Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to debug a faulty MCU1 that will not power on its screen.. I believe the emmc may be bad on the tegra chip (i have 3 separate chips and they're all doing the same thing ~0.9amps @ 12v, but not screen displaying). I'm attempting to use a HSD cable (this, specifically) to link between the IC Ethernet port and my diag cable, but am not able to ping.

I'm thinking the cable I purchased on Amazon may be incorrect, any help here would be great! Also, if any knows what the part number is for the actual cable in the car, I may just order it through tesla directly.

I tried posting earlier but included a link, and I think that may have flagged it for moderation, so I'll try again sans link.

I'm trying to debug a faulty MCU1 that will not power on its screen.. I believe the emmc may be bad on the tegra chip (i have 3 separate chips and they're all doing the same thing ~0.9amps @ 12v, but not screen displaying). I'm attempting to use a HSD cable from Amazon (supposedly works with tesla) to link between the IC Ethernet port and my diag cable, but am not able to ping.

I'm thinking the cable I purchased on Amazon may be incorrect, any help here would be great! Also, if any knows what the part number is for the actual cable in the car, I may just order it through tesla directly.

I tried posting earlier but included a link, and I think that may have flagged it for moderation, so I'll try again sans link.

I'm trying to debug a faulty MCU1 that will not power on its screen.. I believe the emmc may be bad on the tegra chip (i have 3 separate chips and they're all doing the same thing ~0.9amps @ 12v, but not screen displaying). I'm attempting to use a HSD cable from Amazon (supposedly works with tesla) to link between the IC Ethernet port and my diag cable, but am not able to ping.

Do you get a link light? Do you get anything with tcpdump?

I'd suggest using the link light as your "Step 1" before worrying about the display lighting up.

Could be:
  1. Bad Tegra board (more specifically the eMMC on the Tegra board)
  2. Insufficient/bad/dirty 12v power (quality power supply?)
  3. Incorrect/bad Fakra/HSD cable (has it ever worked?)
  4. Main board in the MCU
Probably in that order.
Yeah it was a bad tegra chip but I have one that works fine now. Still cannot connect via the Amazon hsd cable. The diag cable (hsd->eth) works fine as I’ve tested it in my own car.