Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU theories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone feel like their MCU drastically needs an update? It is somewhat disappointing to me that the MCU is still using a 2012 Tegra 3 processor after AP 2.0 was released.

The next question is, when a new MCU ultimately does get released, what do people think are the odds that cars will be upgradable? The worst thing to happen would be that Tesla updates older MCUs with new software, and the older MCUs cannot handle it, similar to older iPhones running the latest IOS.

I'm on the fence of buying until a new MCU comes out. I'd feel much more comfortable if the MCU is upgradable, but I'm doubtful that will be possible through Tesla (as an aside, people are able to update their BMW i-drive through aftermarket methods).

AP 2 doesn't depend on the MCU. It has its own much more powerful processor.
If you want to wait for a new MCU before buying, you'll never buy the car. If the MCU is changed, next it will be waiting for a new battery that you think will be coming out soon, or the new something else. Tesla is always improving the car. If the car meets your needs and you think it's worth the money, then buy it. Thinking it needs a new MCU before you buy it is just procrastinating.

• Disagree
Reactions: ABC2D
The next question is, when a new MCU ultimately does get released, what do people think are the odds that cars will be upgradable? The worst thing to happen would be that Tesla updates older MCUs with new software, and the older MCUs cannot handle it, similar to older iPhones running the latest IOS..

There is zero chance that the older cars will be upgradeable. Tesla doesn't want to sell upgrades they want to sell new cars. Developing an upgrade package for a new MCU whenever it does come would require a ton of extra engineering to ensure that the new MCu is backwards compatible with all of the other old modules in the car.

There is also little need for an MCU upgrade, the current one has plenty of processing power for everything it needs to do. The current slowness could easily be handled with some optimization rather than just throwing more hardware at it.

Reactions: Matias
I get that it's always improving, but going from AP 1.0 to 2.0 is a dramatic upgrade many would have waited for had they known. Battery upgrades are incremental so no giant leaps are to be expected. The MCU on the other hand is primed for a major update, and should result in a 10x speed increase.

I have to say I'm with Texas and Jaguar here. Tesla will likely upgrade the MCU when they see a pressing need for it, and anticipating when that will be would require internal data about their roadmap that we just don't have. There are a few places where the interface is laggy (map rendering and web browsing are the only two I can think of) but they've already committed to performance improvements with 8.1.

I get that it's always improving, but going from AP 1.0 to 2.0 is a dramatic upgrade many would have waited for had they known. Battery upgrades are incremental so no giant leaps are to be expected. The MCU on the other hand is primed for a major update, and should result in a 10x speed increase.
Why do you think the MCU speed needs to increase 10X? All the car controls are very responsive. I don't notice any lag. The slow web browser is thought to be a function of the browser, not the hardware.

• Disagree
Reactions: ModelX
I don't think it necessarily needs to increase 10x, but it can and will at some point. It's seemed responsive to me everytime I've played with it. My worry is that it's responsive now because the software is optimized for the hardware. At some point, when new software comes out that's optimized for a faster processor, then everyone else with a slower processor is screwed - akin to those trying to run IOS 10 on an iphone 4s, which came out the same time as the current Tegra 3 processor.

I don't think it necessarily needs to increase 10x, but it can and will at some point. It's seemed responsive to me everytime I've played with it. My worry is that it's responsive now because the software is optimized for the hardware. At some point, when new software comes out that's optimized for a faster processor, then everyone else with a slower processor is screwed - akin to those trying to run IOS 10 on an iphone 4s, which came out the same time as the current Tegra 3 processor.

My short take:

1. No MCU upgrade will ever be offered, that is a sure thing.
2. Shouldn't worry because intensive new software doesn't need to be pushed out to our older AP1 cars. The car has software/features for just about everything it can do - shouldn't expect more. For AP2 cars, it is really just an interface graphical change so the ability to input and display self driving related info won't be too intensive for the old system even.
3. Version 8.1, due out this month, is supposed to upgrade the Linux kernel behind everything and provide a performance boost. Let's revisit this in Feb and see if still a concern.
4. People usually complain about the browser being slow. I'd expect if anything it is removed one day completely - as is not really needed (I may get grief for saying that) and isn't too useful/fast, even if it is improved in next release compared to an up to date Chrome/Safari one on your phone/iPad.

It'll be interesting to see what future MCUs/displays are used. The Model III obviously may be updated as its a new form factor so far that we've seen in reveal. The future Model S/X cars could also end up having a new form when/if they ever come out in years ahead with a new interior redesign. That is when I expect an upgrade for S/X, say likely 2020+