Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

McLaren supercar owners are the most likely to buy a Tesla...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks looks like I can drop it from the list. Just what do they have in the Mclaren store, pictures? Hoping the Tesla factory tour is good. Haven't researched to see what folks thought.

There are usually 5 or 6 MP4-12C's at the McLaren dealership, along with a rolling chassis and a vintage McLaren Formula One car. And I haven't heard of anyone that was disappointed with their Tesla factory tour.

When Tesla sells a Model S sedan, the buyer is most likely to be a Toyota Prius owner, according to IHS Automotive.

No, that's not correct.

About 15.5% of Tesla Model S buyers owned a Toyota-brand vehicle at the time of the purchase, Libby said.

Since not all Toyota's are Priuses that means less than 15.5% of Model S buyers are Prius owners, which means more than 84.5% are not.

Also I have trouble with the McLaren phrasing...

He discovered that McLaren supercar owners are the most likely to buy a Tesla when they go car shopping. They don’t account for many Tesla sales because McLaren owners number just in the hundreds to low thousands in the U.S., compared with the millions of Toyota owners.

According to wikipedia, there were 51 Tucker vehicles made. If one of the remaining owners buys a Tesla does that make Tucker owners the most likely to buy a Tesla when they go car shopping?

And does that answer mean much?

Suppose you did the following:
1. Contact every about-to-be owner of every Tesla Model S a month prior to delivery
2. Ask them what makes of vehicle they currently own, and how many of each
3. Tally up the totals across all owners
4. Report on the make with the highest tally
I'm pretty sure McLaren wouldn't even be in the top 10.

I'm not even sure that stat is interesting, because that's not conquest either.

When I reserved my Model S, I had a Ford and a Chevy. In a sense, neither were conquested by the Model S (I didn't sell either). In another sense, both were (I almost never drive anything but the Model S).