Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long trip AC fails when supercharging.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has happened to me on three long trips now. 180 miles in and plug into the charger and the AC fails and will not work again for 12-24 hours.

Rebooting and power cycling do not work.

Third time it happened it was in dog mode with my dog in the car!!! Got back and it was up to 80 degrees.

Brought it in for service after the first two incidents. They said it was the expansion vale sensor fault and low on coolant. I think they go no clue.

Anyone else have this issue?

the AC fails and will not work again for 12-24 hours.

Rebooting and power cycling do not work.

Third time it happened it was in dog mode with my dog in the car!!! Got back and it was up to 80 degrees.

Brought it in for service after the first two incidents. They said it was the expansion vale sensor fault and low on coolant. I think they go no clue.

Anyone else have this issue?
What leads you to think they have no clue? You have an A/C fault of some kind, and I have heard of similar kinds of issues from a few different causes, and that does sound like a reasonable explanation for it. Just take it in and have them fix it.

Reactions: Fossil Fool
Whenever I use dog mode I set a timer on my phone for every10 minutes to check the cabin temperature in the App. And if it’s really hot I might go and physically check the cabin is cool the first time the timer goes off.

The dog mode is a little quirky about displaying actual temp vs target temp. This may have been fixed since but I’m extremely cautious with it because I know I saw readings that made no sense a couple times.

Whenever I use dog mode I set a timer on my phone for every10 minutes to check the cabin temperature in the App. And if it’s really hot I might go and physically check the cabin is cool the first time the timer goes off.

The dog mode is a little quirky about displaying actual temp vs target temp. This may have been fixed since but I’m extremely cautious with it because I know I saw readings that made no sense a couple times.
Good idea. I was not trusting it after my first two AC failures in similar scenarios. It only took about 8 minutes to get up to 78 and had the dog out for water and a walk before it hit 80.

3rd time for the same ac issue lemon law.
Hopefully it doesn’t get to that. 4 for 4 failing on long trips after last week Philly to cape cod and back. Failed both ways. That’s 2 more incidents since the first fix. Scheduled to go in on the 19th for attempt 2 for them to fix it.

Looks like they get two more shots at it before I can get a refund/replacement in Pa.

What is failing? Is it the fan or the condenser / compressor? If your car just blows hot air, then it is likely the condenser. Another thing to check is that your condenser is possibly overheating or not getting enough outside air to cool the refrigerant.

The fan and everything functions but the air is not cooled or dehumidifies. It happens only after 3-4 hours of driving and supercharging. The ac function automatically turns off in auto mode. It can be forced on manually but does not function. The AC begins working normally again 12-24 hours later. It really was not that hot out on 3 of the 4 occurrences. Low to high 80s.

Service update. My appointment has been delayed to September for parts to be delivered. Not sure what to do if I end up having to drive long range for work before then. ‍♂️

The fan and everything functions but the air is not cooled or dehumidifies. It happens only after 3-4 hours of driving and supercharging. The ac function automatically turns off in auto mode. It can be forced on manually but does not function. The AC begins working normally again 12-24 hours later. It really was not that hot out on 3 of the 4 occurrences. Low to high 80s.

Service update. My appointment has been delayed to September for parts to be delivered. Not sure what to do if I end up having to drive long range for work before then. ‍♂️
T
What is failing? Is it the fan or the condenser / compressor? If your car just blows hot air, then it is likely the condenser. Another thing to check is that your condenser is possibly overheating or not getting enough outside air to cool the refrigerant.

First time they replace the evaporator valve. Saying there was a fault in the sensor.

First time they replace the evaporator valve. Saying there was a fault in the sensor.

Since the fan works it definitely seems like something is wrong with the compressor, or cooled refrigerant is just not getting to the cabin fan during long trips / Supercharger sessions. Refrigerant may be getting to the li-ion battery to cool it (from the compressor). If your car doesn't report that the battery is too hot during long trips when the issue happens, then you could have some kind of a distributor valve issue. This is where refrigerant is only directed by the valve to the battery. Another possibility is that there is insufficient cooling capacity caused by the compressor going bad.

Did you check the front AC air intakes when the car is on (near the bumper)? What if you keep it on manual and when the problem happens, turn the AC off for five minutes with the car on, then turn the AC setting back on? Also try making sure recirculate is activated.

Additionally until it's fixed you can try cooling the car 20 minutes before you start on a long trip using the app or manually, with the temperature set lower such as to 65 degrees (sync on both sides). Make sure the front / rear window heat settings are off as well.

When it goes in for a fix, you should do a Supercharger session or find some other way to make sure it actively exhibits the problem (may be leave it in the sun or drive it for an extended amount of time). I think the easier it is for them to see / reproduce the issue, the quicker you'll have the problem fixed.

Another option - ask them for a loaner car if you need to go on a long trip.

I hope all of this information helps you.

Our 2005 Toyota Sequoia had major electrical bugs in the accessories in the rear half of the vehicle. And of course, they just had to be intermittent. After 10(!) trips to the dealership (and replacing a lot of components unnecessarily and expensively), it became obvious that they had just aimed the "parts cannon" at the car in an attempt to fix it. I ended up ordering the actual Toyota repair manual (not the ones that you can buy online, I'm talking about the repair manuals that Toyota mechanics use) and studying the entire electrical system, and ended up troubleshooting it myself. Went to the dealer, ordered the parts, then had them install them.

TL;DR: you may be better served by learning the effected system inside and out, diagnosing it, and just telling them what parts need to be replaced. It'll probably take you 8 to 10 hours of studying, but in the end it could very well end up saving you much more time and effort (not to mention expense) than having them keep taking wild guesses at it. Not to mention that it can be fun to learn such intricacies of the car.

It's also amazing what kind of service you get when you just mention the words "lemon law" to them. ;)

Since the fan works it definitely seems like something is wrong with the compressor, or cooled refrigerant is just not getting to the cabin fan during long trips / Supercharger sessions. Refrigerant may be getting to the li-ion battery to cool it (from the compressor). If your car doesn't report that the battery is too hot during long trips when the issue happens, then you could have some kind of a distributor valve issue. This is where refrigerant is only directed by the valve to the battery. Another possibility is that there is insufficient cooling capacity caused by the compressor going bad.

Did you check the front AC air intakes when the car is on (near the bumper)? What if you keep it on manual and when the problem happens, turn the AC off for five minutes with the car on, then turn the AC setting back on? Also try making sure recirculate is activated.

Additionally until it's fixed you can try cooling the car 20 minutes before you start on a long trip using the app or manually, with the temperature set lower such as to 65 degrees (sync on both sides). Make sure the front / rear window heat settings are off as well.

When it goes in for a fix, you should do a Supercharger session or find some other way to make sure it actively exhibits the problem (may be leave it in the sun or drive it for an extended amount of time). I think the easier it is for them to see / reproduce the issue, the quicker you'll have the problem fixed.

Another option - ask them for a loaner car if you need to go on a long trip.

I hope all of this information helps you.
I think you’re misunderstanding the issue. AC works just fine most of the time. Even in the heatwave today.

It literally fails only in that specific scenario, after 3 - 4 hours of driving and being connected to a supercharger. It is then is out for 12-24 hours then back to functioning normally after it sorts it’s self out. This makes it impossible to bring it in when it is exhibiting the issue. Unless I make the 6 miles to the service center a 200 mile adventure to a supercharger and back.

The shutters for the air intakes (near the bumper) are functional and open as they should. No warnings or indicators of any kind.

The issue is I take it on 7-8 hour drives and the second half of the drive with no AC or defrosters is uncomfortable or dangerous respectively.

Our 2005 Toyota Sequoia had major electrical bugs in the accessories in the rear half of the vehicle. And of course, they just had to be intermittent. After 10(!) trips to the dealership (and replacing a lot of components unnecessarily and expensively), it became obvious that they had just aimed the "parts cannon" at the car in an attempt to fix it. I ended up ordering the actual Toyota repair manual (not the ones that you can buy online, I'm talking about the repair manuals that Toyota mechanics use) and studying the entire electrical system, and ended up troubleshooting it myself. Went to the dealer, ordered the parts, then had them install them.

TL;DR: you may be better served by learning the effected system inside and out, diagnosing it, and just telling them what parts need to be replaced. It'll probably take you 8 to 10 hours of studying, but in the end it could very well end up saving you much more time and effort (not to mention expense) than having them keep taking wild guesses at it. Not to mention that it can be fun to learn such intricacies of the car.

It's also amazing what kind of service you get when you just mention the words "lemon law" to them. ;)
It hasn’t cost me anything other than time and hassle.

I’m not training to be a Tesla engineer to do their jobs for them. They should be able to support their products. They got two more shots to fix it before lemon laws

Reactions: vickh and Rocky_H
I think you’re misunderstanding the issue. AC works just fine most of the time. Even in the heatwave today.

It literally fails only in that specific scenario, after 3 - 4 hours of driving and being connected to a supercharger. It is then is out for 12-24 hours then back to functioning normally after it sorts it’s self out. This makes it impossible to bring it in when it is exhibiting the issue. Unless I make the 6 miles to the service center a 200 mile adventure to a supercharger and back.

The shutters for the air intakes (near the bumper) are functional and open as they should. No warnings or indicators of any kind.

The issue is I take it on 7-8 hour drives and the second half of the drive with no AC or defrosters is uncomfortable or dangerous respectively.
Have you tried having Tesla re-flash your car's software entirely? Almost sounds like some software corruption, as all of the hardware itself is working fine. Might be time to do the Tesla equivalent of formatting the hard drive and starting from scratch.

Have you tried having Tesla re-flash your car's software entirely? Almost sounds like some software corruption, as all of the hardware itself is working fine. Might be time to do the Tesla equivalent of formatting the hard drive and starting from scratch.
The mobile tech in NH did this the morning after the second incident. Amusingly they were replying to the first incident. It wasn’t working before the install and was after. Not sure if the update or the action of installing it or just time passing fixed it. However the car has gotten 1 or 2 regular software updates since then and still has the issue occur 3rd and 4th times.

I tend to think it is software as well due to the nature of the issue. They have parts on order not sure if they know what it is but the parts will be here in September. Maybe they are hoping the weather changes and I go away thinking it’s fixed. Not sure. Little concerned about not getting to test it properly when “fixed.”

The mobile tech in NH did this the morning after the second incident. Amusingly they were replying to the first incident. It wasn’t working before the install and was after. Not sure if the update or the action of installing it or just time passing fixed it. However the car has gotten 1 or 2 regular software updates since then and still has the issue occur 3rd and 4th times.

I tend to think it is software as well due to the nature of the issue. They have parts on order not sure if they know what it is but the parts will be here in September. Maybe they are hoping the weather changes and I go away thinking it’s fixed. Not sure. Little concerned about not getting to test it properly when “fixed.”

Thanks for the update, I hope they are able to get you a permanent fix for the problem soon.

Reactions: Phlier

Thanks for the update, I hope they are able to get you a permanent fix for the problem soon.

Yeah, there are those of us that really appreciate you keeping us updated on what they're doing for you, as well as if they're able to get you fixed up or not.

Hopefully their latest attempt will be a permanent fix.

Reactions: Fossil Fool
Yeah, there are those of us that really appreciate you keeping us updated on what they're doing for you, as well as if they're able to get you fixed up or not.

Hopefully their latest attempt will be a permanent fix.
It’s going in Thursday. I had a very detailed conversation with a Sr. Tech at The service center. After our chat he ordered a bunch more parts and added to the list it wires and harnesses between the evaporator valve and the computer to check.

Seems my problem is still unique. Hopefully they get it this time.