Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mea Culpa - Need Driver-Facing Camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Preface: The below is entirely 100% my fault, no excuses.

We started driving later than we thought. ETA was 1:00AM. I had Navigate on Autopilot engaged. About 2 hours into the drive around 12AM, my eyes glazed over for a few seconds with my hand on the wheel. Next thing I knew my car hit a traffic cone. I swerved out of the lane and thankfully that was it. My car did sustain some minor damage. I could have plowed into more cones on the way to hitting the truck that was laying down the cones and I would not be here to type this.

I fully admit that it was 100% my fault. I know the limitations of EAP, should not have started driving so late, and should have pulled over when sleepy. Having said that, I don't think having hands on wheel is enough for some people (myself as a prime example). The Cadillac internal camera with eye detection sounds like something that would've helped keep me awake and us safe(r). My second MX is coming with AP2.5 and an inactivated driver-facing camera. Hopefully Tesla would implement something similar by activating said camera.

Preface: The below is entirely 100% my fault, no excuses.

We started driving later than we thought. ETA was 1:00AM. I had Navigate on Autopilot engaged. About 2 hours into the drive around 12AM, my eyes glazed over for a few seconds with my hand on the wheel. Next thing I knew my car hit a traffic cone. I swerved out of the lane and thankfully that was it. My car did sustain some minor damage. I could have plowed into more cones on the way to hitting the truck that was laying down the cones and I would not be here to type this.

I fully admit that it was 100% my fault. I know the limitations of EAP, should not have started driving so late, and should have pulled over when sleepy. Having said that, I don't think having hands on wheel is enough for some people (myself as a prime example). The Cadillac internal camera with eye detection sounds like something that would've helped keep me awake and us safe(r). My second MX is coming with AP2.5 and an inactivated driver-facing camera. Hopefully Tesla would implement something similar by activating said camera.

Really good safety share. Thanks for having the courage to post it here so others may learn.