Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Media Player Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a new owner of a refreshed MS. How can I stop the Media Player from resuming where it left off when I last left the car? Even if I mute the Media Player when leaving the car, as soon as I get in the car it fires right back up. WTF? I just want it to remember the state I left it in. If playing, fine, play on. But if mute (off), then be quiet until I turn it back on...

Mine remembers volume state, but seems to be forgetful of play/pause, particularly when playing from Internet stations. Is that what you're referring to?

There's been a variety of bugs in this area over the years that have been fixed and regressed, fixed and regressed. I'll be generous and say the current media player implementation is not very good.

Well there's two things you could consider "Off" since we have no off button: Paused, and Volume 0 (mute).

Volume 0 (mute) should persist. Play/Pause seems like it's supposed to, but sometimes doesn't depending on the audio source.

If you're doing the former, and Mute doesn't persist, I think something's wrong. Trying rebooting the center console.

I'm a new owner of a refreshed MS. How can I stop the Media Player from resuming where it left off when I last left the car? Even if I mute the Media Player when leaving the car, as soon as I get in the car it fires right back up. WTF? I just want it to remember the state I left it in. If playing, fine, play on. But if mute (off), then be quiet until I turn it back on...
OP, IMHO, the short answer is, the way your MS is operating is just the way it is.

It annoys some of us a lot more than others (some will respond that there are more important things for Elon and Tesla to spend their time on, but that isn't my and some others exact POV ;).) Media Player is inconsistent at best, and far from best of breed. It will turn itself back on in many situations after you have exited and re-enter, even if you have paused it before exiting. Turning the volume down to "0" as you'll find does not really do what at least I expect "OFF" to accomplish, so that's not a good workaround IMHO. Media Player also has the problem where it will not remember where in a track it was and generally restart at the beginning. We also have the (infamous) USB Phantom Playing problem where our MS will "play music to itself" going through your Usb stick even when MS is off, so you'll find it will be on a different song when you renter your Tesla. Net is, Media Player has many anomalies, a number of which are acknowledged by Tesla as bugs that "will be corrected by a future firmware release." Most have been discussed ad infinatum in other threads, so some searching will catch you up on all the variants. Some of us have suggested Tesla needs to have an "OFF Button" equivalent in addition to fixing acknowledged bugs, but to-date, it has not happened. Perhaps 8.0 will resolve some of these problems and add some sorely missing improvements to Infotainment.