Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mechanical Faults and fixes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently took out the frunk bin and noticed rust on what appears to be part of the steering assembly.
Note this is a RHD M3 with 62500 km and just out of warranty. Can anyone tell me what these parts are called so I can get appropriate service?
IMG_4392.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks to be whatever is connected to the universal joint. A quick Google finds this:

edit: Note that the above link is from the Model X forum but I'd guess that the steering components are similar, more than different from each of them.

edit2: Here's the Steering Column (RHD) (Remove and Replace) section from the Model 3 Service Manual:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hungry Mile
Looks to be whatever is connected to the universal joint. A quick Google finds this:

edit: Note that the above link is from the Model X forum but I'd guess that the steering components are similar, more than different from each of them.

edit2: Here's the Steering Column (RHD) (Remove and Replace) section from the Model 3 Service Manual:

Brilliant. Thanks for finding this. It certainly gives me the language and understanding to communicate more effectively with Tesla service.

As I note it’s an issue in the MS/X forum, this is a problem that most owners won’t see creeping up. As yet there seems no reference in a Model 3 forum to corrosion on the steering components.

Last edited:
Some feedback on this issue.
I raised a service with Tesla service and sent a photo of the corrosion as well. They got back to me to say this is surface rust and further, this part is not a steering component. Service call cancelled.
I'm still not sure, so I plan to visit the service centre and have someone eyeball the thing themselves just for reassurance.