Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Matrix LED Headlights Retrofit Journey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys from EVO sent me a pic on how it looks on legacy S, panel gap is not great...
2024-01-26 13.03.54.jpg

posted that in another thread (I'm not a seller)

I came across BimmerPlug, who apparently sell customized lens type LED headlights, compatible with the older and newer version (Pre-facelift, facelift and "post" facelift)

1706299934404.png

LED-Lens-Headlights-Tesla-Model-S-3_800x800.jpg

You can see the high and low beam projectors separated. Now they're not Matrix but the advantage is the sexy cutoff line from the projectors

posted that in another thread (I'm not a seller)

I came across BimmerPlug, who apparently sell customized lens type LED headlights, compatible with the older and newer version (Pre-facelift, facelift and "post" facelift)

View attachment 1012537

LED-Lens-Headlights-Tesla-Model-S-3_800x800.jpg

You can see the high and low beam projectors separated. Now they're not Matrix but the advantage is the sexy cutoff line from the projectors
are you sure those are not just plaid HL ?

Tsportline sells those

AlphaRex NOVA-Series 5x LED Projector Headlights​

I'm not sure they look as good, but from what i see, cutoff line and light is much better.

are you sure those are not just plaid HL ?

Tsportline sells those

AlphaRex NOVA-Series 5x LED Projector Headlights​

I'm not sure they look as good, but from what i see, cutoff line and light is much better.
I thought they were, but apparently it's custom-built

@Xenoilphobe, Regarding the NOVA's, I believe the cutoff will have to be similar to what can be observed for the Model 3 version:

Timestamp: 8:51

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I thought they were, but apparently it's custom-built

@Xenoilphobe, Regarding the NOVA's, I believe the cutoff will have to be similar to what can be observed for the Model 3 version:

Timestamp: 8:51
I wish they had left the original light in on one side to show the difference. I couldn't tell if the beginning of the video was the new light beam or the original, in the last part of the video they showed the new beam cutoff, but never superimposed the original beam pattern to show the improvement... I would get these for my S, but concerned about lumen reduction from stock...

I wish they had left the original light in on one side to show the difference. I couldn't tell if the beginning of the video was the new light beam or the original, in the last part of the video they showed the new beam cutoff, but never superimposed the original beam pattern to show the improvement... I would get these for my S, but concerned about lumen reduction from stock...
You have a point.

Not directly side-by-side, but a more accurate comparison. The old headlights on this particular Model 3 are similar to ours in term of light spread

Starts at 11:11 where the old non-projectors are compared with the Alpharex ones

You have a point.

Not directly side-by-side, but a more accurate comparison. The old headlights on this particular Model 3 are similar to ours in term of light spread

Starts at 11:11 where the old non-projectors are compared with the Alpharex ones
Compared at 7:50.. still hard to see the Lux (illuminating a surface- the wall in this case) or Lumens (omni directional illumination measurement) (I wasn't sure) difference (it's the camera having issues processing the light and they shot severely off angle, which made the OEM lights seem brighter than they are) They never locked the LUX, but it looked like 469-490 (it was bouncing all over the place) LUX @ and unknown distance from the emitter of the headlamp.

1706337695026.png

Then later they claim at 11:42 that the new headlights are 650 lumens (she meant to say LUX I am sure, but not sure how far the emitter was the wall again. IIHS testing, 5 LUX is the minimum useful measurement at distance. So 650 LUX at ten feet, wonder what it is at 150 Meters, which is where the stock lights stop being useful in high beam mode. Low beams only made it out to 52 meters before LUX dropped below 5 for the 2016 Model S, which has to have the worst headlights of any Tesla ever made.

By comparison a legacy 55 watt halogen bulb used in most cars are 700 lumens on low and 1200 lumens on high beam. I hope they were measuring LUX and not Lumens...
30 watt HID lights are 2600 to 3000 Lumens
10-15 watt LED's push 1100 lumens (notice the aftermarket headlights have 4 LED emitters, so there is hope that these light can push some lumens.)

It takes 4X LUX for the human eye to recognize 50% brighter lighting, Human eyes perceive light on a dB scale, so 30% more LUX/LUMENS is a minimal perceived improvement. Lumen levels and Human Perception

General rule, most people find a 40% increase in output (all else being equal) to be "barely noticeable", a doubling to be relatively "easily noticeable" ... and a 10-fold increase usually seems to be a bit more than "twice-as-bright". (kinda like sound and amplifiers)
It frustrating, I don't give a damn what the headlights look like, I want to know how they perform. 650 LUX or LUMEN (wasn't clear) is ok.. I have lights on my truck that crush these numbers, but they are not DOT approved.

Last edited:
Reactions: misc3r
Are you serious, lumens on stock pretty dim, I'm not sure if you can get anything dimmer than that :D

Are you serious, lumens on stock pretty dim, I'm not sure if you can get anything dimmer than that :D
They are freaking horrible... the light below from a Model T probably works better. I have been communicating directly with manufacturer to get a better understanding of the specs. Only solid I got so far is that they are 5500 Kelvin (color - which is daylight - perfect!!), They are using 5 (in the case of the Model S) LED emitters made by Osram called Oslen Black Flat but it's not clear which boards they used for this application. I already pulled all the spec sheets and read them.. these are super efficient LED's. In the most powerful config they are 2380 lm pulling 16 watts!!! in the worst config, they are 395 lm pulling 3.2 watts from each emitter. So with 5 emitters they could be 1975 lm (if all five are on) or they could be as high as 11,900 lm (if all 5 emitters are activated) if they chose the highest output (very unlikely). Also these can be software controlled to operate in any format they want.... I suspect they went with the 395 lm which would be the cheapest, if all 5 emitters running they only use 16 watts...well below the design threshold for the legacy 2016 Model S headlight load (I'm guessing here). or they could have used a mix for the high and low beam function.

all I care about is LUX and how far..... this still doesn't tell me anything valuable about the quality of the light or the illumination capability. I have all the specs are the legacy Tesla headlights and they SUCKKKKKKK... 27 meters away and they can't even do 5 LUX, the crappy flashlights you buy at Costco can do better than that. I am actually shocked that the car hasn't been recalled for this safety issue.
1706467029549.png

1706467082402.png

1706464837646.png

1706463872859.png

Attachments

• 1706464605730.png
    1706464605730.png
    397 KB · Views: 20
  • 1706464799931.png
    1706464799931.png
    420.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 1706466624100.png
    1706466624100.png
    303.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 1706466885091.png
    1706466885091.png
    329.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Got more information digging around on AlphaRex... I think I'm going to pull the trigger..

Cons:
2 year warranty, if they burn out, you throw away the whole unit - $1800, (I could probably open them up and solder a new LED in)
Conflicts with Tesla Software updates.... unknown, on the Model 3 AlphaRex they were selling an adapter to resolve this issue (only for non matrix headlight cars, why you would pull Matrix and add these ?

Video at bottom of blog was impressive.

NOVA-Series installed in a Toyota Sienna

Last edited:
Last edited:
Got more information digging around on AlphaRex... I think I'm going to pull the trigger..

Cons:
2 year warranty, if they burn out, you throw away the whole unit - $1800, (I could probably open them up and solder a new LED in)
Conflicts with Tesla Software updates.... unknown, on the Model 3 AlphaRex they were selling an adapter to resolve this issue (only for non matrix headlight cars, why you would pull Matrix and add these ?

Video at bottom of blog was impressive.

NOVA-Series installed in a Toyota Sienna

Great news, keep us posted, unfortunately I'm in the UK, no I'm not sure if they can do RHD pattern.

Great news, keep us posted, unfortunately I'm in the UK, no I'm not sure if they can do RHD pattern.
I'm pretty sure a talented tech could "pop the ice cube tray" and move these modules around to the RHD where you need the beam cutoff.

1706578462561.png

1706578462561.png