Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade: Software Update or Hardware Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of threads discuss wether the upgrade to existing Non-L P90D to P90DL is all software or involves changing the contactors (1300A>1500A)

Forum Evidence of Software
- tesla service who have done this at service centers for their demos cars
- photos the same battery packs

Evidence of Hardware
- common sense? iconel is expensive.

now that tesla offers the upgrade on the store
Tesla — Ludicrous Mode P90D
DO WE KNOW FOR SURE WHICH ONE IT IS?

the exact wording of the product description DOES NOT discuss hardware changes.

Tesla PN: 1074943-00-A

Price shown is for the upgrade only and excludes labor. Tax will be charged at the time of purchase. Global pricing may vary.

Upgrade the level of performance in your existing P90D from “INSANE” to “LUDICROUS”! This upgrade will decrease 0-60 mph time by 10% to 2.8 seconds with a quarter mile time of 10.9 seconds. The time to 155 mph is now 20% faster than a standard Model S Performance.

The LUDICROUS mode upgrade is available for all P90D vehicles. These vehicles will receive updated badging to P90D where the underline denotes the LUDICROUS upgrade.

Cost of installation labor is not included in price, please contact your nearest Service Center to confirm the labor rate and availability.

North America market only. For additional questions related to the retrofit, please contact [email protected].

Details for the Europe market, please contact: [email protected]

For all other regions, please contact your nearest Service Center.

I'm pretty sure that with the P85D it requires replacing the pack fuse for the rear motor, and installing that fuse for the front motor. And replacing the contactors. Then modifying the firmware.

Don't know about the P90D.

The only solid indication so far that there's any hardware involved is that weird mention of "installation labor" on the page. My guess is that that's either because:
  1. They're a bunch of jerks and will charge for the labor of clicking the button on the service laptop.
  2. They're going to charge you 0.1 hours to glue the underline under your P90D badge.
  3. The "cost of labor not included" language is generic boilerplate they put on every upgrade and whoever put this up either forgot to remove it or didn't realize it's not necessary here.
I'd bet on #3, personally. I guess we'll probably see soon enough. Can't be too long before a forum member with a surplus of cash decides to lighten their pockets with this upgrade.

I wonder if they could be convinced to offer an 85 -> P85 upgrade like this. Rumor has it that this is also just a software switch.