Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am noting that in the OTA recall portion of the release notes for 11.3.6 (2022.45.15), it states:
This is really getting proving to be annoying and potentially dangerous. Consider the following intersection:
... How is it the NHTSA made Tesla not only change FSD to implement this behavior, but as a recall, no less?!?

I don't think you are talking about the right scenario. This "certain scenarios where the tesla may maneuver from a turn lane to continue traveling straight"
the way I understood it and examples was like the picture below where the Tesla car is IN the turning lane (incorrectly) and needs to get out of it to go straight ... and that is where they'd use the blinker.

XMxS89l.jpg

I picked up a used 2019 M3 from Tesla in January 2023 with FSD and AB. I am in Long Island NY, and commute 26 miles to downtown Brooklyn for work. I immediately joined beta (on the way home from delivery). I was on v11.3.4 for about a week, and yesterday went to v11.3.6 (2022.45.15). I pretty much have used AP/FSD on every drive, only disengaging when either the computer doesn't handle specific intersections well, or if traffic around me exceeds my trust in the system (rare).

Being that I am in the NYC area and deal with stop and go traffic for about 3 hours per day, I cover the go pedal, and end up pressing it to reduce the follow distance so as to not be that guy.

I have had 2 issues with AP/FSD in about 2k miles:

1, a couple months ago, I remember it sharply turning towards the curb when on city streets FSD. I was easily able to recover this, I am not sure if FSD would have self-recovered, I didn't want to wait to find out.

2. This morning on v11.3.6 the car stopped for a red light, as it should (I was the 1st car in my lane, so closest to the light). This was a 3 lane Parkway (Eastern Parkway in Brooklyn) with the center lane a left turning lane, and 2 lanes for going straight. I was in the inner lane for going straight with a car stopped to my left and a cars stopped to my right a the red traffic light. About 5-6 seconds after fully stopped, while the light was still red (before the cross street turned green), the car started to accelerate like I had a green light. I slammed on the brake pedal with enough room to only be a 1/4 of the way into the crosswalk.

This was early morning at 5:53 am (still dark out), there were no pedestrians.

In 2k miles crossing this intersection 5 days a week in similar circumstances (dark out, since it has been winter since I got the car) this has never happened, I have had 100% confidence in the car not wanting to go through a red light. I have had it make a questionable call on running a yellow, but never from a full stop (so it understood the light was red), in this situation it successfully performed the stop and hold, then it started from a stop while the light was still red. There weren't any green lights in the view of camera, and the screen still rendered red in the lights on the screen (even the protected left arrow was still red, they get a green light at the end of the straight green, ending the same time as the straight green light.

I still have confidence in the system, but this is something I need be prepared for.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Bet TSLA and JHCCAZ
I don't think you are talking about the right scenario. This "certain scenarios where the tesla may maneuver from a turn lane to continue traveling straight"
the way I understood it and examples was like the picture below where the Tesla car is IN the turning lane (incorrectly) and needs to get out of it to go straight ... and that is where they'd use the blinker.
What I described is the actual behavior I have witnessed, not my interpretation of what I read. My post was to show how the release note is implemented in actual driving.

I did my first two routine surface street drives with 11.3.6 and no positives to report (or as the Talking Heads would say -same as it ever was). Last second entry into turn lanes with stiff braking and ego not centered within the turn lane. Late/excess braking continues when approaching traffic lights. Over reaction with associated stiff braking for vehicles entering opposite direction traffic flow. Needless stiff braking to distant cross flow traffic. Slow to react and accelerate after green lights initiate. Erroneous periodic turn signals. Excess time spent at clear 4 way stops. Hard brake into roundabout with subsequent indecisive steering.

I am noting that in the OTA recall portion of the release notes for 11.3.6 (2022.45.15), it states:

This is really getting proving to be annoying and potentially dangerous. Consider the following intersection:

View attachment 927036
In this instance, I am approaching on Gillespie Rd from the right. As I approach the dashed line separating the left-turn lane from the widened lane continuing straight, FSD engages the right-turn signal, which follows the release note, above. I believe this can be dangerous, as any car stopped at Fernbridge Blvd. (seeing my right signal) can reasonably assume that I intend to turn right onto Fernbridge, justifying his own move into the intesection to turn or go straight right in front of me.

How is it the NHTSA made Tesla not only change FSD to implement this behavior, but as a recall, no less?!?
They need to fix turn signals ASAP.

As a result of comments here I have tried canceling routes prior to map errors to prevent incorrect lane changes since they can no longer be disabled. This works great.

This weekend I took a trip up the 405 to the 5 to the 14 and it was a train wreck. FSDb tried to get in the carpool lane about 15 times, even over solid lines, and I could not disable lane changes to prevent it. Lots of signaling, bonging, and wrestling control back from the car. I must have looked insane. As per another poster’s advice I switched FSDb back to the legacy software while en route and that solved the problem. Once I got off the freeway I put the car in Park and turned FSDb back on and proceeded.

Attached is a photo of what my car does every morning where I’m on the 110 and it decides it should get off the freeway and get right back on. I’ve worked around this for years by having NoA require lane change confirmations. I just ignored the request until we were past the error and then the car routed properly. I canceled the route this morning until I drove past and then re-entered the destination. Aside from it still stopping in the middle of the freeway for an imaginary intersection it worked until it got to the next screwup.

One of my voice memos on the 405 last weekend had some expletives to the effect of “let me turn off these g-d lane changes!”

IMG_4164.jpeg

I did my first two routine surface street drives with 11.3.6 and no positives to report (or as the Talking Heads would say -same as it ever was). Last second entry into turn lanes with stiff braking and ego not centered within the turn lane. Late/excess braking continues when approaching traffic lights. Over reaction with associated stiff braking for vehicles entering opposite direction traffic flow. Needless stiff braking to distant cross flow traffic. Slow to react and accelerate after green lights initiate. Erroneous periodic turn signals. Excess time spent at clear 4 way stops. Hard brake into roundabout with subsequent indecisive steering.
My Plaid recieved 11.3.6 early yesterday. Didn’t bother to turn FSD back on as I know it’s still junk.

• Disagree
Reactions: STUtoday
My Plaid recieved 11.3.6 early yesterday. Didn’t bother to turn FSD back on as I know it’s still junk.

Dove v 11.3.6 today with similar problems as stated by others here. On the positive side it did not swing right to make a left turn on the negative side the turn signal is starting to get to me. Positive is that it is still doing all of the bad things but now it does them more smoothly.;)
Bizzare 11.3.6 behavior on our '17 TMX today (installed yesterday) while slowing down to a near stop and being close to intersections. The steering wheel tries to turn 1/8th of a turn for NO apparent reason. It happened like 4 times. It mostly happened close to intersections but on a 40 mph 4 lane with me being in the right-most lane it tried to turn into the rear bumper of a car in the lane to my left. My front bumper was lined up with its rear bumper.

Wow, this behavior is strange and uncomfortable for the driver and passenger! Keep your hands a little bit tighter on the wheel with 11.3.6 folks!

P.S. Full disclosure that I had 2 bikes on a hitch bike rack during all of the above. No complaints from any system at any time. I've used this same bike rack and bikes for a couple of years now.

Last edited:
TIP: Change FSD Minimal Lane Changes option without going into menu
TnZhibI.jpg

Reactions: Genie
Will it do cloverleafs for anyone? For me it won’t get over to the right to the very short new lane that appears so I have to use the turn signal to get it to move over & I have to lower the speed manually in advance or it will try to take it at highway speed & slam on the brakes. Then upon finishing the cloverleaf it won’t merge left to enter the new highway but will just stay in the right lane that exits to the next cloverleaf.

What I described is the actual behavior I have witnessed, not my interpretation of what I read. My post was to show how the release note is implemented in actual driving.
I think that is understood. I also don't think that the recall change is necessarily related, even if the behavior did change with v11. I had behaviors like the one you describe even in v10, and I also have situations similar to yours where it didn't in v10 and still doesn't signal in v11. It also seems to signal for absolutely nothing (in locations where there are no intersections, no lanes, and nothing that could reasonably be perceived as lanes) a bit less. That having been said, even if the recall is related to the behavior you describe, it isn't necessarily intentional (for instance, the recall may have triggered it by way of additional reliance on bad map data). Regardless, they have effectively made it signal more, sometimes for the better and other times not (and still seldom as soon as it should), but it signaled in places where it shouldn't before, and it still doesn't signal everywhere it should.

Used FSDb 11.3.6 on a round trip from Seattle to Vancouver BC this week and was very impressed with how it worked on the freeway. Overall drove very well and did not change lanes every two min like NOA did in the past. It also handled speed limit changes well (limit from from 60 to 70 and back down in a few places). I had it set to about 9 over and it adjusted with the same delta. No complaints.

Did rollout stop again? Doesn’t seem like 11.3.6 is worse than the others.
If you can believe TeslaFi data, the vast majority of the cars using FSD are either already on 11.3.6, or have been at least offered it. TeslaFi shows 4811 cars on 11.3.6 and another 427 pending installs of 11.3.6. The total installations of all other FSD versions is only 552. Note, this data is only TeslaFi subscribers, so it is not the full fleet. But the proportions should be representative.

If you can believe TeslaFi data, the vast majority of the cars using FSD are either already on 11.3.6, or have been at least offered it. TeslaFi shows 4811 cars on 11.3.6 and another 427 pending installs of 11.3.6. The total installations of all other FSD versions is only 552. Note, this data is only TeslaFi subscribers, so it is not the full fleet. But the proportions should be representative.
Odd, my cars still on 10.69. I wonder when they will let more in.