtripplanner to be very good at estimating based on how much above speed limit I like to drive, wind and temperature, while the car's estimates were off. Below is a picture of one of the worse underestimates, the car missed it by 30% SoC - weather was sunny, 50-60F, speed limit 80mph (yet the car kept showing less every time there was a long stretch of highway without actual signs AP could read) and I drove ~10mph over. After first few SC's on that trip I just learned to charge 20-30% more than the car recommended (which I did for the trip below, painful to wait above 90% SoC). Silver lining is that by watching energy usage, you can slow down to extend the range just right to arrive at the SC (which I also did on that trip, see how energy usage flatlined when it turned red - that was me going under the speed limit, changing speed so that estimated SoC at the SC was above 0%).

SC2SC.png

Last edited:
That depends on weather and some other factors which Tesla's estimator may not account for, such as speed limits it gets wrong, and how fast you like to drive. Haven't done a long distance trip in a couple of years, but last time I drove a 6000 miles and found evtripplanner to be very good at estimating based on how much above speed limit I like to drive, wind and temperature, while the car's estimates were off. Below is a picture of one of the worse underestimates, the car missed it by 30% SoC - weather was sunny, 50-60F, speed limit 80mph (yet the car kept showing less every time there was a long stretch of highway without actual signs AP could read) and I drove ~10mph over. After first few SC's on that trip I just learned to charge 20-30% more than the car recommended (which I did for the trip below, painful to wait above 90% SoC). Silver lining is that by watching energy usage, you can slow down to extend the range just right to arrive at the SC (which I also did on that trip, see how energy usage flatlined when it turned red - that was me going under the speed limit, changing speed so that estimated SoC at the SC was above 0%).

View attachment 345750
FWIW, and that may be little, it seems like recently the estimates have been very much on the safe side. So much, so, that even my wife was comfortable one time leaving with only an 8% arrival estimate. I don't recall ever arriving with less than 20% on our last 2700 mile trip, and we never dipped below estimate. I did nearly the same trip last year under identical conditions (even had storms in the same places) and the trip planner was cutting it closer then.
Purely anecdotal, for sure.

View attachment 345750

That's amazing. Even when I was driving around in Arizona on the 80 MPH stretches my trip estimator still beat the original estimate.

That's amazing. Even when I was driving around in Arizona on the 80 MPH stretches my trip estimator still beat the original estimate.
Maybe they fixed it. My trip was exactly 2 years ago. Hopefully they updated their speed limits on maps because I think that may be a large contributor (if they assumed I would drive at 65mph but the speed limit was 80 which translated to 80-90mph trip). It would be nice if they accounted for current weather conditions or better yet apply machine learning to other cars that have driven the same segments between superchargers in similar weather and similar car. I say it would be nice because Tesla doesn't put a lot of weight on such boring features, they are focusing on splashy things like self driving, leaving the simple things mediocre (like their WiFi connection for example).