Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Load shed for 60A chargers on small panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use the SAK-60 from PSP to load shed my 60A circuits so that they don't run on the generator. Standard load shed modules from Kohler (what I have) or Generac only handly 50A.

Anyway, I was placing a new order and noticed they have a new product called the SAK-60MS. It's very similar to the SAK-60 but instead of detecting a generator waveform, it uses CTs installed on your main panel (or subpanel) to disable the load if your panel is crossing a certain threshold.

So that's pretty cool and I think would help out the EV community that is looking for a way to add a large circuit to charge cars, but would otherwise fail a load calculation on their panel which may be smaller (e.g., 100A). If you have an all electric home this could even impact you on a 200A panel.

You can read up on it here: Wireless load dropping and load management for electric vehicles. Not sure where this can be ordered right now or even if it is out already, but I have ordered the standard SAK-60 from Kodiak Power Solutions (talk to Michael) and I'm sure he can get them if they are available. Their page is: Kodiak Power Solutions

HTH someone!

I use the SAK-60 from PSP to load shed my 60A circuits so that they don't run on the generator. Standard load shed modules from Kohler (what I have) or Generac only handly 50A.

Anyway, I was placing a new order and noticed they have a new product called the SAK-60MS. It's very similar to the SAK-60 but instead of detecting a generator waveform, it uses CTs installed on your main panel (or subpanel) to disable the load if your panel is crossing a certain threshold.

So that's pretty cool and I think would help out the EV community that is looking for a way to add a large circuit to charge cars, but would otherwise fail a load calculation on their panel which may be smaller (e.g., 100A). If you have an all electric home this could even impact you on a 200A panel.

You can read up on it here: Wireless load dropping and load management for electric vehicles. Not sure where this can be ordered right now or even if it is out already, but I have ordered the standard SAK-60 from Kodiak Power Solutions (talk to Michael) and I'm sure he can get them if they are available. Their page is: Kodiak Power Solutions

HTH someone!
The standard sak-60 is $240 online, so this EV version probably isn’t that much more. Neat product.

HTH someone!
Did you pick up the SAK-60MS?

My electrician friend recommended it for me as well.

Did you pick up the SAK-60MS?

My electrician friend recommended it for me as well.
I'm using the standard SAK-60 modules to shed on generator only, I don't have the SAK-60MS.

That said the SAK-60 has performed great for me and these units are very similar. PSP did just recently raise prices, but I recommend calling Michael there and they may even be able to do a discount (mention Robert from Atlanta).

Reactions: PNWskye