Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mini Spare For Model 3, Hyundai Genesis 18" works

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gene

Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2013
Santa Barbara, CA
I bought a Hyundai Genesis 18" spare on ebay for $100 with free shipping. I mounted it front and back and took a drive each time for a few miles. It works perfectly. The standard Tesla lug nuts fit the wheel just fine. The tire that comes on this spare is easily rated for the weight of the Model 3. Diameter is the same as tires that come on the 3. This mini spare takes up way less room in your trunk and weighs 15 pounds less than bringing along a full size Aero wheel and tire.

I would suggest only carrying a spare if you are going off to areas with little to no Tesla service and especially no cell service. I spend a fair amount of time on the Navajo and Hopi lands where one needs to be self sufficient. In most cases a plug kit and compressor is all you need but there is always the small chance of a complete blowout.

I recommend you buy one or two of these jack pads to carry with you along with a scissors jack and breaker bar with short extension and 21mm socket. My preferred: Jack Pad: Tesla

Last edited:
I recommend you buy one or two of these jack pads to carry with you along with a scissors jack and breaker bar with short extension and 21mm socket. My preferred: Jack Pad: Tesla
797079719.jpg

IMG_1091.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Deal and DR61
I bought a Hyundai Genesis 18" spare on ebay for $100 with free shipping. I mounted it front and back and took a drive each time for a few miles. It works perfectly. The standard Tesla lug nuts fit the wheel just fine. The tire that comes on this spare is easily rated for the weight of the Model 3. Diameter is the same as tires that come on the 3. This mini spare takes up way less room in your trunk and weighs 15 pounds less than bringing along a full size Aero wheel and tire.

I would suggest only carrying a spare if you are going off to areas with little to no Tesla service and especially no cell service. I spend a fair amount of time on the Navajo and Hopi lands where one needs to be self sufficient. In most cases a plug kit and compressor is all you need but there is always the small chance of a complete blowout.

How much clearance did you have on the rear caliper to the barrel? Wondering if the 17" could possibly fit.

I bought a Hyundai Genesis 18" spare on ebay for $100 with free shipping.

This mini spare takes up way less room in your trunk and weighs 15 pounds less than bringing along a full size Aero wheel and tire.

In most cases a plug kit and compressor is all you need but there is always the small chance of a complete blowout.

I recommend you buy one or two of these jack pads to carry with you along with a
scissors jack and breaker bar with short extension and 21mm socket. My preferred: Jack Pad: Tesla
Great idea! Thanks for the tip.

Could you show how the spare and the scissors jack fit in the trunk.

Can you put the scissors jack inside the wheel, and may be a 4-way or a torque Lug Wrench on top?

How do you keep everything tight to avoid them moving when on a bumpy road?

Last edited:
Great idea! Thanks for the tip.

Could you show how the spare and the scissors jack fit in the trunk.

Can you put the scissors jack inside the wheel?
No, the jack will not fit in the wheel. I keep the scissors jack in the frunk along with a smallish Vi-Air compressor (I forget the model, about $75), a 1/2" drive breaker bar/6" extension/21mm socket, and an ARB plug kit. The scissors jack has the crank taped tightly to it and is wrapped in an old towel (to avoid clanking noises while driving). The spare you can put in the trunk wherever you please. I carry the spare only on road trips to lands that are void of services. If you were to be in a major accident the spare could come right through the back seat and kill you. So, carry it only in circumstances where you have carefully weighed the cost/benefit. I used to have a Model S that had the large frunk. It was able to carry a full size spare , yet again, I was cautious when to bring it along as in a head-on, that spare might cost me my life.

No, the jack will not fit in the wheel.
I keep the scissors jack in the frunk along with a smallish Vi-Air compressor (I forget the model, about $75),
a 1/2" drive breaker bar/6" extension/21mm socket, and an ARB plug kit.
The scissors jack has the crank taped tightly to it and is wrapped in an old towel (to avoid clanking noises while driving).
I was thinking that you could have but everything together inside the wheel.
sparetirejack01.jpg

The spare you can put in the trunk wherever you please.
I carry the spare only on road trips to lands that are void of services.
I had the impression that there was some free space under the liner between the bumper and the rear axle?
Could you put the tire vertically? But may be there is a small space only on the Model S.
r9bXiuiy.jpg
?

If you were to be in a major accident the spare could come right through the back seat and kill you.
So, carry it only in circumstances where you have carefully weighed the cost/benefit.
I used to have a Model S that had the large frunk. It was able to carry a full size spare, yet again,
I was cautious when to bring it along as in a head-on, that spare might cost me my life.
If you put the tire horizontally behind the back seat, how much distance is there between the bumper and the spare?
012.jpg

If you are concern about been back ended, can you put build a box and keep it vertical then, a little bit like this picture?
4454_143022___DSC00727_zps7202f7d2.jpg

Otherwise, if you are very concern about safety, you could install the spare above the rear bumper?
mini-cooper-spare-tire.jpg

Last edited:
Are there any tie-down rings in the Model 3 trunk? If so a compact spare could be strapped down so it is not a safety hazard.
Is this really a concern? How many people really get hit by things in their trunk? The spare only weighs about 30 pounds right? I've put things heavier than that in every car I've owned :D
RX8SpareTireMountingKit.jpg

I wonder if you could mount it like this?

Reactions: akidesir
Are there any tie-down rings in the Model 3 trunk? If so a compact spare could be strapped down so it is not a safety hazard.
When I was at the store looking I was pretty disappointed in the lack of tie down rings. Maybe I just couldn't find them? The trunk reminded me of older cars that lacked such things, then again there's a reason I like modern hatchbacks. For me the truck seemed like it would mostly be wasted space. Some nice sturdy tie downs to hold a keg or carboy, or propane tank would really go a long way. Nothing like having a propane tank loose in your trunk right? I guess you just have to seat belt them into the back seat?

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
No, the jack will not fit in the wheel. I keep the scissors jack in the frunk along with a smallish Vi-Air compressor (I forget the model, about $75), a 1/2" drive breaker bar/6" extension/21mm socket, and an ARB plug kit. The scissors jack has the crank taped tightly to it and is wrapped in an old towel (to avoid clanking noises while driving). The spare you can put in the trunk wherever you please. I carry the spare only on road trips to lands that are void of services. If you were to be in a major accident the spare could come right through the back seat and kill you. So, carry it only in circumstances where you have carefully weighed the cost/benefit. I used to have a Model S that had the large frunk. It was able to carry a full size spare , yet again, I was cautious when to bring it along as in a head-on, that spare might cost me my life.
Presumably (Tesla is still frantically building my M3...hopefully) the firewalls on the M3 are sturdy enough to prevent a tire from smashing through. Are they that flimsy? I can see they might not be built to ICE standards but...

Presumably (Tesla is still frantically building my M3...hopefully) the firewalls on the M3 are sturdy enough to prevent a tire from smashing through. Are they that flimsy? I can see they might not be built to ICE standards but...
It's not that firewall (is it really still called a firewall for an EV? :p) is flimsy, it's just that putting a spare tire which is relatively solid object that won't deform into area that is made to crumple and deform, therefore absorbing energy, is potentially dangerous. Since the car was not designed to carry a spare tire, I doubt it was taken into account for crashing testing. Will it drastically change crash survivability? Maybe or maybe not. It will definitely change crash impact behavior in some way though, so it is good to at least be conscious of the potential ramifications by doing so.

Is there enough room to put the wheel on the trunk ceiling if one was to mount some sort of strapping? I'd want as much of the trunk free for road trips as possible without having to pull the wheel when accessing the trunk.

Also, as mentioned above, would it fit in the frunk with the liner removed? Personally I would prefer to keep all my roadside assistance stuff up front and then wouldn't care of the liner was there or not if it means the wheel is there.

This is a perfect thread for those who don't agree with Tesla's decision that a spare tire is unnecessary. Thank you for your information.
It's not that Tesla feels it is unnecessary, it is just general trend across the whole industry. In the ever more increasing push for more fuel economy, carrying dead weight of spare and jack that may never be used was easy place to cut out weight. Most times the pump and tire sealant are just as adequate in a pinch without the weight penalty. Last time I had a vehicle with an actual spare tire was 2000 when I had a pickup truck. Every car since then just had pump and tire sealant and have never needed to use. I'm sure I just jinxed myself. :p