Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long range vs performance - spare part differences, maintenance cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I know the differences between the two types, but can u help me about the cost of maintenance? I'm interested in type raven.

I know that tyre for the the 22" wheels is much more expensive. But what about the brakes, brake pads? I heard that the suspension is different, is this true?

The maintenance, spare parts are more expensive for the performance, or it's not true?

Only difference is the 22inch rim and tires are expensive and limited brands. I would get the 20’s and then think of getting aftermarket 21 or 22 inch forged rims which are lighter & stronger than factory set. The brake pads & rotors are the same as regular model X. You basically paying for speed for acceleration.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
@onceset - I cannot speak to the cost difference but can suggest you seek to understand the ongoing model X painpoints.

→ “shudder” (front CVs being overloaded due to angle placement)
→ excess rear tire ware
→ rear HVAC weakness
→ general poor build quality (not saying all X’s but something to keep an eye out for)

I’m addition you may want to familiarize yourself with battery degradation expectations, as that may prove useful in gauging how stressed the battery of a used X may be.

@onceset - I cannot speak to the cost difference but can suggest you seek to understand the ongoing model X painpoints.

→ “shudder” (front CVs being overloaded due to angle placement)
→ excess rear tire ware
→ rear HVAC weakness
→ general poor build quality (not saying all X’s but something to keep an eye out for)

I’m addition you may want to familiarize yourself with battery degradation expectations, as that may prove useful in gauging how stressed the battery of a used X may be.
Shutter - MOST disappointing thing about 'refresh', still does it, after 6 years they couldn't be bothered to fix it. Just had both shafts replaced on our 2021 Long Range refresh at 15K miles.
Excessive tire wear. Rears worn out at 10k miles! Weird thing is Winters had 5k since placed on, and don't look that bad. Just bought the Macsboost rear- kit to help with inside wear went putting new rears back on.
-HVAC, 5 seater doesn't have, so luckily, this isn't a problem for me.
-Poor build quality. This ModelX and the used 2020 we bought back in 2021 have had spent more time in the Service center and had THOUSANDS in parts put on by Tesla(axels aren't cheap). Add up ALL warrantee work on all our other cars for the last 20 years, and the Tesla had had way more $$$$ put into it. Going to be REALLY hard to own a Tesla MX out of warrantee.

Would think a genius with lots of money and more experience manufacturing than anyone else on Earth could have single handedly fixed these problems during the refresh. Nope, we got a yoke instead.

Shutter - MOST disappointing thing about 'refresh', still does it, after 6 years they couldn't be bothered to fix it. Just had both shafts replaced on our 2021 Long Range refresh at 15K miles.
Excessive tire wear. Rears worn out at 10k miles! Weird thing is Winters had 5k since placed on, and don't look that bad. Just bought the Macsboost rear- kit to help with inside wear went putting new rears back on.
-HVAC, 5 seater doesn't have, so luckily, this isn't a problem for me.
-Poor build quality. This ModelX and the used 2020 we bought back in 2021 have had spent more time in the Service center and had THOUSANDS in parts put on by Tesla(axels aren't cheap). Add up ALL warrantee work on all our other cars for the last 20 years, and the Tesla had had way more $$$$ put into it. Going to be REALLY hard to own a Tesla MX out of warrantee.

Would think a genius with lots of money and more experience manufacturing than anyone else on Earth could have single handedly fixed these problems during the refresh. Nope, we got a yoke instead.
"-HVAC, 5 seater doesn't have, so luckily, this isn't a problem for me." - what do u mean, what is the problem? in the 7 seater it has a bigger air conditioner system, hasn't it?

"-HVAC, 5 seater doesn't have, so luckily, this isn't a problem for me." - what do u mean, what is the problem? in the 7 seater it has a bigger air conditioner system, hasn't it?
Following what @FirstInTown mentioned - the HVAC conduits may also not be optimized to deliver airflow to the back vents. (In this case I mean the vents designed to deliver air to the 3rd row NOT the 'auto vents' which distribute air above the rear LCD screen for the second row.)

There was another thread on this IIRC but forgot to note it.

It tends to boggle my mind slightly why you would want a performance family car.

If you want performance, the Model X certainly isn't the place to go.
Right?! There's no way anyone is buying performance SUVs these days! No reputable manufacturer would build them, since they wouldn't sell! 🤣🤣

Let me tell you why I bought one. I had a 2015 Model S 85 and had my heart set on upgrading to a used MS Plaid, but now that we have a kid and may have another in the future, I compromised with a MX Raven Performance (I didn't want to spend another $20K+ for an MX Plaid, as I was already stretching the budget).

Best of both worlds. 0-60 in 2.6s with the entire family, grandparents, and the dog!! lol.. in all seriousness, the ingress/egress is so much easier for everyone, and when I'm driving solo I can have a little fun.

I don't know what your definition of performance is, but an SUV that can sit up to 7 people and run the 1/4 mi in under 10 seconds (in the Plaid) is seriously mind boggling. If handling is your definition of performance, then sure, the MX isn't the best. But even the MS Plaid isn't a great handling car by comparison. Teslas are more about straight line speed.

Incorrect. The 6 & 7 seaters have separate rear AC. Although I'm not entirely sure if it's just a larger compressor and separate fans, or 2 separate compressors and fans. I believe its just a single larger one from reading other posts
EPC says 3 row cars get one compressor (different part number from the 5-seater) and two condenser/blower/heater assemblies. The second unit on the pre-refresh cars is located in the right rear corner with ductwork carrying air forward to the B and C pillar ducts, it's sortof a wild arrangement when you look how everything is connected on EPC

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lectric_Agent
Right?! There's no way anyone is buying performance SUVs these days! No reputable manufacturer would build them, since they wouldn't sell! 🤣🤣

Let me tell you why I bought one. I had a 2015 Model S 85 and had my heart set on upgrading to a used MS Plaid, but now that we have a kid and may have another in the future, I compromised with a MX Raven Performance (I didn't want to spend another $20K+ for an MX Plaid, as I was already stretching the budget).

Best of both worlds. 0-60 in 2.6s with the entire family, grandparents, and the dog!! lol.. in all seriousness, the ingress/egress is so much easier for everyone, and when I'm driving solo I can have a little fun.

I don't know what your definition of performance is, but an SUV that can sit up to 7 people and run the 1/4 mi in under 10 seconds (in the Plaid) is seriously mind boggling. If handling is your definition of performance, then sure, the MX isn't the best. But even the MS Plaid isn't a great handling car by comparison. Teslas are more about straight line speed.
Exactly this.

Reactions: Lectric_Agent