Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manually lifting the tailgate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
I've seen several posts here where people say they'd like the tailgate height to be location sensitive and I think this would be a great idea. At home I park under a carport, so I have the limit set to ... well let's just say you can look at the scars and lumps on my forehead and figure out what it's set to

But I also read that you can manually override the configured opening height and I do this at work because the ceiling of the parking garage is tall enough to take the full opening.

My question is that it makes a complaining noise when you do this and I wondered what it's really doing to the gearing and motor in the strut. Will doing this frequently put excessive wear on those parts?

I've seen several posts here where people say they'd like the tailgate height to be location sensitive and I think this would be a great idea. At home I park under a carport, so I have the limit set to ... well let's just say you can look at the scars and lumps on my forehead and figure out what it's set to

But I also read that you can manually override the configured opening height and I do this at work because the ceiling of the parking garage is tall enough to take the full opening.

My question is that it makes a complaining noise when you do this and I wondered what it's really doing to the gearing and motor in the strut. Will doing this frequently put excessive wear on those parts?
I’m 6’ 2” and do the same, no complaining noises from my MY.