Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Meet up - Kettleman City, CA. Sunday 2/18 10:30 am

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Temperature-wise Sunday looks quite nice and comfortable in Kettleman. Winds however are expected to pick up all morning and according to wunderground projected to peak there at 15mph around 4pm. Pretty much same wind pattern projected along the coastal cities and San Francisco Bay and inland along 580 northbound when heading home (with winds projected slightly higher). Winds will be from the NNW NW WNW generally depending on location, so keep this in mind when charging for return trip home particularly those headed west and northbound. Those heading back to the San Luis Obisbo area projected winds from the NW are projected up to 19mph. Up 101 King City, Salinas, Monterey, the same. For those southern Santa Maria-Santa Ynez valley cities wind projected up to 23mph also coming from a WNW direction. From Santa Barbara and south the winds are projected to be more mild around 12mph generally and from the S WSW.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Blu Zap and bmah
Just thought I'd mention that for anyone driving to the Sunday Meet Up and driving up along the coast or maybe will be in the general Vandenberg AFB area early Sunday morning, SpaceX has delayed the scheduled Falcon 9 launch of the PAZ/Starlink satellites to Sunday now, right around dawn. It was suppose to launch early this a.m. I know last summer when we were staying in Arroyo Grande our B&B host said you could see the launch from their place (we drove down towards Vandenberg for the launch that weekend hoping to beat the launch time but caught it from the highway near there--still very cool).

SpaceX F9 - 9th Reuse - Paz & Starlink Test Sats - SLC-4E

Last edited:
I will not be there tomorrow. However, if anyone decides to drive home via the Fresno Supercharger, send me a private note and I will give you my cell phone number. I can meet you at the SC when you arrive. It is only 4 miles from our house.

Have fun everyone!

Hey folks, we have 15 owners attending. Here's the list: @Petra @Dag @KJD @roblab @bishoppeak @thecloud @Nosken @bmah @SMAlset @Branzo90D @Blu Zap @Suthy48 and from Facebook Ken Spencer, Nesi Nguyen and Tonto Dutta. Let me know if there is anyone else.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!! This will be fun!

FYI-I am Nosken and Ken Spencer from Facebook-I'm a big guy, but only count as 1.5 people, not 2 :) I am in a Titanium S90D with CA black plate DRV SELF. See you all in the morning.

• Funny
Reactions: SMAlset and Blu Zap
I appreciate you getting this organized, as I really wanted to see a larger gathering of Teslas outside the confines of the Fremont factory.
The wife and i finally hashed it out l so we could make the trip to meet you all at kettleman city.

Looking forward to the event, will probably be bringing donuts as well.

Reactions: Blu Zap and bmah
What a great day and so nice to meet everyone. Thanks guys for making this happen. I think our most northern owners came from Napa (thanks Roblab for the test drive on your Model 3) and our most southern from Lancaster near LA (great to you see you again Petra). I know people's photos at Kettleman will follow including our group photo.

Some thoughts on the day. Have to say I was very impressed with Tesla's Kettleman SC/lounge and glad for the opportunity to charge there. A number of us continued on to Harris Ranch SC and had lunch at the Restaurant there. Had no idea how large the Harris Inn and Restaurant was...an oasis with tall palms in the middle of wide open cattle and ag country. Food was very good. Winds were picking up in the afternoon but the MS was solidly planted to the road. We headed north on I-5 and decided to stop at the Gustine SC before heading over 152 to the Bay Area. I had apparently never checked out the Gustine SC thread because I didn't realize it was in the back of Anderson's PeaSoup Restaurant (which is really in Santa Nella so found the Gustine SC name interesting). Very strong winds there around 4pm. Stopped in for a quick coffee and dessert while charging a bit. Pacheco Pass was pretty uneventful. Look forward to checking out the San Felipe SC at the 152 Pacheco Hwy Casa de Fruita location when it opens soon (it's located in Hollister but called San Felipe SC another head scratcher). One last quick SC visit at Gilroy where we ran into EVie'sDad before heading home.

Definitely up for more Tesla adventures down the road. What do you guys think of a summer one at Shoreline Park in Mt. View where we can do a group picnic, people can walk along the bay or paddle boat in the little lake there? Great place for kids and even one's dogs. People can get a charge down the road at the Mt. View SC (I know long lines but maybe the other Mt. View location will be open by that point). There are a number of chargers north of there (Palo Alto expected this year), and eventually the Sunnyvale and Cupertino locations will be open. Mt. View can be pretty easily accessed from the East Bay too.

Last edited:
Hey group! Fun time today!! How much fun can you have at a SuperCharger?! Well, we sure did! Kettleman City SuC is outstanding. Fantastic lounge, great coffee bar (thank you baristas) and plenty of chargers for everyone! Thanks to @roblab for sharing his new Model 3. Test rides and test drives! Great orientation to the latest model!

Thanks to @thecloud for the bagels. Thanks to @EVie'sDad for the donuts. We had plenty going on in and out of the owners lounge.
Another thanks to all the very patient spouses and partners that supported a lot of "Tesla talk".

@Nosken took some great photos! We will upload the group photo as soon as we get it.

After KC SuC we had 12 folks for lunch at Harris Ranch, Yet more good times!

Feedback is across the board, "we need to do more of these". Your ideas are welcome. That's how we make it happen!

Tom

What a fun day! (well for me anyway, I think six hours in the car was a bit much for my son, but hey he survived) Many thanks to @Blu Zap and @thecloud for organizing stuff, and to
@EVie'sDad for the original idea. @SMAlset's weather briefing was extremely helpful...the winds today were pretty darn strong, and the effect on energy usage and range was obvious. We ended up stopping in Gustine (which should really be called Santa Nella, darnit) both ways.

Kettleman City is really a destination in and of itself. The lounge is a great place to hang out, although most of us were I think clustered around our cars. My wife ordered an "autopilot" from the barristas, and received a latte with a dash of vanilla and cinnamon in a Tesla T logo. We got a couple of T-shirts...my son had his eye on a corp jacket but they don't come in kids sizes. When I walked out of the lounge, I was surprised to see everybody from our group gone, only to find they were all swarming around @roblab's Model 3!

There were a surprising (to me) number of Model 3s at Kettleman City. I've never seen more than one at a time in the wild, even in the Tesla-infested Bay Area, so spotting several in one place was a treat. Thank you to @roblab for graciously giving rides and test drives...I think everyone came away impressed. My wife told me about meeting some new Model 3 owners who just took delivery at Fremont last night, and were passing through on their way back home to...Alabama!

Lunch at Harris Ranch was delicious, and a great way to continue conversations from the morning. Highly recommend a stop here.

Three years ago I would never have pictured driving 200 miles to a place in the middle of nowhere to meet up with a bunch of other car owners, most of whom I only knew on-line! But yep, definitely want to do more meet-ups like this.

Bruce.

PS. Will try to post some pictures tomorrow.

Wonderful time yesterday at Kettleman City and Harris Ranch. On the way home, I stopped by Merced and got to test drive my Nephews Model 3. Great car, well finished and KILLER sound system.
Thanks to all that made this a wonderful day.
Here are links to albums anyone can upload or download. The first one is for a smaller photos set of better photos, while the second one is for all photos.
Here is the smaller shared album
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pc1WHk8w9OImvJpv2

Here are all photos
https://photos.app.goo.gl/i0MhauFLutTtrary2

iO6cmox_NACxxYddILfYOO2HbJJCvf7CvuquPU6G5EfFRVUWb0Revrh_64ELuI7xRXoGvQPuX7P1HKYhTYNkWQDvn2iMYCkD2l8TkukZQLscG3v9G96QDjIt02O88LzwV-NEBGAcZL_K_qqJQTTphH82afgypOfS1gwHcBovrqp3WheR6ic1Zp42A94SdR0df-A_qMUz5oxKjFRa6kFwF8S3UOjjeurn1ZNfh5qv_PoM6LG15EWMnB8NZWYYXBg1RoTNN7FHecONnlVp3F5TUB_NXa4QD7S1YfYXclM72FstBCOUsfTKODWn4g88jewXDF5c7wJUPlnp3NnRV6RJczaTcojzAzYrxPY1iCPMsoCAm2hInij3Zhz92nqjWy6c6HV3FWVWCNqzVVTAqPsetqDKoW71EwgMe-pv_5C7MSvP_QfkCs5zHLiYAe7Sr8vDp9vDVl8L3TlxZSmi7qITnu23BikQEHS-o7bHdTMW5JlZ7u0mGv3jfPtk_cvByJ-w2lRY3mSOaY97D-UEpiBQjmChR0brgSCIEvQ1eIneTEm25PIF3dZUSp2iQlTNG_DQfG5bvdLOdpU77JtukF5JOBGd-eIcP0XcQoP7_E5qmFUBfjIFJDXVJdLYmxGGLml-4Zxk5SxS-S9B1H08feRNsghktQ=w1802-h1333-no

It was great to meet everyone! Thanks to all for making the effort to come out. A spectacular day for a drive (even with the wind), lots of friendly folks sharing their stories, and a chance to check out Teslas of (almost) every type and color. There were a lot of Model 3s, at least one each in white, red, blue, and grey. Funny how my 2014 P85 now feels "old". :eek:

Previously hadn't noticed a huge range decrease at the higher speeds one finds possible on I-5, and chalked up most of the difference between rated and actual miles to elevation changes. With the wind, it was much more obvious to me how slowing down increases the range. Still, we easily made the drive from Sunnyvale to Kettleman City on one charge. AP was set at 70, but frequently slowed down on the drive home as Sunday afternoon traffic got worse. (Apparently a small plane had landed on 101 a few hours earlier, which didn't help.)

Looking forward to the next event, wherever it is!

Thanks @Nosken for taking the photos! Still kicking myself that I didn't think to take a photo when the supercharger was more full; at one point it seemed close to 50% occupancy. Definitely were other owners there who had no idea about the meetup; we spoke to a couple who were headed to Vegas.

Electroman.

Perfect timing for your Palm Springs trip on 24-25th. LA, San Diego and Orange County clubs will be there at that time.

Palm Springs Weekend

Our second event in March is a joint venture with the Orange County and San Diego Tesla Clubs. On the weekend of March 24 & 25th, we will be meeting in Palm Springs for a Saturday night dinner, Sunday brunch and a fun trip on the Aerial Tramway. We will be staying in historic downtown and if you'd like to join us, please make your own room reservations. There are still rooms available at several hotels in the area such as the Marquis Villas, Palm Mountain Resort, and the Renaissance Palm Springs (use a site like www.trivago.com for the best pricing).

If you will be joining us for the Palm Springs event, please reply to this e-mail so we can send you further information about brunch and dinner reservations as we get closer to the event date.

A few fun photos:

Final approach to Kettleman City:

IMG_3021.jpg

Well what's going on here...looks like a Tesla owners meet-up!

IMG_3024.jpg

Parking behind @Blu Zap's car, and trying not to run over fellow TMC members:

IMG_3027.jpg

It's funny how this Supercharger can feel both full and empty at the same time. We had a lot of cars but we were still bouncing around in this place (there are a bunch more stalls out of frame to the right):

IMG_3056.jpg

Watching @roblab and his wife wipe the Central Valley bugsplatter off their brand new Model 3:

IMG_1580.jpg

Riding along on a test drive in @roblab's Model 3, with @Petra driving, @roblab shotgun:

IMG_1582.jpg

That seemed like fun, so my wife and son took a ride, with @bishoppeak driving and @roblab shotgun. Maybe we can convince her to get one of these for her next car...

IMG_1584.jpg

Departing with @Blu Zap to Harris Ranch:

IMG_3067.jpg

We had to stop at Gustine to charge on the way home due to winds. I've never been at Gustine when there were more than a couple other cars so this warranted a picture (more charging stalls out of frame to the right):

IMG_1594.jpg

Bruce.

Attachments

• IMG_3072.jpg
    IMG_3072.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 36