Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mileage collapse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a S75D which used to give a reliable 200 miles of usable range after 100% charge. I drive in an ordinary way with no heavy acceleration but in the same way always have the heating/AC on. In winter my efficiency was around 350 and in summer closer to 320. Only on a long motorway summer journey did I ever get the "typical" efficiency of 300.

However since the reduction in 'regeneration' over the last couple of months in the last software update, my efficiency in January and February is now 400. This is giving me a usable range of 140 miles on a full charge.

I have been so depressed by the full charge range telling me that I have 227 miles on a full charge and then only getting 140miles, that I have changed the readout from miles or percentage. This makes it easier to psychologically accept my collapsed range...

How many other UK owners are suffering such a range reduction through battery inefficiency?

Has anyone raised issues of battery efficiency with service departments with any satisfactory outcome?

However since the reduction in 'regeneration' over the last couple of months in the last software update, my efficiency in January and February is now 400. This is giving me a usable range of 140 miles on a full charge.

I find that there is a significant variation depending on the character of my journeys. Any journeys of less than 20 miles, particularly with stops for any length of time ... and then another shortish leg of the journey, I find are really having an impact on range at this time of the year. I can sometimes lose a couple of percent just being parked up between the parts of journeys. The car doesn't go into an efficient sleep in those circumstances (and that's not with Sentry Mode). If I do 50 miles or more in one go then the average range is very much better, in fact quite close to warm weather range. However, if I add up my short journeys and look at the battery percentage that has been consumed I can average it out to being similar to what you describe.

Personally I haven't noticed a huge difference in range over long journeys - I've been driving my S70 for four years now. In cold weather this winter I agree with other's observations that regen starts weaker and takes longer to reach full capacity, and I expect it's increasing consumption on short trips but there are so many variables (journey type, traffic, various weather conditions) I'd find it hard to say definitively whether there has been a noticeable impact. So if 140 miles is for a series of short trips over several days I could understand that it might require recharging more often but I doubt it's having a significant impact on range for longer trips (which is arguably where it really matters unless accessing a charge point is inconvenient).

One way to mitigate against reduced regen is gentler driving and trying to avoid the brake pedal as much as possible, although this won't compensate if the battery heater is running more often. I suppose it's in conflict with Tesla's "sporty/fast" image but I used to own a Prius and the old hypermiling habits die hard.

One side-benefit will be the brake discs getting more use, so the increased cost of electricity (assuming you pay for it) may be outweighed by the improved health & lower maintenance costs of your brakes. Every cloud and all that.

I have a S75D which used to give a reliable 200 miles of usable range after 100% charge. I drive in an ordinary way with no heavy acceleration but in the same way always have the heating/AC on. In winter my efficiency was around 350 and in summer closer to 320. Only on a long motorway summer journey did I ever get the "typical" efficiency of 300.

The reality is that you Model S's battery could have been voltage capped by Tesla, along with a reduction in Supercharging rates and regen (when cold). Tesla may also have modified the W/Mi value used to determine your range.

Your life is too long to read all this thread but Page 1 will tell you all you need to know.

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

How many other UK owners are suffering such a range reduction through battery inefficiency?

Has anyone raised issues of battery efficiency with service departments with any satisfactory outcome?

If you contact Tesla, they will tell you your battery "within limits" and is OK.

Unfortunately, you will have to await the outcome of the class action in the US to see what happens to owners with affected battery packs.

Winter mileage collapse...a feature of the car they don’t seem to promote in the sales specification. I was a bit annoyed when I found out my car won’t do even 200 miles in winter too. I just don’t drive everywhere at 50-60mph and don’t want to be forced to stop to charge or be asking relatives to plug in my car When I’m only driving 90 miles from home.

With some behaviour change you can make it work but it needs more planning and is less convenient.

I have certainly noticed the lower regeneration and my short journeys seem less efficient than before.

BUT I find the range on long motorway journeys is basically unaffected. Once the battery is warm, I think it is fine. I think Tesla have just increased the battery temperature that is required for particular levels of regeneration.

I have also enabled Range Mode, to avoid what I consider is some amount of wasted energy on battery heating for short journeys

The reality is that you Model S's battery could have been voltage capped by Tesla, along with a reduction in Supercharging rates and regen (when cold). Tesla may also have modified the W/Mi value used to determine your range.

Your life is too long to read all this thread but Page 1 will tell you all you need to know.

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software
If the OP's S75D car is pre-facelift it could be voltage capping, but IIRC there are very few, if any, 75's that are affected by this.

I haven't seen any definitive evidence of the Wh/mi value used to determine nominal range (as in the Typical/Rated value displayed below the battery icon) being adjusted.

75's are definitely affected by reduction in Supercharging rates, related to how much DC charging has been done over the life of the battery, but this was known before chargegate (voltage capping) appeared. This has apparently been extended to limit regen at a wider range of cooler/non-optimal battery temperatures which, I think, is the issue the OP is experiencing (as am I).