Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Large increase in AP phantom deceleration and incorrect lane selection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2023 MY LR (HW3) - I have had a very solid experience with AP (not FSD) since getting my MY last February. Very rarely did I have any phantom braking or deceleration. AP Lane keeping was always rocks solid. Now in the past few weeks after the last two updates my car is pretty frequently decelerating on the highway for no obvious reason. Not necessarily braking, but for example, going 70mph with no traffic if feels like I let off the throttle by 50%. I've also had several instances where it has tried to aggressively steer into turning lanes.

Anyone else notice a big change in AP performance after the last couple of updates?

I think things got worse overall with the move to Teslavision. Even before that my '19 M3 had phantom braking all the time, but most of the time it was related to some situation the car couldn't really understand (merging lanes, vehicles speed differences, etc.). At times the braking was aggressive and seemed to happen much more often when autosteer was engaged.

After Teslavision, the phantom braking got more frequent but luckily, less aggressive. My MYLR also has phantom braking and it's happened since we got it. I think Teslavision can be tricked easier than the old system using a combo of cameras, radar, and ultrasonic sensors. If there's a semi in the lane next to me and it drifts the least little bit my car will often think they're changing lanes into me and start braking when it's obvious to a human that that's not happening. Since it's only relying on the camera for input, there's no way for the system to correlate if in fact an incursion is imminent, so it just applies the brakes. They're still running down all the bugs in the system, and at the rate they're going, will be for the next several years.

Last edited:
Reactions: pipestem