Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Last Borg Warner Transmission now in route to Roadster # 1125

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
July 5 2016, Houston service center at 3750 Westchase, Roadster # 1125 comes in shop for minor repairs and complaint of noise coming from rear of Roadster.
This noise was not detected while sporting the Yokohama brand tires due to excessive tire noise, but when I switched to Michelin Pilot SS tires on the rear ( a much quieter tire), I began to hear a noise from the rear of the Roadster.
My concern was a motor bearing noise.
Not so.
Tesla engineers in Cali. requested sound files from the service center first, in an attempt to analyze the problem.
Next the Tesla engineers requested the motor be pulled and inspected for metal shavings.
Non found.
The engineers have determined that the Borg Warner transmission was the source of the noise and therefore Tesla is replacing it with the Last known transmission available ( in stock ) for the Tesla Roadster and known to Borg Warner.
At one point, it was in route, and then a week later its status was unknown to parts dept., there was a possibility it no longer existed.
July 28,2016, according to Tesla rep., Borg Warner would have to manufacture one.
Aug.1,2016, transmission has been found and is once again in route to Houston and #1125 for installation.
The Tesla reps in the Houston service center have bent over backwards to keep me informed and updated as events transpired.
This service center has a great team effort, from the service manger and techs, to the service reps. upfront.

• Informative
Reactions: tvuolo and dhrivnak
Wow, that's crazy. At least there's hope the BW could build more when the need arises, but I can't imagine the downtime that would involve for the car?

Is this delaying your move? Sorry this happened, what a shame, but at least you'll have a brand new transmission.

Its a common gearbox that's used in other E vehicles like the Coda and Ford (only difference between them really are the gear ratios). Its very simple, I see no need to build a whole brand new one and think that's ridiculous actually to think someone was going to spin up an assembly line to build one. Just find out what bearing or gear went bad and replace it. Most likely its a bearing on its way out if its making noise. I've seen the eGearDrive pop up on ebay and other sites, here's one that's brand new:

Borg Warner 31-03 eGearDrive 8.28, EV West - Electric Vehicle Parts, Components, EVSE Charging Stations, Electric Car Conversion Kits

Here's one split, honestly ther'es nothing to it:

BorgWarner shows latest EV transmission - SAE International

7953_8579.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Wow, that's crazy. At least there's hope the BW could build more when the need arises, but I can't imagine the downtime that would involve for the car?

Is this delaying your move? Sorry this happened, what a shame, but at least you'll have a brand new transmission.
No, were set to leave Texas on Aug. 24th, if appraisal on our home comes in at sale price.
I have had the use of a P90D Model S with the ludicrous mode since July 5th as a loaner car, we are getting spoiled, may not want the Roadster back.
If repaired in time , we will have the Roadster shipped to Colorado Springs, otherwise we will return the loaner car prior to leaving and Tesla will have it shipped for us from the service center when repairs are complete.

Last edited:
I know what happened to it when it went missing, he he. No it wasn't me. It went to someone who needed it quite urgently.
Thursday, August 5th, 2016 , Transmission update from Tesla service center in Houston.
Transmission has arrived in Houston service center, will begin install on Monday, August 8th.
LOL
Perfect timing.
We close on our new home in Colorado Springs on the 15th.
Roadster should ship approx. Aug. 22nd, we leave for Colorado Springs on Aug. 24th and will arrive two days ahead of the Roadsters arrival.

Last edited:
I was waiting for 3 months to get the "very latest motor available worldwide for 2.5 Roadsters". I also had many inconsistent updates on the delivery status: shipped, unknown, unavailable, taken from other customer, shipped, delivered.
At the end, it was installed in my car and removed again, as it was not the problem after all.
It seems like Tesla is running out of important spare parts..

I wonder... What will happen if a Roadster needs a part that Tesla is not be able to get anymore?

Will you end with an expensive paperclip ? Will you get any compensation in that case ?
Same thing as any other older car where parts aren't available anymore. You'll have to get your part fixed, find one from a wreck or get one custom made. Nothing special about a Tesla here.

Thursday, August 5th, 2016 , Transmission update from Tesla service center in Houston.
Transmission has arrived in Houston service center, will begin install on Monday, August 8th.
LOL
Perfect timing.
We close on our new home in Colorado Springs on the 15th.
Roadster should ship approx. Aug. 22nd, we leave for Colorado Springs on Aug. 24th and will arrive two days ahead of the Roadsters arrival.

Must they not hold part for at last 10 years?

I recall we discussed this a long while back and it was inconclusive if there is any such regulation. They needed parts while warranties were active, but I don't think there is a hard rule to keep parts stock on < 10 year old car models.
Besides, Tesla was struggling with cash problems while Roadster was being produced, so they might have opted to buy less spares than a more well established manufacturer might have otherwise wanted.

Regulations may vary from county to country, and state to state...

Are Auto Manufacturers required under US Federal Law to provide parts for a set period of time?
Auto manufacturers must make spare parts for 10 years - snopes.com
snopes.com: Making parts for 7 years
Are automakers required to maintain spare parts infrastructure for 15 years?

Same thing as any other older car where parts aren't available anymore. You'll have to get your part fixed, find one from a wreck or get one custom made. Nothing special about a Tesla here.

Hummm, nothing special about Tesla... not really IMHO.

We're talking about a +100 000 € car that was first released less than ten year ago and last one producted sometime in 2012 IIRC . It's not the same boat than a, for example, 1908 Ford-T. And I'm pretty sure you could easily find some Ford-T parts ;)

Sure Tesla had cash problem to struggle with, but as they admit the lack of spare pieces, they should then release all the technical books and whatever needed by 3rd party to create new parts. One one side they don't have critical parts anymore, and on the other side my service center didn't agree to mount Elise Red Brake Pad on my car because there are not Tesla part (although quoted as 100% compatible by the seller...)

Kind regards

Sure Tesla had cash problem to struggle with, but as they admit the lack of spare pieces, they should then release all the technical books and whatever needed by 3rd party to create new parts. One one side they don't have critical parts anymore, and on the other side my service center didn't agree to mount Elise Red Brake Pad on my car because there are not Tesla part (although quoted as 100% compatible by the seller...)

Yes, I agree. I wish they would release all the specs, and diagnostic tools so that 3rd parties can start to support them if they are going to stop doing so themselves.

Must they not hold part for at last 10 years?

Interestingly I just saw this Zero Chevrolet Volt Batteries Replaced So Far Due To "General Capacity Degradation"

“Despite the highly touted second-gen Chevy Volt going on sale last year, GM still has the capacity to build battery packs for the old, first-gen model. This is because the company is legally required to be able to provide replacement packs for warrantied vehicles (for up to 10 years)…”

There may be special warranties/requirements related to batteries in EVs and hybrids.
It may also only be a GM-only policy. GM said the same thing about a 10 year parts requirement for the EV1. I have since then been trying to find any sort of law (federal or state) to support this, but turned up empty.

California does have 10 year / 150,000 mile warranty requirement for PZEV batteries but this requirement does not cover EVs (which are zero emissions and doesn't fall under such emissions related warranty requirements).
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/warranty.pdf

That's why the 2013 Volt (which was certified as PZEV, the older version wasn't) has a 10 year battery warranty in California, while EVs (like the Leaf or Model S) don't.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rolf68