Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mountain Pass Performance Skid Plate Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to post a review of the Model 3/Y MPP Skid Plate. I was debating with the idea of purchasing it since I was audibly and visibly destroying my OEM crash plate area. A few of the forum posts regarding the pros of the Skid plate pushed me over the edge of buying it. Specifically, a poster stated (I have no clue if this has any validity) but that the batteries are not the issue of being damaged. The point of failure is the battery coolant hoses. Those are supposedly NOT modular and if punctured, the entire pack has to be replaced. The risk of having to foot a large repair bill because a plastic hose was punctured was unsettling. Thus, I purchased the Mountain Pass Performance Skid plate.

The install was VERY simple. I do suggest asking a friend for help since holding this solid aluminum plate is not so easy. After the time to jack up the car, I would say it was 45 minutes at most to get it on. It is a very solid and nice skid plate that seemed stronger than other competitors I looked at. Another great point is that this kit included new hardware. The fit and finish on all the pieces was great and all went smoothly. There are a few suggestions I have to someone who wants to purchase it. Do it earlier than later. 2 of my 4 bolt holes in the front were already crushed/ripped off so they could not be mounted. The other thing I am curious of is the front middle jacking point is covered by the skid plate. Is it recommended to NOT use the jacking point? If we are able to, it would have been nice for them to mark where it is.

I am almost lowered all the way down on MPP Coilovers so the damage I will post is due to that fact - and constant road construction.

Here is the original piece of fiber.
20230723_105006.jpg

The NEW Mountain Pass Performance Skid Plate:

20230723_100017.jpg

Skid Plate Installed:
20230723_104612.jpg

Reactions: freed0m
There's also a black anodized hydroformed skidplate that is similar available from several manufacturers. I don't know if the MPP plate has the bending/center support issues I had with snow loads bending the plate upwards but here's how I fixed that. There are also coolant line guards you can install at the back edge of the wheel well.