Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just scheduled my ludicrous upgrade for Monday December 23. It will take two days. Mine will be the second of five upgrades being scheduled.
If someone with the right equipment (vbox) and knowledge is willing to help me, I'd like to take before and after measurements to provide to this forum. I can meet said person anywhere in the SF Bay Area.

The upgrade to my MS won't be done until tomorrow. I'm not complaining, merely checking in with ya'll. I'm also making arrangements to connect with some other folks and capture vbox data (or whatever the proper nomenclature is). That might not happen under after Turkey Day.

The upgrade to my MS won't be done until tomorrow. I'm not complaining, merely checking in with ya'll. I'm also making arrangements to connect with some other folks and capture vbox data (or whatever the proper nomenclature is). That might not happen under after Turkey Day.

Thanks for the update.

Looking forward to your post tomorrow.

Last edited:
I just scheduled my ludicrous upgrade for Monday December 23. It will take two days. Mine will be the second of five upgrades being scheduled.
If someone with the right equipment (vbox) and knowledge is willing to help me, I'd like to take before and after measurements to provide to this forum. I can meet said person anywhere in the SF Bay Area.

You mean Monday November 23rd? I just scheduled mine for December 21st but I know I'm after you :)

I don't want to raise anyone's level of optimism any higher than it already is, but it would really be something if these cars turned out to be even quicker and closer to that 10.9, at least immediately after this upgrade and in the short term and before any possible yet to be announced updates, than the current P90D Ludicrous cars.

Now why did you have to say that��

I am anxiously awaiting yomama's initial impressions.
yo please post soon after the drive home.

Just doing the math.

I figure only three things can happen.

We get "worse" , "just as good", or "better" than current P90D Ludicrous quarter mile performance.

I'm thinking that an update to P90D Ludicrous may be in the works as no one has even sniffed 10.9 yet.

If that's the case, then what if that update showed up in these upgraded P85Ds first?

Yo mama has already described something in P85D ludicrous which is a little different than what we see in P90D ludicrous. Ludicrous does not even become available until battery warm up.

Do any of you recall the Mortor Trend article where it speaks of a launch control of some type?

Could this be what they were referring to?

It seems odd to have to go through this battery warming exercise, with Ludicrous unavailable during that effort, just to pick up 2 tenths.

The other thing about that which has me thinking, is that the current max battery "feature" does little to nothing in either the current P85D insane, nor the current P90D Ludicrous.

Now, it might actually do something.

I wouldn't be be surprised if this turned out to be more to that than what currently meets the eye.

Last edited:
A $5k upgrade to a p85d making it quicker then a p90dl would be,,, erm.. Ludicrous..

And suicidal given the number of complaints from p90dl owners they'd get.

There is NO way a p85dl will ever be quicker than a p90dl as why make owners take the battery upgrade?

A much more realistic scenario to me is that they are right on the edge of what's possible and if right temperature, right state of charge and so on are all necessary then it's a gimmic not useable in every day driving.

As for future potential? Well the elephant in the room is that battery power limits are well within motor power limits. A p90dl, if my memory is correct, still puts out less battery power than an 85d motor power can handle. If that's correct, while there is a low speed benefit of the bigger rear motor, everything they do is pure battery related and could just as easily be applied to any of the cars. If they can exploit the motor power more then great, and that will be a great for all owners.

A $5k upgrade to a p85d making it quicker then a p90dl would be,,, erm.. Ludicrous..

And suicidal given the number of complaints from p90dl owners they'd get.

There is NO way a p85dl will ever be quicker than a p90dl as why make owners take the battery upgrade?

A much more realistic scenario to me is that they are right on the edge of what's possible and if right temperature, right state of charge and so on are all necessary then it's a gimmic not useable in every day driving.

As for future potential? Well the elephant in the room is that battery power limits are well within motor power limits. A p90dl, if my memory is correct, still puts out less battery power than an 85d motor power can handle. If that's correct, while there is a low speed benefit of the bigger rear motor, everything they do is pure battery related and could just as easily be applied to any of the cars. If they can exploit the motor power more then great, and that will be a great for all owners.

Perhaps you're right. Indeed you probably are. Admittedly what I'm talking here is the longest of long shots.

But the requirement of going to the 90 kWh battery is only in effect for P85Ds bought after 7/17/15.

Why "make" people take the battery upgrade? If for no other reason, because they can.

Is the 90kWh battery "needed" to get the car to 10.9 or close to that?

At this point only Tesla can answer that.

Last edited:
I think the timing of the upgrade is odd frankly. Seems strange to me to do it before releasing whatever software upgrade is needed to get the existing P90DL's to match the Motor Trend numbers (or get close). It does make me wonder if the early P85DL will be faster for a minute.

Yo mama has already described something in P85D ludicrous which is a little different than what we see in P90D ludicrous. Ludicrous does not even become available until battery warm up.

I think what was actually meant is that "Ludicrous performance is not available until the battery is warmed up", not that you can't select that option in the dashboard. This is consistent with current P90DL behaviour — you can leave the option set to Ludicrous all the time.

I think what was actually meant is that "Ludicrous performance is not available until the battery is warmed up", not that you can't select that option in the dashboard. This is consistent with current P90DL behaviour — you can leave the option set to Ludicrous all the time.

That's what I was thinking initially. But then I went back and read what he had to say again and how he worded it.

Okay, dropped my MS off this evening. Everyone was super cool. Picked up two little tidbits. First, sounds like they are only doing 1 upgrade per week at the moment. Second, for an upgraded P85DL the battery has to be warmed up (not hot or cold) in order for ludicrous mode to even present itself as an option. I suspect the "max power" software upgrade was intended to help with this. I'm pretty pumped though - so were the service folks.

"Even present itself as an option"....That's why I'm anxious to see the screen shots.

If this is the case, and "ludicrous won't present itself as an option" in an 85D Ludicrous until certain criteria are met, well then I'm wondering just why this is the case.

Is it solely because of the 85kWh battery? Or is it due that and something else.... Like an update?

Last edited:
"Even present itself as an option"....That's why I'm anxious to see the screen shots.

Huh, you're right, that is indeed very different from current P90DL. I hope this is just the service tech misinterpreting the information from HQ though. It would be very annoying if you had to go to the dashboard every day to enable this option after driving for 15 mins or something. If I can't leave that setting enabled all the time, I think it would be pretty much useless.

Huh, you're right, that is indeed very different from current P90DL. I hope this is just the service tech misinterpreting the information from HQ though. It would be very annoying if you had to go to the dashboard every day to enable this option after driving for 15 mins or something. If I can't leave that setting enabled all the time, I think it would be pretty much useless.

That's why, if what he was told is accurate, I'm wondering now if there is more here than meets the eye.

It would make no sense to not even have access to Ludicrous unless all the stars aligned.

An upgrade like that and with such a requirement, would be of limited use, unless it were extremely effective (as in giving the user 10.9 or thereabouts quarter mile capability) once activated.

I'm told it's still not done but "should" be available before closing today. That's fine. My Tesla app did just register a software upgrade, though. But the car isn't fully charged yet so I suspect there is still some work to be done.