Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Tesla Insurance Services in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the rep I spoke with, yes. I think this is part of the decision process they go through, whether or not you get a loaner Tesla or not.

That is a good benefit. I just looked at my Amica policy and I was limited to $20/day and $600 max for rental car coverage. That’s not nearly enough to cover the potential downtime on a Tesla. I just increased the policy to no daily limit, $5,000 max per accident. It increased my premium by $89.00 per year, which seemed reasonable to me.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
I got the quote on day 1 and 2 and played around with diff options.. starting day 3 , I have been getting this error message...no one seems to help..

Attachments

• tesla-insurance.png
    tesla-insurance.png
    166.2 KB · Views: 204
Reactions: Kleenerth3
I've noticed something that is of great concern with Tesla's insurance. The Uninsured Motorist Property Damage is fixed at $3,500. This covers expenses for damage to your car caused by an at-fault driver who doesn't have insurance or by a hit-and-run or miss-and-run. How is our Tesla supposed to be repaired with only $3,500?

I've always had a very poor understanding of UMPD, and in what cases it's important. My understanding is that collision coverage covers the damage to your vehicle in the event of being hit by an uninsured motorist or in a hit-and-run, but they make it sound like if you don't get UMPD you're completely screwed if you have a run-in with an uninsured motorist. So they cover the same thing, but there must be a reason for its existence. Progressive also has a very puny UMPD. Maybe it's a compliance product? I know it's required in some states.

Reactions: Eno Deb
If you read the "i" next to the Uninsured Motorist Property Damage section, it specifically says...

"Covers expenses for damage to your car caused by an at-fault driver who doesn't have insurance (uninsured) or by a hit-and-run or miss-and-run."

This tells me that their insurance only covers $3,500 worth of repairs. None of the other headings covers repairs to your vehicle.

Either way, Tesla insurance would only save me around $18 a year, when comparing it with the same amounts of my current insurance.

As a Tesla insurance customer I can tell you that all numbers can be adjusted. You just need to call them and ask them to make the changes you want. I called after I started my policy and added Loan payoff to my policy for $3.00 more a month.

I want to also point out that my progressive policy (which cost 2 times as much) had zero coverage for property damage.

I did make some changes to my coverage but if I had kept UM bodily injury at the same as Progressive, my rate would still be less than half of Progressive. I live around 20 mins north of the Fremont Factory. Hope that helps.

upload_2019-9-4_21-33-32.png

I have USAA.....had it for over 45 yrs.....im gonna wait and see where the Tesla insurance goes and then call them for a comparison quote with same coverage....USAA has been able to beat every insurance company out there, but I will give Tesla a chance

Reactions: ibGeek
As a Tesla insurance customer I can tell you that all numbers can be adjusted. You just need to call them and ask them to make the changes you want. I called after I started my policy and added Loan payoff to my policy for $3.00 more a month.

I want to also point out that my progressive policy (which cost 2 times as much) had zero coverage for property damage.

I did make some changes to my coverage but if I had kept UM bodily injury at the same as Progressive, my rate would still be less than half of Progressive. I live around 20 mins north of the Fremont Factory. Hope that helps.

View attachment 450646
I know the numbers can be adjusted, but not Uninsured Motorist Property Damage, it had only one amount of $3,500. Not sure how Progressive allowed you to have zero coverage for property damage, when in California the legal minimum is $5k.

I have roughly the same coverage as you with Farmers and I only pay $447 every 6 months.

Last edited:
I know the numbers can be adjusted, but not Uninsured Motorist Property Damage, it had only one amount of $3,500. Not sure how Progressive allowed you to have zero coverage for property damage, when in California the legal minimum is $5k.

No I mean they can be adjusted over the phone. They do not have loan pay off on their website at all. But when I called they added it no problem. The website is over simplified. I think/hope it will be improved soon, but any number can be adjusted, even if it's not on the website form.

I've noticed something that is of great concern with Tesla's insurance. The Uninsured Motorist Property Damage is fixed at $3,500. This covers expenses for damage to your car caused by an at-fault driver who doesn't have insurance or by a hit-and-run or miss-and-run. How is our Tesla supposed to be repaired with only $3,500?

According to the California Department of Insurance, $3500 is the most allowed by law:
Uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD): This pays for the damage to your car from an accident with an uninsured driver who is at fault. The limit is $3,500. This only pays if the uninsured driver is identified. You may not need it if you have collision coverage.
Automobile Insurance Information Guide