Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Media stop comparing Bolt to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who is afraid of the comparison ? And why?

Exactly. These comparison are really only going to highlight how much better Tesla is.

The comparison is natural as they are the only two EVs under $40K, with 200+ mile range, that have been announced.

I really hope that when Bolt is released, Tesla has some finalized preproduction cars they can loan some car magizines for some real Head-to-Head testing.

Who doesn't want to see the HtH review where the TM3 blows the doors of the Bolt?

Get real. The universe of existing and known near-term 200+ mile BEVs consists of 4 models (S, X, 3, and Bolt) from 2 companies (Tesla, GM).

A substantial fraction of all customers interested in plugin cars want this kind of EV range in their next car. They are desperate. There is only one car in each category:

Large car: S
Compact sedan: 3
SUV: X
Compact CUV: Bolt

Many will compare some of these cars against each other because the alternative is that they have no choice at all within the category of car they are looking for and people like to pretend that they have control and choices.

I think the comparison between the Bolt and the Model 3 is fine.
Yes, a 60 kWh battery with an estimated EPA rated range of more than 200 miles makes the Chevrolet Bolt a long range electric vehicle. This range is enough for most people if they have a charging station at home.
Even occasional 300-350 mile trips should be possible with the Bolt if there is a 50 kW charging station on the way.

I think the Bolt will be a lot of fun to drive. It should be similar to the BMW i3, which is a lot of fun as well.
No, it will not be as dynamic as the Model 3; however, for regular drivers 0-60 in 7 seconds and 5-60 in about 7 seconds should easily be enough.

What I do not like about the Chevrolet Bolt is the fact that they didn't do a good job on aerodynamics.
It is said to have a drag coefficient of 0.31 as well as a fairly large frontal area.
This might diminish real world highway-range.

In summary, I think the Bolt will be a good ev with a decent range – the Model 3 on the other hand will be a phenomenal ev with an even better (real world) range and supercharge capability.

Reactions: Jaff
The Bolt/leaf are two of the ugliest cars I've ever seen. It's hilarious that these car manufacturers can't seem to produce an attractive EV. I can sketch up renderings in 5 minutes that blow those two cars away aesthetically...it just makes no sense to me.

Then in comes Tesla with a gorgeous, mid-range priced EV. 0-60 in under 6s STANDARD, w/autonomous capability and a jaw-dropping interior display ...there is just no comparison. The Bolt and Leaf are going to be decimated.

Solar panels on roofs and windmills are ugly too. And to be honest, Formula 1 cars are ugly. So are those stupid HOV stickers.

Hopefully the modern car buyers realize this and abolish these travesties, and outlaw all cars that don't look like Jaguar sedans.

Trivia - The modern car most commonly referred to as the World's Ugliest Car, was the Pontiac Aztek. It did not become a fashion icon until Breaking Bad came out, far after the car was buried face down in an unmarked grave.

However, the Ugliest Car was actually one of the most practical cars of all time and was awarded both the Worst and Best car awards. It actually revolutionized that market segment. The Aztek sold 120k units under the Pontiac badging, and with a facelift + upfitting sold 350k units under the Buick branding as a Rendezvous. The Aztek did have one of the highest Customer Satisfaction Indexes of it's time as did the Buick. People who actually owned them, loved them.

Now you know! :D

The Bolt is a tin can with a battery. Same design language and performance as the cheapest subcompacts, of which GM has a couple. The model 3 looks pretty good, is a car people won't be embarrassed to be seen in, and will have decent performance. If anything compare to the Volt, which I checked out and was disappointed by the cheap finishes like the black plastic between the doors. Grow up GM

Since you want to tell the "media" what to do, I suggest that you actually contact people in the media rather than posting on a forum.

You also seem to have incredible and deep wisdom about GM and how they should "grow up", you should write a letter to GM expressing the wisdom you have expressed here. There are hundreds of thousands of US jobs interlinked with GM's fate and given your detailed understanding of their need to "grow up" you have a moral obligation to share that insight directly with GM.

• Funny
Reactions: Lunarx
Solar panels on roofs and windmills are ugly too. And to be honest, Formula 1 cars are ugly. So are those stupid HOV stickers.

Hopefully the modern car buyers realize this and abolish these travesties, and outlaw all cars that don't look like Jaguar sedans.

Trivia - The modern car most commonly referred to as the World's Ugliest Car, was the Pontiac Aztek. It did not become a fashion icon until Breaking Bad came out, far after the car was buried face down in an unmarked grave.

However, the Ugliest Car was actually one of the most practical cars of all time and was awarded both the Worst and Best car awards. It actually revolutionized that market segment. The Aztek sold 120k units under the Pontiac badging, and with a facelift + upfitting sold 350k units under the Buick branding as a Rendezvous. The Aztek did have one of the highest Customer Satisfaction Indexes of it's time as did the Buick. People who actually owned them, loved them.

Now you know! :D

I don't know, the Nissan Juke and Scion xB are just as ugly, if not uglier. But yeah, these ugly cars need to have some inherent perks or bonuses or they are just destined for the scrap heap.

And I don't know what the hell BMW was thinking with the i3 - ugliest bimmer in the history of the company.

The Bolt is a tin can with a battery. Same design language and performance as the cheapest subcompacts, of which GM has a couple. The model 3 looks pretty good, is a car people won't be embarrassed to be seen in, and will have decent performance. If anything compare to the Volt, which I checked out and was disappointed by the cheap finishes like the black plastic between the doors. Grow up GM

There is nothing wrong with the Bolt if they fix their charger issue, they need that 150kW the CCS group has been hinting at. As for the network, I was impressed on how fast CCS fast chargers got rolled out. I have a spark, and the CCS locations are nearly what my Leaf has for Chademo. If they can go 150kW on CCS in say, 2 years, then that would make Bolt viable vs. Tesla.

Get real. The universe of existing and known near-term 200+ mile BEVs consists of 4 models (S, X, 3, and Bolt) from 2 companies (Tesla, GM).

A substantial fraction of all customers interested in plugin cars want this kind of EV range in their next car. They are desperate. There is only one car in each category:

Large car: S
Compact sedan: 3
SUV: X
Compact CUV: Bolt

Many will compare some of these cars against each other because the alternative is that they have no choice at all within the category of car they are looking for and people like to pretend that they have control and choices.
Here's how I'd make the breakout of 200+ mi cars, circa 2019:

Large luxury car: S
Compact luxury sedan: 3
Large CUV: X
Small CUV: Y (?)
Compact Hatchback: Bolt EV, LEAF, e-Golf

This is obviously more speculative than Jeff N's post, but highlights that the "traditional" BEV hatchback market is where there will likely be more direct competition.

Just ranting because GM treats the general public like idiots with their offerings and marketing. That's all

Then you should post on www.ineedtorantaboutsomethinganddon'tknowwheretogo.com

Protip: not everyone shares your views and there will be people who like what GM has to offer. And if there aren't enough of those people, then GM will offer something else or lower the price until people buy the product. Choice and variety: how does it work?

One main reason why the Bolt and Model 3 are not even in the same ballpark is because you can clearly tell Chevy designed the Bolt to be a service department money maker. Look at the "engine". They clearly designed it in such a way they can make a whole new service plan for EV's and still get stupid rich off it. I knew this was going to happen.

This is why I pre ordered the Model 3. Tesla has a super cleanly designed engine.

How big of an issue is the charging network? Perhaps more perception than reality?

I know a number of Model S owners who've never once used a supercharger and many who've never charged anywhere but at home and this hasn't been an issue for them. Most fly for longer trips and only use cars around town. My neighbor has a Leaf that is their preferred car around town but also have a Subaru Forrester that they use for trips and they are quite happy with this arrangement. I know another guy who has an i3 and uses carshare or rental for trips.

Lots of people will never need a long-distance charging network, but that doesn't stop people from making decisions based on what they "could" need.

That's the real issue with the weak CCS network: perception.

Then you should post on www.ineedtorantaboutsomethinganddon'tknowwheretogo.com

Protip: not everyone shares your views and there will be people who like what GM has to offer. And if there aren't enough of those people, then GM will offer something else or lower the price until people buy the product. Choice and variety: how does it work?

Here's an idea. How about you let him post whatever he feels is relevant on an open forum.

Reactions: rEVhappy and Lunarx
I think the Bolt and Nissan Leaf are in the same market segment as the Tesla Model 3 in terms of EV and competing with plugin cars like the Prius and gasoline/diesel cars. However, in terms of quality, design and value the Tesla Model 3 is competing with the BMW 3 series, Audi A4 and Volvo. The other cars mentioned are in Europe.competing with VW Golf, Ford Focus, Opel Astra and alike.

I don't see any problem with comparing the two. For people with EV as a must on their car buying list, there just aren't many options. Once the market fills in, they will stratify like ICE cars are. I think it is valid to say GM may run into an ELR type scenario against the 3 where there are better offerings at the same price even though the market is small, but we'll have to see.

For shoppers like myself the Bolt is not a competitor at all, but an ATS-E (you know, for EV) would be. Of course, it would have to cost the same, too, and actually exist...

Just ranting because GM treats the general public like idiots with their offerings and marketing. That's all

They don't treat me like an idiot. You must be not be communicating with them correctly. Use your nice words, and let us know how it goes.

You think that's bad? This guy says the Leaf is still better than the Model 3. :confused:
Nissan Leaf is Still Better Than Tesla: 5 Things You Didn't Know

I'd bring up different characteristics instead.

New ones can be had for $10,000 OTD including taxes and rebates. Disposable. Tires wear out? Leave it there and grab another.

It "looks" electric. If you want all your neighbors to bow to your Green-ness, nothing says "ew, is that an EV?" like a Leaf. The most EV looking car today.

Service facilities in nearly every city.

Plenty in stock and motivated dealers and factory incentives. They need to get rid of them. You can grab one on your lunch break and have them UPS it to your house. (kidding).

Defeats car jackers. It's not fast enough to outrun the cops, can be spotted for miles, and being seen in one might get unwarranted attention by fellow inmates. (kidding again).