Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License Plate Placement with the ACC Sensor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I don't have the ACC sensor. Given that I bought "The Law" and have had it sitting around and now that I'm going to be swapping to a car with ACC sensors I was curious to know for sure if it would work well with an offset placement. I can say that it does. Took some pictures with an old vanity front plate that I had from when I lived in Kansas.

IMG_20141024_154425.jpg
IMG_20141024_154440.jpg

I gave the parking sensors that I have some testing and they aren't impacting by the plate placement at all.

I simply stuck my front plate on the nose cone with three small pieces of 3M automotive double stick tape (the red backing kind). Same stuff that holds the emblems and the rear spoiler on the car.

Been fine for nearly two years. Ain't coming off unless I want it off, which is pretty easy to do. No drilling, no holes, no brackets. Super simple. Took less than 5 minutes. Highly recommended.

I'll be doing the same when I get my P85D.

I'm thinking about following your lead, and doing the same when my P85D arrives, as I don't like the idea of the nosecone being drilled, and I'm not thrilled about the look of an off-center license plate placement.

Just to be clear, you're talking about this stuff, right?

Automotive Tape 3M Acrylic Plus Double Sided Attachment Tape OEM 3M part # 3M 06384 (Listed by Mystarsound.com): Auto Double Sided Tape: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific

Can you please explain what the procedure would be for getting the plate and the tape off if, in fact, you did want it off, and how that would be done without doing damage to the nosecone?

I'm also probably going to be using a license plate style toll transponder. I'm guessing I'd wind up having to tape that to the license plate. I wouldn't worry about using too much tape there, though, as I wouldn't have to worry about damaging either the plate or the transponder if I ever needed to get them apart. I am, though, worried about damage to the nosecone, which is why I asked about what you said about getting it off easily.

Also do you think the added weight of the transponder would make the plate attachment less secure? I'm guessing I could just use a little more tape than you did to compensate for the additional weight, so I wouldn't think it would be a problem, but I'd also hate to have my plate and transponder fall off my car somewhere!

Thanks!

I'm thinking about following your lead, and doing the same when my P85D arrives, as I don't like the idea of the nosecone being drilled, and I'm not thrilled about the look of an off-center license plate placement.

Just to be clear, you're talking about this stuff, right?

Automotive Tape 3M Acrylic Plus Double Sided Attachment Tape OEM 3M part # 3M 06384 (Listed by Mystarsound.com): Auto Double Sided Tape: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific

Can you please explain what the procedure would be for getting the plate and the tape off if, in fact, you did want it off, and how that would be done without doing damage to the nosecone?

I'm also probably going to be using a license plate style toll transponder. I'm guessing I'd wind up having to tape that to the license plate. I wouldn't worry about using too much tape there, though, as I wouldn't have to worry about damaging either the plate or the transponder if I ever needed to get them apart. I am, though, worried about damage to the nosecone, which is why I asked about what you said about getting it off easily.

Also do you think the added weight of the transponder would make the plate attachment less secure? I'm guessing I could just use a little more tape than you did to compensate for the additional weight, so I wouldn't think it would be a problem, but I'd also hate to have my plate and transponder fall off my car somewhere!

Thanks!

I think that's the same, though this other one is the exact tape I bought locally at an autoparts store and is a bit cheaper:
Amazon.com: 3M 03614 Scotch-Mount 1/2 Molding Tape: Automotive

The tape is foam in the center with adhesive on both sides. You remove it by sawing through the foam with dental floss, then rolling the residual adhesive off the car. It'll come right off and not harm the nosecone or even paint or clear coat.

Not sure about the transponder. Depends on how heavy it is. The tape is super strong. It's the same stuff that holds on the carbon fiber spoiler, so with enough I would think you could mount anything.

Thanks for the tip on the tape. I'll be using it for my fastrak in the nosecone. I used "The Law" off center like breser did and i've gotten used to it. It does not affect the parking sensor, and leaves plenty of room for the radar, should Tesla decide to activate it. Put a little felt on the top of the plate so as not to scratch the nosecone in the event of high winds or debris.

how about hooks and cups?

I used both J hooks and suction cups to place the plastic plate holder above the ACC sensor. the hook and suck method. the plate holder has a bit of gap from the nose cone, but it's not noticeable and it's even all around.

the suction cups had a plastic J hook that I took off and then cut off to hold the suction cup in an enlarged hole in the plastic plate holder

the J hooks were done with a coupling nut and then stainless screws on the front of the plate. they seem to support the plate vertically. 2 stainless screws with lock nuts on the top of the plate match the other screws.

I keep checking to see if the suction cups have come loose yet. when they do, I'll use a bit of silicone or rubber cement, or double stick, to hold them in place.

so now my forward sensor is ready for use, my license plate is removable, and my nose cone isn't drilled.

p.s. I was supercharging in Vacaville, CA, and 5 of 7 MS's did not have plates on the front. the other one looked to have a "the law" type holder with the plate hanging below the nose cone.

Attachments

• front plate1.jpg
    front plate1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 755
  • front plate2.jpg
    front plate2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 749
  • front plate3.jpg
    front plate3.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 746
  • front plate4.jpg
    front plate4.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 734
  • front plate5.jpg
    front plate5.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 746
  • front plate6.jpg
    front plate6.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 747
How did you apply the plate with the double sided tape? I used 3 strips of tape about 3 inches long.They are in vertical strips, one in the middle and two on the outsides about an inch from the side of the plate. It is a curved surface (I tried to put it exactly where you did) and one side is pulling away.

I'm thinking about using the 3M tape to tape the plate to the plastic plate holder, and then tape the holder to the nose cone. I realize that the back of plastic holder isn't ideal for tape, but I figure to build up a few layers of tape to make a few "pads"… I don't feel like bending the plate or directly taping metal to the nose cone… either that, or maybe the suction cup / j-hook method.

I really like the magneplate idea too, but I'm supposed to take delivery on Monday and need a method now… ;).

EDIT: Hmm… then again, looking at the simplicity of just curving the plate and directly sticking… probably better aerodynamics and I'm a big fan of simplicity… I think it's time to order some tape… thanks for the idea. :)

Or… if I go for vanity plates, it takes like 4-6 weeks to get them, so by then new magneplate may be ready… we'll see.

Last edited:
Or… if I go for vanity plates, it takes like 4-6 weeks to get them, so by then new magneplate may be ready… we'll see.

I exchanged some e-mail with the Magneplate people in the past couple of days. If you don't need the version that can be popped on and off easily, it should definitely be available by the time you have the vanity plates, and would be easily updated to the "easy on/off" version. They said that first version should be out by fairly early in December.

Ah OK. I might have to remove and reapply it. Did you put the tape in the same positions I did?

I put three pieces, 1" in length, horizontally, one at the top of the center of the plate, the other two in the middle towards the edges of the plate, about 2" from the edge.

Be sure to clean all surfaces with isopropyl alcohol before applying the tape.

The curve in the plate is really slight and looks good, aerodynamic, streamlined. Goes well with the car.

Here are some shots looking straight down at the plate. You can see the tape.

IMG_20130304_210605.jpg

IMG_20130304_210543.jpg

Last edited:
Tape option looks good, much better than drilling holes. Any tips on bending the plate nicely to match the curve of the car? I don't want to put a crease in my plate by over doing it :)

I would just leave it bare, but I'm not a fan of giving police a free "pull me over" option. Same reason I immediately replace burned out headlights. Obviously you shouldn't be up to anything nefarious in the first place, but watch any episode of Cops on TV and like 90% of the roadside stops start with a missing light, missing plate, etc. and end with much bigger charges.

Lets say you had 1 glass of wine, get pulled over for missing plate, next thing you know the cop "smells alcohol". Or you're going 5-7mph over the limit which maybe they otherwise ignore, but that missing plate grabs their attention too... why give them an excuse?

Last edited:
Is your ""KEUKA LK" license plate a reference to the Keuka Lake in New York State?

Yes indeed - I grew up in Elmira but spent every childhood summer at our family's cottage on Keuka. Keuka water runs in my veins... The family now has three places on the lake but I only get back once or twice a year.

It's going to be an interesting trip from Richmond, VA to Penn Yan, NY in my Model S this summer...!

Yes indeed - I grew up in Elmira but spent every childhood summer at our family's cottage on Keuka. Keuka water runs in my veins... The family now has three places on the lake but I only get back once or twice a year.

It's going to be an interesting trip from Richmond, VA to Penn Yan, NY in my Model S this summer...!

Heh! Good luck with that trip! Perhaps there will be a super charger in Binghamton by then to make it a little easier!