Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaner Car Prius

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are just doing in town driving you can actually be in EV mode quite often. Drove 10 miles today and was in EV for 67% of the trip, for an average of 70mpg.

It takes a little finesse and you have to learn how to "trick" the car into driving in EV mode, but it can be done! If you care to learn, research "Pulse and Glide" driving (basically get up to speed and then let go of the pedal and then only press it up until you get to the line that splits the power meter in half), make use of the regen braking... and accelerate BRUTALLY slowly whenever you can.

(edit - I know the point of your post wasn't you getting a hybrid instead of an electric, but this might take the sting out a little bit, and even turns it into a fun little game if you can get your average way up)

Last edited:
Pruis is one of the most common cars owned by Tesla buyers prior to getting the tesla. Most wld prefer it to the avg enterprise rental offering.

This was true for me (2005 Prius, 206K miles and a few days short of 10 years old when I replaced it with a Model S). IMHO all the energy management awareness learned from the Prius makes me a more efficient Tesla driver.

And in that situation, a Prius loaner would be fine by me. Better than some gas-guzzler. To each his or her own, I guess!

Well this was enterprise rental. Not so bad for 1 day but really driving that car every day I'd easily grow a pair of moobs.

Local showroom did an Enterprise rental for my trip to the SC for my new delivery. A Cadillac CTS. Awful, just awful! PoC... To top that off, it did not have enough gas in it to make over to the SC. So I had to pump some gas just to get there! A fitting end to an era <sigh> LOL.

Dropped off my brand new model S for various issues.
They gave me a prius as a loaner.
Guess that answers my question as to which loaner you got in your other thread since you were under the impression you were going to get a Tesla loaner. They offered me 3 cars in Rocklin. Prius, Chrysler 200 and Dodge Challenger. I went the extreme opposite route and chose the latter.

Yeah they initially said that would give me a Tesla loaner but with December being a high purchase time many of their inventory tesla cars were bought which they use for loaners.

Im not an electric coffin kind of guy. The Prius was hard to drive.
Next time I'll know better.

Tell me about I had a 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium it wasn't a bad car just the fact that I had to put gas in it. It did have all the bells and whistles though like the auto-parking it surprisingly worked better on the fusion than on my Model S. Along with the beautiful red leather seats.