Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 shot after 4,000 miles???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have about 17k miles on these Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's. In running the 255/45ZR19 all around. Wear is fine for me to date. These tires are awesome. Grip is amazing. Ride quality and feel are way better than the Goodyears and primacies. It's likely I'll never put a different type of tire on the car. That's how great these tires are. Best tire I've ever driven on ever in my life in dry and wet conditions and performance (no slip on P85). I cannot say enough good things about them. These tires should be the standard OEM 19" performance tire offered on the car for the P85.

Your wear rate is completely due to misalignment. Take your car to a real alignment shop with staff that knows what they are doing because clearly your service center doesn't (or their alignment machine is out of whack or the specs are programmed incorrectly, which has been the case before at some service centers).

Did you have any issues with rubbing using the 255 in front, and which rims were you using?

S85, 19" OEM wheels. Has anyone else seen this from an all-season tire on the 19" wheel? During annual service, Tesla declined to rotate and balance saying my rear tires were at life on the inner part of the tire. My factory Goodyears lasted 19,000 miles. While the climate I'm driving in has changed, my driving style has not. Tesla assured me that alignment is correct. Could it need a camber adjustment? I will not put these tires back on if they have 1/4 the life of the OEM Goodyear.

I have a set of Nokian ZLine's on my car and the inside groove of the rears is at 6/32 after 3000km! I asked for before and after printouts of an alignment today with my annual service and everything looked fine.

Ther is a very sophisticated wonderful thread on this that covers most any possible angle of this issue, including resolving most of the problem, courtesy of lolachampcar:

Negative Camber in the Rear and Expensive Tires

+1

Hyper

Doug is still looking for speakers/experts at '15 TMC Connect. I would be willing to bet a set of 20's that you, champ, and yobig would pack the room!

Unfortunately...

+1

Hyper

Doug is still looking for speakers/experts at '15 TMC Connect. I would be willing to bet a set of 20's that you, champ, and yobig would pack the room!

Link,

how kind of you to say that. Lola would be the one, not me. Am pretty sure he could be talked into it, no?Unfortunately, my calendar does not permit to fly in from Europe, but I certainly would have loved to attend to listen! Will try to make the time next year, though.

+1

Hyper

Wish I could haha but being on the east coast, 3 kids, 2 dogs, sold house, building new one 300 miles away, moving temporarily, working 16 hours a day, kinda has me preoccupied. :p

Speaking of michelin's though, I had a doozy today. When I got out of my car this morning I heard a hissing. Thought nothing of it at first and as I was walking away about to get on the train I stopped myself and said "let me just double check that sound" and as soon as I got closer to my car i could hear it clear as day emanating from my rear passenger tire. Sure enough a nail. Quickly got out my digital reader and tire read 45psi. Ok must be minor. Unless I just picked it up now in the parking garage. Waited a minute and checked again. 44psi. Ok not minor. Got back in car and drove 45 miles home (mind you this was at 5am and tire shop where I got my michelins doesn't open until 7:30). Checked again at home. 35psi. Crap. Filled it up to 46psi. It was 6:30 now. Waited until 7 went outside. Checked tire. 0psi completely flat. Tire shop is about 7 miles away. Filled it back up to 48psi and drove directly to shop. They jacked it up and took the nail out. Check out this baby:

104e5287d9120cec19ad2d369e6bc36a.jpg

Fortunately it was repairable. 25k miles on these and I have about 7/32" on the rear and 6/32" on the front set. Didn't want to fork out $$$$ for new set since these tires halve half their life left on them still. These should last me 45-50k. Looking good. I actually try to keep them inflated to around 48psi to be able to actually get 300-310Wh/mi. That seems to help. Tire wear seems completely normal.

By the way, it's worth noting that Tesla's TPMS gave no warnings at all. Even when it was at 35psi or even 0psi I got no warnings whatsoever. I guess Tesla's TPMS is broken.

I wonder if I had 21s how these would hold up. (Haha I already know the answer: tire would have ripped to shreds and would have been driving on the rim destroying rim too and possibly damaging suspension. Glad I have 19s. :)