Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Main screen keeps locking up / blank

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has been addressed here, I searched around and could not find any posts about this issue. I have a 2023 M3 with Hardware 3 so I don't know anything about this.

Have a friend (at least for now if she doesn't kill me over this) who recently took delivery of here 2024 Model Y LR with Hardware 4. Twice now she has gone to her car and the screen was dead. She reboots it, and it comes back alive. She was on 2023.3x.xx, but last night the 2023.44 finally installed, don't know why it took so long but it's finally there, and this has not resolved the issue. It's 2023.44.30.8 if it matters.

She's pretty upset about the issue, she wants her car to be perfect, so of course she vents on me when it has issues. lol

Is this a common problem? If not I'll tell her to contact service.

I had the same issue of my screen being black when I got into my car. It would not light up unless I rebooted the car but I didn’t know if it was rebooting because the screen was black anyway, I put in a service ticket and was contacted by the service department. They said it’s a known issue and there’s an update coming to correct it. I got an update yesterday and it seems to be fine today. Good luck.

A known issue on hardware 4 or a known issue on all models?

She got the update last night and it still did it again this morning.

I can have her remove the USB drive altogether. I don't want to walk her through formatting it, maybe I can try that for them next time I see them.

A known issue on hardware 4 or a known issue on all models?

She got the update last night and it still did it again this morning.

I can have her remove the USB drive altogether. I don't want to walk her through formatting it, maybe I can try that for them next time I see them.
If you have them remove it, and something happens (accident etc) then you will be wholly responsible for it not being captured on their USB device because they would rightly say... "you told me to remove it!!"

She's pretty upset about the issue, she wants her car to be perfect, so of course she vents on me when it has issues. lol
I get this, but you also should be careful about becoming the one responsible for stuff when it doesnt work, unless there are reasons for you being ok with being the one responsible. There could be various reasons for that, just be aware if you are not, that is what you are setting yourself up for (being responsible for the operation of her car).

Anyway, I am not even sure its related to the USB. This used to be a thing (full USB causing issues with the screen) but it may or may not be related, its just something that can be tried.

As far as instructions on how to do it, unless you partitioned it for them in the first place or something, the directions on how to do that are spelled out in the Tesla model Y manual:

=======================================

How to Use Dashcam​

1. Format a USB flash drive. Dashcam requires a properly formatted USB drive inserted in your vehicle's USB port (Tesla recommends using the glovebox USB port, if equipped) to store and retrieve footage. Vehicles manufactured beginning approximately 2020 are equipped with a pre-formatted USB flash drive in the glove box.There are two ways to format the flash drive:
    • Insert the flash drive into the USB port and navigate to Controls > Safety > Format USB Drive. Model Y automatically formats the flash drive for you.

====================================

Unless she took the USB drive out of the port in the glove compartment, you wouldnt even need to tell them "insert flash drive", just the rest of it.