Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid Air - private showing and ride yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just amazed that Lucid (or companies like it) can exist. I'm reminded of the early days of automobiles when (I think) dozens of manufacturers existed that made low volume productions. I honestly thought the barriers to entry are MUCH more formidable now. Heck, just the regulatory hoops are extreme.

I really like this car. The exterior is a bit boxy though but overall great feeling. Of course the interior looks better than a Tesla but it is not in production and by this time Tesla will realease its second generation Model S.

Rawlinson looks ecstatic by the way... he must be!

Reactions: David99
I'd really have a hard time putting down an unsecured deposit especially without knowing exactly how much this car will cost. Does anyone know where the $160k figure comes from? They didn't mention it during the Los Angeles event as far as I can recall...

I'd really have a hard time putting down an unsecured deposit especially without knowing exactly how much this car will cost. Does anyone know where the $160k figure comes from? They didn't mention it during the Los Angeles event as far as I can recall...
The $160,000 was estimated for the Launch edition, kind of like a Tesla's signature editions, and requires $25,000 deposit. The regular ones are supposed to be around $100,000 at first and later they plan to get down to the $65,000 range. Can't remember where I read that, but here is the link about the deposits:
Reserve Your Lucid Air

I asked and they said between $65k and $165k. Standard configuration around 80k. So pretty much like a Model S.

Zero chance of getting a 100 kWh version for $65k. Before 2025

The $65k figure is for a decontented version some time in the future.

The cheapest 2019 will probably start at $100k.

They are hoping to start with an economies of scale of ~10k units per year.

Hoping to scale up with a cheaper Model 3 type car to 200k units per year.

I think a lot of people are going to be very disappointed in the value proposition.

Has Lucid Air broken ground in Arizona on their factory?

If they broke ground yesterday getting the cars into customer hands in 2019 is going to be tough.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaff
Yeah that's one reason why Lucid is particularly interesting. A number have folks have done this before, so imo it improves the likelihood of success - particularly if backed by Chinese capital. Assuming that Chinese company is stable and funded that is.

Yeah that's one reason why Lucid is particularly interesting. A number have folks have done this before, so imo it improves the likelihood of success - particularly if backed by Chinese capital. Assuming that Chinese company is stable and funded that is.

These are the biggest Lucid Motors owners from biggest to smallest. Le Eco of China also has a very small interest. I have heard but not confirmed Venrock owns up to 40%

Venrock Venture Capital of Palo Alto, California,
Tsing Capital Venture Capital of Beijing China
Mitsui & Co. Global Investment Corporate Venture of Tokyo, Japan