Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MagBak RimCase quick review - 21” Ubertine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently received the MagBak RimCase rim protectors and, frankly, the install is not as easy as the YT reviewers claim, the tolerances for the plastics are too wide for the width of the spokes while being too tight to easily, yet tightly, cover from the spokes to the rim. I have a MYP on 21” Ubertines and wanted the RimCase solution to cover a couple of wheel rash marks.

After spending an hour watching their install videos, the YT reviewers installations, and working to actually fit the plastic pieces to the wheel, I came away completely frustrated. I got three of the pieces to fit by torturing the plastic pieces to barely fit and they kept popping off (even though the adhesive backings were attached to the wheel). When I looked at the plastic pieces after I removed them the lower lips had warped and buckled. No bueno.

It would be a good solution but the installation, for me, was a non-starter, especially after being led to believe it was a simple snap-together install. YMMV, of course.

So, I’ve asked for a refund. We’ll see what happens.

I received a set for my 21" UT in June and installed them. It did take more than 15 minutes per wheel, closer to 45 minutes per wheel, I am not sure how the YouTubers installed them in 15 minutes per wheel. I ordered the set of 5 as I figured I would want to replace them as they got scratched. The first week I had them, one was lost in a car wash, one was lost somewhere in the North GA mountains, and 1 snapped in half, only leaving the thick part attached to the rim. I'm not sure how that one snapped; it did not hit anything, and I was the only one driving the car. So I had to dip into the spare set immediately, but not for the reason I had bought the spare. I noticed that some segments would come loose, and I would need to snap them into place, and now checking them before driving has become my regular pre-drive activity. A bit more maintenance than I wanted. However, they do seem to work with protecting the rims, so I keep them on. I did order a set of the 20' Induction for the MYLR 7 seater that I am taking delivery for this weekend. However, I hope they fit better or do not come loose. I can report back on the 20".

Anyone else notice a strange "swooshing" sound that increases and decreases with speed after installing the MagBak RimCases? I have a Model Y with 21’’ Überturbine wheels and only installed one set on the front passenger wheel so far because of the aforementioned sound. I took it into Tesla service, but the tech was pretty adamant that the RimCase was what was causing the sound. He recommended removing it to confirm -- but as those that have installed know -- it's a pain in the @$$ to install/remove these things. I guess air could be making its way through the RimCase, but it seems strange since I can hear the sound even at slow speeds of around 5mph.

Anyone else notice a strange "swooshing" sound that increases and decreases with speed after installing the MagBak RimCases? I have a Model Y with 21’’ Überturbine wheels and only installed one set on the front passenger wheel so far because of the aforementioned sound. I took it into Tesla service, but the tech was pretty adamant that the RimCase was what was causing the sound. He recommended removing it to confirm -- but as those that have installed know -- it's a pain in the @$$ to install/remove these things. I guess air could be making its way through the RimCase, but it seems strange since I can hear the sound even at slow speeds of around 5mph.
Well, since the sound only started after you installed them, then yeah they are most likely the issue.

Hence my reason for asking if anyone else had noticed the same thing? ;)
I have not noticed the sound in, 2022 MYP “May 2022 Build” 21” Uberturbine. Maybe I have the music too loud. So far I do like these rim protectors more than alloy gators, and the vinyl stick on rim savors. I wish they came in colors, like red matching the performance calipers, or matching standard paint colors. I wonder if Rustolim high temp plastic paint would work. I may buy another set and try it.

I installed some this weekend. Certainly took more than 15 minutes per wheel, but most of that time is spent applying the PPF stickers. So budget some time for this as it'll take a good couple hours. I recommend you do a nice clean of the rims beforehand. Not noticing any noise after install. For those complaining it's not easy to get on the wheels, well I feel that's actually a positive, since they are on there tight and not easily going to fall off. Overall satisfied with the purchase. I put them on a brand new Model Y Performance with the 21 Uberturbines and they still look great with them on.

So, here is an update on the 21" Uberturbine rim case. As noted before, I have had a few of them coming loose for no real reason and have been checking them for misalignment before each drive. I heard from another user that they improved the design fitment from the early sets. I believe I have some early sets as I ordered them and had to wait a very long time to get them, like two months. I reached out to MagBak, explained my issue, and sent pictures along with the original order details, like the date ordered and the date received, so they could verify an early batch. They did want to know more information like where the loose sections were compared to the valve stem, and if possible, how often they come loose, if I used the PPF stickers, if I had hit anything or had bent rims, and what tires and size I had. These all seemed like reasonable questions, and I answered honestly and as accurately as possible and included updated pictures so they could see the fit alignment issues. They asked how many regular pieces and valve stem pieces I needed. I responded with a number (16 regulars, 3 for the lost ones, 1 for the broken 1, and 12 for three loose per wheel and 4 valve stems as 2 of the loose ones on each wheel are connected to the valve stem, and it could be an issue). I also added a note that if they have updated the design and fitment, then I would rather just have a full replacement of the 5 sets (each wheel plus the spare that I ordered originally). They are shipping replacement of the 5 sets; while they did not confirm that there was an update to the design, I think there has been. I know that they fit a lot better on my wife's 2023 MY LR 20" Inductions than my 2022 MYP 21" Uberturbine. I am very glad I installed them right away on her car because the 2023 MY LR with FSD does not have AUTOPARK yet, and the third day after installing, she curbed the rims parallel parking. Only the rim cases were scratched, and even 2 popped off. She was able to reattach them without issue, and the rims still look great with no scratches. So, I am a believer that they do work. Also of note is the MagBak customer service was great; they were responsive to emails and responded within 24 hours during weekdays. They asked reasonable questions to help them improve the product and document issues of key sections.

So Magbak just released two new colors, red and white. I ordered a red set, will post update and pictures once I have them installed.

well were waiting.jpg

So Magbak just released two new colors, red and white. I ordered a red set, will post update and pictures once I have them installed.
Still waiting :)

Here's an honest review.

I ordered in October after I watched my wife ready to curb my rims. She had her MYP license temporarily suspended while I ordered stuff from MagBak - four sets and a spare + I also ordered their magsafe mount (which is AMAZING - so clean, works great with magsafe cases).

Pricing was expensive but I know what making stuff like this costs and love garage startups, having done my fair share, so I was willing to donate for a good cause (my wife's Tesla license being unsuspended, of course).

Install: (I timed these):
  • 1st wheel: 44 mins
  • 2nd wheel: 22 mins
  • 3rd/4th wheel: about 15 mins (once I knew how to 'snap' them on - there's a technique - especially with the last snap
  • Net: Plan on a 2 hour install
Overall Impression:
  • The PPF is lame. You get these stickers that appear to be designed to 'protect' your OEM rims since you have to stick and snap these over your rims but placement/alignment is a pain. 40% are aligned, 60% are not - experience makes little difference in your success rate.
  • Following up on the PPF is lame comment, some if it comes lose. My rims were clean... like sparkling. Crystal. I detailed cars back when I had no money and followed up with the alcohol pad prep treatment. Still have PPF peeling lose. What's worse, in trying to cut some of the loose, flappy PPF away, I scoured a rim slightly (.25" - nothing crazy) with a razor blade I was trying to use to cut off the PPF. Uggh.
  • The look is amazing. You really can't tell. I challenge my tint guy of 20 years "what do you think of those rims?" "OF, they're amazing" - "Do you see the rim protectors?" "The What?" (gets a foot away from them) ' "HF, whoa. Where'd you find those?" "MagBak - there's money here installing these. Charge cost, maybe a discount, then labor - market them as "Wife Rim protectors", and you've got more business."
I've not had any come off my I'm really meticulous about making sure they snap in. I successfully curbed the right rear rim before my wife did (there's no way I'm living this down in my lifetime...) and I used a bit of 500 grit wet sand and simply sanded it out - no replacement required, and you can't even tell.

Overall, very satisfied. Install was not as clean as the youtubers with referral links would lead you to believe but not terrible. Quality on my 21" ubers with an October 2023 MYP order have been great. They've already paid for themselves, and the peace of mind is similar to the elimination of range anxiety from moving from multiple non-Tesla EVs to a Model YP with access to superchargers everywhere. Definitely Recommend.

Happy to answer questions if anyone has them. I'm not a front for Magbak - 100% honest review and get no referrals.

After I ordered mine, here is my advice:

Be sure you actually want them. Once I took one look at my order, I was confident that they were not worth the time or money to install. I had to pay return shipping, as well as a $35 "restocking" fee.

TLDR Don't buy unless you're highly confident they will work for you because returning them is expensive. MagBack is not return friendly.

Reactions: sdbonez