Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jason Hughes on Twitter:

At 3AM I didn't expect "P100D" to be in a cracker's word list. lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if this is finally going to trigger being descended upon by a caravan of black Model X...

I'll bet there are a few people high up in Tesla who are chomping down hard on their tongues! Well done sir.

CcuHgnaVIAYYxXC.jpg

Is there an implication that you found a graphic? Or did you make this up yourself?

Is there an implication that you found a graphic? Or did you make this up yourself?

There have been references to the P100D in firmwares as early as 2 months ago. They finally added the badges to 2.13.77. I mucked it up a bit by adding a crappy background (it's a PNG with transparency in the firmware)... I'm no artist. lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll bet there are a few people high up in Tesla who are chomping down hard on their tongues! Well done sir.

Tesla's goal: Accelerate the advent of sustainable transport.

My goal: Accelerate the advent of the P100D.

:)

There have been references to the P100D in firmwares as early as 2 months ago. They finally added the badges to 2.13.77. I mucked it up a bit by adding a crappy background (it's a PNG with transparency in the firmware)... I'm no artist. lol.

Very cool! So... I wonder if this will be "one more thing" on the 31st. Are there any non-P 100D references as well? I'm really surprised that they don't do at least a little bit of encryption of the images and text in the firmware.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla's goal: Accelerate the advent of sustainable transport.

My goal: Accelerate the advent of the P100D.

:)

I will give some very serious consideration to doing a battery upgrade (or vehicle upgrade) if a 100 kwh (less whatever) battery becomes available. That would make me very very happy. :) :) :)

My brain does not understand how you managed to keep that to yourself :p

Yeah, I debated on it quite a bit. I figure if the badge is finally there, they must be close. I figured saying anything about it too early could potentially be an issue for them.

Very cool! So... I wonder if this will be "one more thing" on the 31st. Are there any non-P 100D references as well? I'm really surprised that they don't do at least a little bit of encryption of the images and text in the firmware.

There are quite a few things that are in the firmware that I'm not prepared to share publicly. Just like the P100D has been in there for months with my lips mostly sealed. I don't want to spoil all of Tesla's surprises. :)

They don't really have a need for encryption, nor would it help anyway. The car has to decrypt it somewhere at some point. Adding encryption to the images wouldn't even slow down someone like me in this case. Would definitely be a waste of their resources to do something like that when they can probably count on one hand the number of people who could access the firmware like I do outside of Tesla.

Yeah, I debated on it quite a bit. I figure if the badge is finally there, they must be close. I figured saying anything about it too early could potentially be an issue for them.

There are quite a few things that are in the firmware that I'm not prepared to share publicly. Just like the P100D has been in there for months with my lips mostly sealed. I don't want to spoil all of Tesla's surprises. :)

They don't really have a need for encryption, nor would it help anyway. The car has to decrypt it somewhere at some point. Adding encryption to the images wouldn't even slow down someone like me in this case. Would definitely be a waste of their resources to do something like that when they can probably count on one hand the number of people who could access the firmware like I do outside of Tesla.

Hmmm... if I were in your shoes, I just might be tempted to let it slip that my tongue (or keyboard as it were) would probably fall silent if, say, my battery were to miraculously come out from service with an extra 15kw capacity and an upgraded breaker. :)

If they don't want to Osborne themselves too much, they will have to up the S somehow.

You mean relative to the 3? I wouldn't worry too much about people holding out until 2018. If it were within 12 months, I could see some folks holding out for a 3 over a 70/70D or a CPO.

But I do agree that they'll have to amp up the S before the 3 actually hits the market so as to create room below for a well optioned 3.

- - - Updated - - -

There's also a power limit. Raise the latter and you can follow the traction limit up to a higher speed, and maintain more acceleration beyond it.

I don't know if the new pack will necessarily have a higher current limit or lower voltage sag, but I guess it's possible.

I'd really be surprised by a higher current limit. I suspect that the motors themselves can't take much more. Of course.... a revised current limit is the sortof thing that would be programmed into the inverter firmware. Hmmm... I wonder if there's somebody around that might have the some salvage hardware & the skills required to poke into the inverter firmware and see if the current limit has changed. Hint hint! :)

If they don't want to Osborne themselves too much, they will have to up the S somehow.

You mean relative to the 3? I wouldn't worry too much about people holding out until 2018. If it were within 12 months, I could see some folks holding out for a 3 over a 70/70D or a CPO.

But I do agree that they'll have to amp up the S before the 3 actually hits the market so as to create room below for a well optioned 3.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd really be surprised by a higher current limit. I suspect that the motors themselves can't take much more. Of course.... a revised current limit is the sortof thing that would be programmed into the inverter firmware. Hmmm... I wonder if there's somebody around that might have the some salvage hardware & the skills required to poke into the inverter firmware and see if the current limit has changed. Hint hint! :)

Not sure why people keep saying this, the 3 is a smaller car with a different target market. They will still sell just as many Model S even with the release of the Model 3. This notion that the EV car market is limited to a certain number of EVs ignores the fact that these cars are legitimately better than their counterparts in so many ways. It will be an entry Luxury car, so expect similar feature sets as what you see in the BMW 3 series. Does BMW worry about 3 sales stealing from their 7 series or even their 5 series? I highly doubt it...

Not sure why people keep saying this, the 3 is a smaller car with a different target market. They will still sell just as many Model S even with the release of the Model 3. This notion that the EV car market is limited to a certain number of EVs ignores the fact that these cars are legitimately better than their counterparts in so many ways. It will be an entry Luxury car, so expect similar feature sets as what you see in the BMW 3 series. Does BMW worry about 3 sales stealing from their 7 series or even their 5 series? I highly doubt it...
I think they will actually sell more of Model S during the "waiting for Model 3" period for two reasons: (1) Tesla will be getting more eyeballs generally and (2) production continues to ramp up to try to meet demand.

That said, I do think a number of Model S buyers would have been and will be Model 3 buyers because of the desire for a smaller (and/or less expensive) car. So in a sense there is "cannibalization" of Model S by Model 3, but I suspect the demand for Model S is high enough (relative to production) that the cannibalization is statistically irrelevant for Model S sales numbers for at least the next 5 years.