Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let me describe our delivery . . . seems common these days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in other words, car dealers aren't so bad after all? LOL

Nope, dealers are still pretty bad.

Like the OP I had a rather ho-hum delivery experience with zero swag offered. Unlike the OP I was a bit more passionate about the car, and how it fit what I wanted. Now I would have been pretty livid if a mechanic made a mess of my car so luckily that didn't happen. But, there were a few things like a roof liner rattle I thought they should have caught. I was also less than happy that the DS did the whole disappearing act a couple weeks before delivery.

So all in all a mixed experience.

But, what makes the Tesla easier?

The no haggle pricing. Just the other day I had to cancel an order for a Winnebago Revel because the sales person refused to adjust the pricing to be fair to what the SAME dealer offered other people. So I had to place another order with correct pricing (a savings of $5K), and that meant going to the back of the line. For me $5K is a lot of money, and just as bad is knowing I would be the village idiot that paid too much.

Now you could say it was my fault for failing to do research, but it was really early and it was my first class B RV. How was I supposed to know where the floor on the pricing was? I learned that through the usergroup.

I absolutely loathe the whole haggling of price thing.

Before the Tesla I bought a Jeep and the buying experience was so horrible that the very thought of returning to the place for service made me dreadful. I've gotten it serviced there exactly ONE time, and they didn't do what I asked. I wanted them to program the VIN on the nav so I could install a navigation update. They came back and said it was already there, but they only checked the radio. As an aside I didn't even know they were separate as its the same head unit).

With Tesla I think people are expecting a delivery experience along the lines of an expensive Porsche. But, even when I bought a Porsche it wasn't that spectacular. There was a few broken ribs in the roof liner, and I swear it took every bit of my self control not to launch it off a cliff. But, once they fixed that the car was great.

In terms of service there is no question that Tesla ranks higher than any dealer I've been to. There more willing to come out to fix something (like when the center console squeaked) or to do a recall check (the seatbelt) while I was at a supercharger. I also hate driving loaners, but I have no issues with the same car loaner that Tesla has (with the exception of when they don't have one).

Like the OP I do strongly believe that they have to improve the fit/finish. But, unlike the OP I've had my car for about 2.5 years and over 30K miles. Where I have that "we've been through stuff" thing with my car, and I like it. It's been a good car that's gotten me through some bad situations. It's saved my bacon once or twice, and I saved it's bacon once (I got in between the car and someone who was getting way to close to it at a scenic stop on the cali coast). It's only tried to kill me twice, and that's probably way fewer than a human would after 2.5 years and >30K miles with me. I've scratched it a couple times because of stupidity (like pushing the wrong button so the trunk opened with the garage closed), and an interior scratch because I failed to protect it when putting a sit/stand desk inside it.

Great looking car, I like the color combo. Good luck with it, hope you have a trouble free ownership experience from here on.

One interesting thing I noted during purchase and delivery is that the OA and DS teams are very young (mid 20s - early 30s) and have no car sales or service experience where I bought my 2 cars. The service team all have many years experience including auto service background and have worked for Tesla 5+ years. The experience is very backloaded; sales made many errors in the information when I was buying both cars and my delivery was OK, but a few minor issues with both cars including when I picked up my Model X there was a loose screw rattling around in the drivers door that I had to immediately return to the SC to get removed.

I had a very similar experience the sales team was/is terrible, got the wrong vin, the wrong financing terms, never followed up like they promised too. Would often tell me they will get back to me with an answer. On delivery I had a broken b pillar and condensation on my tail lights the sales team took pics that night and have asked me to send pics of the 2 issues twice already not to mention that they told me they would get the service center to call me which they have still not done.

Also never sent me a copy of the paper work like i have asked for/the promised too on 2 or 3 occasions now. The list of their screw ups could go on forever

Maybe it's the holidays or Tesla just pushing their sales/delivery staff to the brink when to comes to selling and delivery.

I picked up an inventory car last night, my second Tesla, a 100D with msrp of $111k discounted to $95k. And guess what, 12 hrs later it's in the service department with 3 issues and worst being unable to charge with regular cable (72A and supercharger just fine).

Kind of annoying because it felt like I wrote a $7500 check, signed to transfer vehicle possession, helped do quality control, and then helped them move it to the service center, and no Tesla to drive over the holidays. But.. It is what it is, a inventory car, plus I can't really argue with the $1k/mo lease payment. #FirstWorldProblems

sub said:
Don't they know who you are? How dare they.

Personally I can do without the fake ass kissing no mater where I encounter it. You do get that either way they don't really care about you right? Neither does any other car dealer or business other than they would prefer you return.

I pick up our new model X Saturday, I really hope they just hand me the keys and let me roll. They can spend the time they save kissing some other self important persons ass, I don't mind.

Hmmmm, that's a rather odd view. I have always enjoyed the excitement and appreciation shown by the salesperson when I take delivery of a new car. I don't see it as "ass kissing," but rather a genuine expression of thanks for my business. I would think most salespeople are happy to have ANY sale, since they're likely on commission. I would never see a salesperson's exuberance as "ass kissing," but rather as a normal and sincere reaction to a customer's excitement when getting their new car.

I was stunned at the lack of effort to upsell the extended warranty or anything else
Not sure you really want that...

I've bought and leased numerous new cars myself and helped a friend car shop for her first new car. HOLY CRAP at that dealer (Piercey Toyota).

My friend had never bought a new car before and I didn't realize she was going to buy that day so I had no chance to privately prep her into saying no to most things F&I would offer or at least discussing what they'd typically offer. This particular F&I person was the highest pressure, pushiest I've ever encountered, trying to use all sorts of psychological tricks to get her to buy an extended warranty and other stuff (e.g. maintenance packages, alarm, LoJack, etc.)

None of my own experiences nor that of others I sat in on were anywhere near the pressure level.

Congrats on yr model S.
My 2 New Model S deliveries mirror yours,
With 1 big exception my cars didn't shine like yours.
1st time int clean, 2nd not.

No goody bags on either S,
1st S quality control was lacking, Had many minor issues
that Tesla did address later, Car looked like it just came from wash rack,
Dripping water, windows dirty, etc, Panels misalign, etc,
I was disappointed after watching numerous MS deliveries on youtube.

Advance ahead to my 2nd S delivery, Ext and Int car horrible, So much for delivering a
shiny clean new car, At least my fog lights, ambient lightning worked.
Was disappointed in recieving my new 100D. None of the bows, cards, goody bags. When I showed up
3 other S's were crowded in the Delivery room, Started looking at 1st silver S, Wrong car, Finally someone
showed up, Asked what I was doing, Said trying to pick up my new Model S, Said where's the welcoming card, bow,
goody bag? Already knew the answer> . But sounded surprise by lack of prepareness by Tesla for my delivery,
After making sure vin matched. No dents, paint problems, alignment, lights worked, correct battery size,
no flat tires, Did tell them to at least clean the tar/rubber behind each wheel. Had them wash the interior windows
including the sunroof, The air suspension and sun roof worked,
Battery was charged to 90 percent, But when I got home, Charge door would not close (fixed on ranger visit). Later wonder why the Tesla employee didn't mention or have the charge door repaired? Disappointed. Complained both times about SC.
Sent emails yet still subpar.
Because I been through it before, I already had visit planned for complete detailing inside and out,
Guess Tesla gearing up for mass Model 3. Days of feeling special are over.

Wonder if it's only the SC I go through, I was on the road quickly with my 2nd S, already knew how to operate the controls,
Set up phone, I had to remind the Tesla employee for copy of my paperwork. Asked where my
24 pass was? No bow, no welcoming card, no umbrella on either Model S, 1st time shocked,
2nd time disappointed, Had couple of minor issues that I discovered when I got home,
SC did not answer phone calls, Finally email SC employee I knew from previous visits, She
set up ranger visit, Ranger was 100 percent better than SC.
Had car detail on my own, Crystilline tinting, Xpel clear bra, opti coat pro plus interior and exterior,
After market wheels and tires and Rear spoiler,

Car now shines,
Car is great, Tesla delivery sucks,

Only posts I see dripping with arrogance seem to have "sub" next to them. Just sayin.... (you even leave the "h" out from "imho", LOL)

One of my favorite parts of this forum is all the non-owners commenting about the ownership experience.

Good luck with your delivery.

You know what they say about opinions. Some of us live in the real world, and the attitude difference has nothing to do with being an owner or non owner of anything.

My delivery went fine, DS were nice but unlikely others here I don't believe I'm special.

When I said "they don't care", this is a response to another poster, I didn't imply that they would be ride or unfriendly. In the end it's business and we are all just numbers. That doesn't mean they won't back up their product, it means they couldn't care less about you personally, like any other business.

I know that is hard for those of you here who are "special" but it's the reality. Accept it or spend your life bitching about it, but don't expect to be posting on the net about it and not get differing opinions. Enjoy your misery.

Edit - since first responding to the OP in this thread I've seen numerous other posts. Couldn't have called it more correctly.

• Disagree
Reactions: TaoJones and mobe
I picked up my Black 2017 model 100D from St louis last week. All in all a positive experience. I flew into St Louis at 8:30 the store opened at 10. I texted my DS and he had his manager pick me up right away...an hour before the store opened.

The only issue I had was I asked that the car be fully charged and it was not. I still had plenty of range to get home (gotta love the 100D)
I have received two follow up calls from the DS asking if everything is ok.

On a side not I am supposed to have free supercharging yet when I click on the manage part of my Tesla site it says I have 331 kWh credit remaining. I have been assured they are looking into this.

St. Louis is rock solid - arguably the best SvC on the continent. They will take care of you.

Reactions: mobe
With regard to the ESA (often refers to as the extended warranty), for those unaware do note that terms have changed over time.

Now, the owner of a new vehicle has 6 months to buy one of the 2 available ESAs, else the price goes up for purchase through the 50,000 mile threshold (with a couple of additional details but that’s the gist).

Don't they know who you are? How dare they.

Personally I can do without the fake ass kissing no mater where I encounter it. You do get that either way they don't really care about you right? Neither does any other car dealer or business other than they would prefer you return.

I pick up our new model X Saturday, I really hope they just hand me the keys and let me roll. They can spend the time they save kissing some other self important persons ass, I don't mind.

Although I hit "Like" on this post, I thought it deserved a separate +1

• Disagree
Reactions: mobe
I Read the post and responded accordingly. It was dripping of ego and arrogance imo. I've been here a while and don't worry, if I have any issues with my delivery or model X I know exactly where I can come to let everyone know that the world is ending.
Dude there's a difference between ass-kissing (which I agree is obnoxious) and making your "perfect day" go well.
I was easily as excited the day I got my Model S as I was the day I got married (shhh!), and I can understand the OP's feelings about not having their excitement reciprocated by the DS.

Dude there's a difference between ass-kissing (which I agree is obnoxious) and making your "perfect day" go well.
I was easily as excited the day I got my Model S as I was the day I got married (shhh!), and I can understand the OP's feelings about not having their excitement reciprocated by the DS.

Different strokes for sure. I was probably asked if I was excited 5-10x at the delivery. It's all relative, of course I was, I have wanted a Tesla for 5 years but I don't make emotional purchases. I waited until it was comfortable financially. I'm not one to show emotion good or bad, probably why they kept asking lol. I was more interested in checking out the model 3 next to our X.

Look at the OP's original post and ask yourself why he had to let us all know he paid cash? That was irrelevant to his rant but he included that tidbit for his ego. I see through these types.

One issue I have is that some people imply or claim that Tesla is INTENTIONALLY trying to make them unhappy. I live in the real world and as I've said before, impossible for a fast growing company doing what Tesla is doing to make no mistakes and have every employee perform flawlessly. Ridiculous. Maybe they are incapable of seeing the big picture hiding behind their massive ego.

The OP wanted the DS to fawn all over his greatness and his ability to buy the car. I compare this to those that think graduating college is a huge achievement, but they only see it that way because they are not all that smart and it was a struggle. IMO any stooge can get a degree and anyone with financial sense can afford a Tesla at some point. Apparently the OP is impressed by himself. See above.

• Disagree
I think its funny - never met our DS. Ever. Never heard from him again once he told us how much to bring. . . .

Salesman is also MIA = never heard from him again either except to tell me that he's transferred our request for an overnight test drive to a different sales center two months ago -

Wow @sub really? It was part of the descriptive process. The amount of time spent - gosh - you folks really can't just take anything at face value- and have to insult everyone?

Since you cannot read simple words - its not MY car. I don't really CARE one way or the other.

I truly don't - I have not even driven it yet. Its not my car.

Got a CPO S last month. I picked it up at the delivery center in Fremont and thought the customer service was excellent. I don't care about not getting swag but appreciated my DS being thorough on showing me how the car worked. Both the OA and DS followed up after the sale. Frankly it was the best customer service I have received in a while. The baristas were cool too.

Reactions: sub
First- its not my car - my bride has wanted a Tesla since 2012.

Since you cannot read simple words - its not MY car. I don't really CARE one way or the other.

I think people hear and understand you.

Let me put it this way: For me, if my bride's car had issues it would be worse to me than if my own car had issues.

Reactions: NewTMSMan
Wow @sub really? It was part of the descriptive process. The amount of time spent - gosh - you folks really can't just take anything at face value- and have to insult everyone?

I truly don't - I have not even driven it yet. Its not my car.

So let me get this straight, you make multiple posts criticizing Tesla then when called out on it you exclaim "it's not my car, I don't care!"? Why you here then? Apparently you do. From seeing other posts of yours it seems you now have a personal vendetta against Tesla, which you're perfectly entitled to. However, everyone else hereis also entitled to call you out on anything you post. If you don't like it, I know of a simple solution.

Secondly, you now want to flip the script and act like your being victimized or attacked (by me) for calling you out on attacking employees/Tesla in an open forum when they are not here to defend or explain their side of the situation and correct any errors they may have made?

Seems fair.

• Disagree
So let me get this straight, you make multiple posts criticizing Tesla then when called out on it you exclaim "it's not my car, I don't care!"? Why you here then? Apparently you do. From seeing other posts of yours it seems you now have a personal vendetta against Tesla, which you're perfectly entitled to. However, everyone else hereis also entitled to call you out on anything you post. If you don't like it, I know of a simple solution.

Secondly, you now want to flip the script and act like your being victimized or attacked (by me) for calling you out on attacking employees/Tesla in an open forum when they are not here to defend or explain their side of the situation and correct any errors they may have made?

Seems fair.

Here’s a thought. Try being less of a supercilious twat.

Tesla employees will do just fine without your valiant efforts to defend their honor from the big bad criticism.

Don’t forget to police every comment section of a Marketwatch or Electrek article, and while you’re at it, might want to follow Elon’s twitter feed as well to root out any injustices there as well.

Oh, the horror.