Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Man's Tesla crashes into pole using 'smart summon' valet feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tenor.gif

its this bit that, to me, marks this feature as DONOTSHIP.

View attachment 692692

leave in lab. let ceo give demos. but do not ship to customers.

oh well. I know I'm in the minority, here.
No industry watchdogs appear to care about this very much either. The writing is on the wall though, just like the 737 MAX, these problems are just circulating out there. If there were a couple of high profile incidents then everyone would finally do their jobs and be reactive. Shame they can't be proactive.

It's interesting that Tesla actually does realize the risk because they are putting it in all their disclaimers. (Hey watch out! Our systems are unreliable)
I'd love to see the internal communications. Just like the Boeing situations, lots of good engineers complaining about the risk and getting overruled by the company. At least they got to write the disclaimers.

What’s curious is that according to the owner it was supposed to turn right (based on the mapped route in the app) but it turned left into the pole instead for no apparent reason.

So even if the owner was aware of the limitation of the car’s cameras/sensors not seeing/sensing tall skinny objects (which, as @rijc99 correctly points out, isn’t actually mentioned in the manual — it only warns about “very low” and “very high” objects), it’d be hard to argue that he should’ve been able to anticipate the car deviating from its route.
And without knowing how far away he was from the car or what his viewing angle was, it’s hard to know if he should’ve been able to see the car turning left and react quickly enough to let go of the button in time to prevent the collision.

So I’d say it sounds like he has a legitimate complaint — even if he may not have a legally legitimate complaint.

To be fair unless I missed it, I don’t think the manual says anything about posts, poles or sapling trees.
View attachment 692678
View attachment 692679

View attachment 692680
To be fair, there are at least three warnings the OP ignored. But yes, the quoted language only talks about curbs and shelves AND OTHER OBJECTS that cannot be sensed. It also specifically mentions ultrasonic sensors are used. Ain't none on the side near doors.

But you got me on specific items not mentioning posts and sapling trees. I would like to see the original manual when this feature was introduced to see if that's where I saw it.

I would like to see the original manual when this feature was introduced to see if that's where I saw it.

I randomly saved a copy of a Model 3 owner's manual from 2019, and it says the following about (basic) Summon:

"Model 3 cannot detect obstacles that are located lower than the bumper, very narrow (i.e. bicycles), or hanging from a ceiling."

(Relatedly, does anyone know if older Tesla owner's manuals are archived online anywhere?)

Reactions: rxlawdude
Im surprised that no one else in this thread is commenting on the fact that the OP of THIS thread is also the person who used smart summon to drive their car into something, then posted about it here. In OPs case, it was a tree. The motivation for posting this is likely "look, someone else beside me did this thing"

Those instructions are absurd. Read literally and demonstrated by real world testing they could edit that down to:

If your vehicle is within 5 feet* of something you don’t want to hit release the button.

*may be farther depending on reception or OS revision on phone. Really.

Reactions: jsmay311
Those instructions are absurd. Read literally and demonstrated by real world testing they could edit that down to:

If your vehicle is within 5 feet* of something you don’t want to hit release the button.

*may be farther depending on reception or OS revision on phone. Really.

The reason I'm okay with summon over smart summonssssss is the former you can realistically stop even without the phone. I've done it when I simply wasn't comfortable with it suddenly turning.

The later is simply ridiculous because you can't possibly stop it before it hits something if there is a lot of latency with the signal, and not only that a person isn't always going to have a vantage point where they can even see what it's about to hit.

Smart Summon should not have been release.
Summon is okay, but not great.

OP could have just updated his original post instead of starting another...

Reactions: rxlawdude