Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limit charging speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is there a way to limit the charging speed ?

i visit a hospital for work and I can be there for most of the day but the site has limited parking but load of electric spaces, in the uk when parked in a electric charge bay you need to be charging for the duration of the stay, the chargers are 7kw, I was wondering if I can force the car to charge at a lower rate I.e 1kw so that it doesn't cost me loads in kWh if That makes sense

• Disagree
Reactions: davewill
As you are talking about 7kW, I'm assuming that this is what's called Level 2 (L2) here in the USA. L2 is based upon using 240VAC, which is about what you should be using in the UK. If that's the case, you should be able to adjust the current (i.e., the number of Amps) that charging takes. Lowering the amperage of the change will increase the time required to reach whatever limit you have specified. The charging screen in your car (and in the app) will allow you to dial the amps down.

Use the car's screen next time. I believe that the app has been iffy when trying to adjust the charging current. Also note that the charging current may go back up and display the maximum amperage after you disconnect. My understanding is the car is supposed to can remember what current you have set according to the location you are at but like anything else that's GPS based, your mileage may vary (you may also need to set a setting to allow this).

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I understand the possibility of hogging a charging spot for the duration of the entire workday by lowering the charging current. However, the OP asked a question and I provided what I thought was an appropriate answer. It's up to the individual user if they want to be a pseudo ICEer. In the OP's case, they work at a hospital with limited parking. Imagine if that person was a surgeon or ICU nurse. Would you want that person to stop in the middle of an operation or leave a ward full of critical patients just because they had to move their car? My bet is that if you were under that person's care, or had a loved one in that position, you'd want the OP's undivided attention.

On the other hand, if the OP is merely a pharmaceutical company representative, pushing the latest drug(s) upon the staff at the hospital, then they should charge fast and move their vehicle.

I understand the possibility of hogging a charging spot for the duration of the entire workday by lowering the charging current. However, the OP asked a question and I provided what I thought was an appropriate answer. It's up to the individual user if they want to be a pseudo ICEer. In the OP's case, they work at a hospital with limited parking. Imagine if that person was a surgeon or ICU nurse. Would you want that person to stop in the middle of an operation or leave a ward full of critical patients just because they had to move their car? My bet is that if you were under that person's care, or had a loved one in that position, you'd want the OP's undivided attention.

On the other hand, if the OP is merely a pharmaceutical company representative, pushing the latest drug(s) upon the staff at the hospital, then they should charge fast and move their vehicle.
I'd assume the hospital had thought of those things before setting the parking rules. If they wanted certain people to be able to park in a charging spot all day, they'd have provided spaces for them to do so.

Reactions: nicksp