Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR3 is too efficient

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. Real world efficiency of tank to wheels of 25%, best case scenario. We won't talk about idling in traffic, cold starts, etc.

You also forgot a whole 'nother line of inefficiencies of gas cars, namely, how do you think that gas got in your tank? Because it didn't magically appear on the scene out of nowhere.

1) pumped from the ground.
2) transported to a refinery.
3) refined from crude into gasoline (refineries consume so much electricity they have their own power substations).
4) transported to a gas station.
5) pumped into your tank.

EV's are a heck of a lot more efficient than ICE cars, it's not fake news.
When you're right, you're right and you are right,......................................................... on this one, haha!

Nope. Real world efficiency of tank to wheels of 25%, best case scenario. We won't talk about idling in traffic, cold starts, etc.

You also forgot a whole 'nother line of inefficiencies of gas cars, namely, how do you think that gas got in your tank? Because it didn't magically appear on the scene out of nowhere.

1) pumped from the ground.
2) transported to a refinery.
3) refined from crude into gasoline (refineries consume so much electricity they have their own power substations).
4) transported to a gas station.
5) pumped into your tank.

EV's are a heck of a lot more efficient than ICE cars, it's not fake news.
All those points still apply to EVs in some form.

Be it natural gas or coal extraction then transportation, processing. Electrical transmission and distribution has losses as does charging and I have never had a ICE vehicle that would consume meaningful energy while parked.........

I am not saying that EVs are bad, I am saying half truths destroy your credibility.
Here near Green Bay with had having been close to $2 a gallon most of the winter and my S exposed to outdoor temps and windswept at that I ran the numbers crudely and I could have driven my 2005 Sierra for the same cost. When it is COLD and I don't preheat or charge right before my short commute can go over 800 and settle to 700wh/m and that doesn't count preheat, vampire drain, charging losses.

First I am a Tesla owner and fan.
Second I hate to see people spew bad info for good reasons because then when you try and make points to thoughtful people they will dismiss all you say based on bad details.

In a gas car the inefficient energy conversion happens in the car, believe current ICE are 35-38% efficient.
State of the art natural gas power plants are 60% efficient and then we have transmission and charging losses not seen at the actual vehicle.

ICE will always take more power to go down the road because of the cooling needs being aerodynamically bad, but let us be HONEST about the fact electrical generation is inefficient too and we just don't see it in the car like you do with an ICE. This doesn't mean the inefficiency doesn't exist, just doesn't show up at the car.
If you are going to throw in that caveat then you have to also include the amount of energy it takes to refine gasoline. Also, many states grids are going cleaner (wind, solar, hydro, etc.) and gasoline will never get cleaner.

Reactions: StealthP3D
The neat thing about the RWD LR3 is that real EPA range is actually 340 miles, and not 325 (what the website says now) or 310 (what the website used to say).

The AWD LR3 can't compete because the front induction motors can't be turned off completely as in not having any drag.

The rear motors are really quite efficient on the 3.

I expect that the RWD LR3 will dominate the TeslaFi miles per charge records for at least another year.

First I am a Tesla owner and fan.
Second I hate to see people spew bad info for good reasons because then when you try and make points to thoughtful people they will dismiss all you say based on bad details.

In a gas car the inefficient energy conversion happens in the car, believe current ICE are 35-38% efficient.
State of the art natural gas power plants are 60% efficient and then we have transmission and charging losses not seen at the actual vehicle.

ICE will always take more power to go down the road because of the cooling needs being aerodynamically bad, but let us be HONEST about the fact electrical generation is inefficient too and we just don't see it in the car like you do with an ICE. This doesn't mean the inefficiency doesn't exist, just doesn't show up at the car.

I was going to make the same points about ICE efficiency .. but you did first.

In conversation I try to be very clear about zero emissions of EV, by prefixing it with "at the consumption end of the spectrum..."

Sure it takes carbon emissions to get energy into the tank, be it gasoline, or electricity. As a consumer, for what I have control over, I can do little about the producer end of the spectrum.

But as a consumer, I'm fully doing my part of zero emissions at my end of the deal driving a BEV car. This is something to be very proud of! Biting off what you can actually chew.

Technically, hydrogen car drivers could make a similar claim, even thought they are ICE. All six of them.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: StealthP3D
@gilscales

1CA6C980-A200-4B30-9A28-60A918BAC600.jpeg

All those points still apply to EVs in some form.

Be it natural gas or coal extraction then transportation, processing. Electrical transmission and distribution has losses as does charging and I have never had a ICE vehicle that would consume meaningful energy while parked.........

I am not saying that EVs are bad, I am saying half truths destroy your credibility.
Here near Green Bay with had having been close to $2 a gallon most of the winter and my S exposed to outdoor temps and windswept at that I ran the numbers crudely and I could have driven my 2005 Sierra for the same cost. When it is COLD and I don't preheat or charge right before my short commute can go over 800 and settle to 700wh/m and that doesn't count preheat, vampire drain, charging losses.
Just from my cozy and temperate SoCal location, for me, I just figured my usage with less efficient that stock tires (255/40/19 Conti DWS06) and only using my 85% efficiency rating from those, counting charging losses and figuring for our ridiculously sky high local price on premium gas at approx. $3.60 right now then my mile per gallon equivalent is about 120

Wanna be Tesla owner here driving a 2016 Leaf SV. Speed limits are lower in this valley. Mostly 90 Km per hour. Occasionally 100 Km per hour. We get about 6.4 km per kWh on year round average. Right now reading about 6 km per kWh and will creep up to 6.8 before the hi heat hits and air conditioner use. Speed is a big factor.

I was going to make the same points about ICE efficiency .. but you did first.

In conversation I try to be very clear about zero emissions of EV, by prefixing it with "at the consumption end of the spectrum..."

Sure it takes carbon emissions to get energy into the tank, be it gasoline, or electricity. As a consumer, for what I have control over, I can do little about the producer end of the spectrum.

But as a consumer, I'm fully doing my part of zero emissions at my end of the deal driving a BEV car. This is something to be very proud of! Biting off what you can actually chew.

Technically, hydrogen car drivers could make a similar claim, even thought they are ICE. All six of them.

Actually as a consumer, I am able to somewhat control the energy generation as well in several ways. Some utilities allow you to buy cleaner energy and other folks (such as myself) can power their EVs at home using solar power. In fact, I feed power to the grid as I have more than I need for my Model 3 and my home. I realize I am perhaps the exception but every little bit counts.

My in-car efficiency according to the car is 223 Wh/mi but this does not occur for all other losses such as vampire drain and other in-car use or for losses in conversion from the wall to the car or from the solar panels to the house circuit. Suppose I use about 1/3 loss in total for all of these, I think my efficiency drops to 333 Wh/mi. I think that is overly conservative but even with this number, I am still getting nearly 100 mpge.

I am no expert in any of this so please feel free to correct any of my assumptions or calculations. I truly want to be educated properly on this so I represent it to others properly as well.

...which don't work when there are clouds or at night or no substantial differences in atmospheric air pressure.

P.S. I have had solar for a little over 8 years. It was fairly expensive as the ROI at the time was estimated at 16 years. Our yearly true-up cost is only about $150 or so. This is without any charging being done at home. I have the HPWC but since I get free electrons at work, i haven't installed it yet.

P.P.S. My lifetime efficiency is sitting at 229wh/mI after just over 8,800 miles.

Last edited:
...which don't work when there are clouds or at night or no substantial differences in atmospheric air pressure.

Actually, wind generators work great at night or when there are clouds, they average higher output under these conditions. And photovoltaics tend to average higher output when there are not substantial atmospheric pressure gradients. That's why the combination of the two together is so excellent!