Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Make your robotaxi predictions for the 8/8 reveal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Elon says that Tesla will reveal a dedicated robotaxi vehicle on 8/8. What do you think we will see? Will it look like this concept art or something else?

GKcNKVvaEAAUmMG

I will say that while this concept drawing looks super cool, I am a bit skeptical if it is practical as a robotaxi. It looks to only have 2 seats which would be fine for 1-2 people who need a ride but would not work for more than 2 people. I feel like that would limit the robotaxis value for a lot of people. Also, it would likely need a steering wheel and pedals for regulatory reasons even if Tesla did achieve eyes-off capability.

So I think this is concept art for a hypothetical 2 seater, cheap Tesla, not a robotaxi.

Could the robotaxi look more like this concept art but smaller? It could look a bit more like say the Zoox vehicle or the Cruise Origin, more futuristic box like shape IMO and seat 5-6 people.

robotaxi-tesla-autonome.jpg

Or maybe the robotaxi will look more like the "model 2" concept:

Tesla-Model-2-1200x900.jpg

Other questions:
- Will the robotaxis be available to own by individuals as a personal car or will it strictly be owned by Tesla and only used in a ride-hailing network?
- What will cost be?
- Will it have upgraded hardware? Radar? Lidar? additional compute?
- Will Elon reveal any details on how the ride-hailing network will work?

Thoughts? Let the fun speculation begin!

Waymo's approach has not proven to solve this.

Not yet but I am hopeful:
1) Waymo Driver is generalizing well. And Waymo has tested recently in Washington DC, Miami, Orlando, and now Atlanta. Waymo says they plan to start driverless testing in Atlanta.
2) The 6th Gen hardware on the Zeekr will be much cheaper. Both the hardware and the Zeekr vehicle will be much more affordable.
3) 50k people signed up on the waitlist for LA on just the first day. So I don't think Waymo has any problem with demand.

Put it all together and it looks good for Waymo. They continue to generalize the Waymo Driver to do driverless in any city. They deploy a mass market affordable robotaxi vehicle and they get lots of customers. They can scale with that.

You are correct that no tech has. Waymo being "closest" is nothing but wild speculation.

Not speculation. I would say Waymo is closest since they have the most driverless miles and have an affordable robotaxi coming at the end of this year.

And if Waymo is not closest, who is? Tesla? Tesla FSD Supervised is not ready for driverless. Tesla may announce an affordable robotaxi platform on 8/8 but they would need to finish prototyping, validate, and produce it and achieve driverless. Not to mention Tesla would need to apply for permits to launch a robotaxi service in CA which can take months to years. The whole process will take a long time. Waymo already has a robotaxi service running 24/7 in 3 cities! Zoox? Zoox is only testing their vehicle at small scale in a tiny 1 mile area. Cruise? Cruise is shut down and needs to relaunch. The only company with actual driverless in multiple cities, and an affordable robotaxi vehicle nearing mass production is Waymo.

Last edited:
Not yet but I am hopeful:
1) Waymo Driver is generalizing well. And Waymo has tested recently in Washington DC, Miami, Orlando, and now Atlanta. Waymo says they plan to start driverless testing in Atlanta.
2) The 6th Gen hardware on the Zeekr will be much cheaper. Both the hardware and the Zeekr vehicle will be much more affordable.
3) 50k people signed up on the waitlist for LA on just the first day. So I don't think Waymo has any problem with demand.

Put it all together and it looks good for Waymo. They continue to generalize the Waymo Driver to do driverless in any city. They deploy a mass market affordable robotaxi vehicle and they get lots of customers. They can scale with that.

Not speculation. I would say Waymo is closest since they have the most driverless miles and have an affordable robotaxi coming.
It's still speculation. Lots of "planning to"..."will be", etc. Same goes for Tesla.

The two approaches (Tesla and Waymo) are vastly different. Waymo will have a much more methodical (albeit slow) rollout of "Level 4 taxis". I'm still not sure if they are even attempting for their ODD to include "non urban" areas. If they are not targeting that...it obviously won't happen. Telsa, if their approach proves successful, will have a much more disjointed roll-out. They will go from essentially "Level 2 ADAS or level 3 autonomy" to "Level 4 capable" in a wide geographic area essentially overnight.

Who is closest to having Level 4 autonomy with highly restricted ODD while gradually reducing those ODD restrictions (including geography)? Waymo of course.

Who is closest to have Level 4 autonomy with a vastly lower set of ODD restrictions? Speculation...and likely depends on what kinds of restrictions we're talking about.

Last edited:
Not yet but they will when they start scaling the cheaper robotaxi.
I'm reminded of a quote from West Wing about drug pricing:

First guy: “Those pills cost them 4 cents to make.” Second guy: “That’s not true. The second pill costs them four cents, the first pill costs them $1 billion dollars.”

Same for Waymo - we're still working on the 1st pill - the 2nd pill will be much cheaper. :)