Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just in case anyone here is jealous of the Northern Virginia guys having gotten their upgrades, it will be a while before we (or at least I) get to use them. The snow in the fields (not in drifts) is about 18" deep and it's still snowing hard. Given the impassible narrow road the last couple miles to my farm, I doubt ludicrous mode will get any action for at least a week but more probably two.

LetsGoFast can you please share your knowledge and the process you are about to undertake with the CAN logger?
What are the overall system requirements?
Does the CAM logger store the data in an onboard storage device?

Really snowing hard here in CT.... horizontal and 30 MPH gusts... about 5" on the ground since 8 AM this morning...
It is expected to snow here until 3 AM Sunday...

LetsGoFast can you please share your knowledge and the process you are about to undertake with the CAN logger?
What are the overall system requirements?
Does the CAM logger store the data in an onboard storage device?

Really snowing hard here in CT.... horizontal and 30 MPH gusts... about 5" on the ground since 8 AM this morning...
It is expected to snow here until 3 AM Sunday...

Ypu might want to address your questions to the guys in the hacking thread. I may be the least well-informed guy in the room. If you want answers from me as sort of the regular guy perspective, I'd be happy to share what I learn.

Ypu might want to address your questions to the guys in the hacking thread. I may be the least well-informed guy in the room. If you want answers from me as sort of the regular guy perspective, I'd be happy to share what I learn.

Sure, you should keep a sort of blogish thread with your implementation, notes and observations.

Where for instance do you tap into the CAN bus? How is this done? Does the CAN bus logger get power from the bus itself?

For those in the Bay Area waiting for a Ludicrous upgrade, I just heard back from the Fremont service center. They are doing a handful of upgrades a week but are highly dependent on the amount of "parts" they get (I'm assuming those are contactors and fuses), which has apparently been variable.

I'm currently 71st on the list, meaning there are 70 P85D owners who are waiting to get their upgrades at the Fremont SC ahead of me. So I'm at least a few months away from having my upgrade done, unless they get more parts at a higher frequency and have the manpower to do more than a few upgrades a week.

For those in the Bay Area waiting for a Ludicrous upgrade, I just heard back from the Fremont service center. They are doing a handful of upgrades a week but are highly dependent on the amount of "parts" they get (I'm assuming those are contactors and fuses), which has apparently been variable.

I'm currently 71st on the list, meaning there are 70 P85D owners who are waiting to get their upgrades at the Fremont SC ahead of me. So I'm at least a few months away from having my upgrade done, unless they get more parts at a higher frequency and have the manpower to do more than a few upgrades a week.

Any idea when you put your deposit down? I've called and emailed Fremont several times in the past couple weeks, but despite having spoken to several people over there, I have yet to have any indication what number I am on the wait list, let alone when that number might come up.

Thanks for the update, Marc!

71+ ahead of me :) Maybe in a couple of years...

Sure thing! I dearly hope it doesn't take a couple of years :biggrin:

Any idea when you put your deposit down? I've called and emailed Fremont several times in the past couple weeks, but despite having spoken to several people over there, I have yet to have any indication what number I am on the wait list, let alone when that number might come up.

12/15/2015

What about you?

Excellent, well done! Any idea what number you were on the list?

I asked (several times actually), but for whatever reason, did not get a straight answer to that question.

Also, for what it's worth (and I could be completely off base about this), but I suspect that I got scheduled for that day largely because I became a huge pain in the ass calling and emailing them over the past couple weeks. Who knows, I might have gotten in sooner if i hadn't accepted radio silence for so long.

After quite a few interactions with Tesla service over the past year, I'm left with the distinct impression that it's 'fly by the seat of your pants night' on the service side. I think the people are great and mean well, but the company doesn't seem to have consistent or mature customer service protocols, can't build the facilities big or quick enough, can't get parts ordered in a reasonable time-frame and just haven't ramped staffing to handle the influx of so many new owners every week. Growing pains of a fast growing startup I guess... I'll cut them some slack as an 'early adopter', but I think the model 3 ramp-up has the chance to sink this ship if they don't get things sorted in the next 18 months.

Last edited:
I asked (several times actually), but for whatever reason, did not get a straight answer to that question.

Also, for what it's worth (and I could be completely off base about this), but I suspect that I got scheduled for that day largely because I became a huge pain in the ass calling and emailing them over the past couple weeks. Who knows, I might have gotten in sooner if i hadn't accepted radio silence for so long.

After quite a few interactions with Tesla service over the past year, I'm left with the distinct impression that it's 'fly by the seat of your pants night' on the service side. I think the people are great and mean well, but the company doesn't seem to have consistent or mature customer service protocols, can't build the facilities big or quick enough, can't get parts ordered in a reasonable time-frame and just haven't ramped staffing to handle the influx of so many new owners every week. Growing pains of a fast growing startup I guess... I'll cut them some slack as an 'early adopter', but I think the model 3 ramp-up has the chance to sink this ship if they don't get things sorted in the next 18 months.

Thanks for the details. I agree with your comments and feel that while the service centers try hard to do their best, they're somewhat "starved" from HQ in consistent messaging, staffing, and parts.

FYI per my service advisor, the service center I usually go to is moving to a seven day per week schedule to accommodate the huge and increasing volume of service requests they've been getting.

Last edited: