Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That being said, note that if you go to the thread on the EPA results for the Performance, you’ll see it improved less than the LR AWD vs. 2020. So we would not expect the same % change in the constant.

The results in the EPA test for Performance were all messed up though; AC-DC efficiency was all off. So I expect they might redo it and get better efficiency - certainly should get much better MPGe since those got annihilated by the conversion losses. Would not change the range though. Just the AC efficiency. I should check out the Model Y Performance tests to see if they were better (normal). I would assume so.
I agree.
Just to understand. is it tesla that performs the EPA tests or an independent group?
How can it be possible that EPA test for Performance were all messed up though ?

An other TM3 Performance 2021 recently arrived in France, E3D, VIN in 840, range on display after update 497km, No SMT.
20201225_194849.jpg
Same number than @Marius A

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
is it tesla that performs the EPA tests or an independent group?

Usually Tesla does the testing in Fremont. Occasionally the EPA audits.

How can it be possible that EPA test for Performance were all messed up though ?

Don’t know. This appears to be just an issue with energy being wasted on the recharge event (some extra energy used somehow).

Reactions: FredMt
I agree.
Just to understand. is it tesla that performs the EPA tests or an independent group?
All manufacturers do the testing themselves which the epa then approves. Sometimes they audit, but with the amount of defunding they’ve had over the last 4 years I imagine they’re forced to become much cozier with manufacturers.

1104423-0L-P
That is interesting, the one they added into the AWDs in Europe is same number but BB instead of CB and 00 vs 0L
Everything else the same.
The one in Europe is supposedly 77.8kWh and this one 82kWh. But there are indications that the 77.8 is not the same as the old one. We now need the sticker from a US one with LR AWD.

So much for Tesla adding completely new part numbers for new batteries...

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
That is interesting, the one they added into the AWDs in Europe is same number but BB instead of CB and 00 vs 0L
Everything else the same.
The one in Europe is supposedly 77.8kWh and this one 82kWh. But there are indications that the 77.8 is not the same as the old one. We now need the sticker from a US one with LR AWD.

You confirm that BB and 00 one come from LR and not M3P ?

Reactions: TimothyHW3
I think the main thing of interest would be adding another datapoint above - just 100% range and corresponding SMT “exact” nominal full pack.

Honestly, though, I would not worry about it; enjoy the car and enjoy that road trip without anything else to have to “keep track of.” There are quite a few SMT data points at this point, and the possibility of maybe future unlock, constant adjustment, etc., will make it difficult to draw anything conclusive from the performance data at this time.

Mostly, enjoy the car. You have the big battery, and it seems to be doing fine; you’ve established your starting capacity with your numbers at 100% (which I don’t remember right now), so nothing really to worry about. It will go down. This is normal.
I don't have the starting capacity, my car charges so slow that didn't bother. 18 minutes to get from 206km to 332km, 25 min preconditioning while driving 100-110km/h. On a 150kW SC

I think revving the part number extension and not the revision number does not qualify as “not changing” the part number, as you were claiming. But we can cover that in that thread, not here. It’s a middle ground; maybe we can claim everyone was right or something weak like that!

Seems like this is a part that is compatible by part number but is not intended to be the same, and it is thus not an incremental change (letter change). Hence the unusual change in part number suffix.

So, there are two different parts. With a distinct coding to indicate the difference. And the old part number, with unchanged suffix, but new letter, representing the equivalent of the old part, still seems to exist. (Though I don’t have all the pictures of recent part numbers - mine is a very different part number, but it is really old and was probably one of the ones before they split from the RWD pack.). Let’s follow up on this in the other thread if you wish (I don’t care for the discussion, just want to know about what cars have what part numbers and how those numbers are unique).

I don't have the starting capacity, my car charges so slow that didn't bother. 18 minutes to get from 206km to 332km, 25 min preconditioning while driving 100-110km/h. On a 150kW SC

Yeah, will be tough to get a good read at this time of year, where you are at. If you want to know the approximate “answer” to where you started without SMT, I would make a concerted effort to do a spirited drive, down to a decently low SoC, pre-condition for Supercharging while driving, supercharge to 90%, and extrapolate.

Or find a warm garage, charge to 90% on a decent rate connector, and use pre-conditioning in the app.

You can’t wait until things warm up since you will lose some capacity by then.

As long as you make a decent effort to get temperature out of the picture, and make an effort to get some heat in the battery, your answer will probably be within 1kWh of the actual value.

Last edited:
Charged my performance to 100% this morning, showed 482 km and nominal full pack is down to 78,3kWh. Voltage was 400v

As I recall you were on the lower side to start with, but if your battery is cold it will be difficult to get a good “accurate” read on this, probably. They attempt to control for temp changes, but temperature does change pack capacity, and there is probably small error.

Did you dismantle the frunk or something? Or did you find a way to take the pic from behind the right wheel?

Looks like he just took the picture as recommended from behind the right wheel. Dismantling the frunk is not helpful. The only way for it to be easier is to unbolt the front lower aero shield (which is pretty easy, but something like ramps are needed).

I had 206km range left when I started charging, 332 when I stopped

It started at 90kW, dropped to 70kW immediately after. Didn't pay attention in the app while it was charging, but 126km in 18 minutes isn't particularly impressive.

It’s hard to debug any particular Supercharger problem. I would take this specific part of the discussion to the appropriate thread for it. I would just say that it is not uncommon at all for a particular Supercharger to be really slow, If I suspect I am not getting the rate I expect, and there is space, I just move to a different Supercharger as quickly as I can.

That being said, there is every reason to believe they could be hobbling the charge rate on the new packs for now. I have no idea what has been demonstrated as the max yet, for this pack.