Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Location Aware Trunk Height?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Model Y has no overhead sensor - so it opens the tailgate into our garage door, if the garage door is 'up'.

Location based height opening - with actual UI on the dash would be very cool, and I think easy enough to program on existing hardware.

Would like this on my X as well.

• Disagree
Reactions: sfRonH and Kairide
Setting the power liftgate height on the MY is a similar process to other cars I have tried this with feature - hold at the position desired and press the button until it beeps. That leads me to assume that the liftgate height is stored in the motor module for the liftgate, rather than the MCU. If that is true, then I don't see how the MCU could control the height of the trunk with just some lines of code - it might take additional wiring and/or a different liftgate mechanism. But others on here may know if the MCU stores the height setting.

If it were possible, I would love this if they could update existing cars with this enhancement or even equip future cars for this functionality. Would be ideal if it integrated with map data to determine if you are in a parking deck location with the option of limiting the height based on location.

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
Sorry... thought he meant automatic lift gates. Though I KNOW there are some automatic ones that sense height obstructions as well. I'll research it and list them.
But I guess I'd be happy with an automatic lift gate, period. My Y is my work truck. I'm constantly walking up to it with my hands full of tools and my laser level. In the rain. Putting either down to open the hatch is a bitch

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
Interesting. So I'm not the only one using it as a $50,000 work truck

Attachments

• 20230422_153030.jpg
    20230422_153030.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 112