Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane departure warning off: still warns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope I'm doing something wrong or missed a setting and someone can set me straight. I turned off both the lane departure correction and lane departure warning but the car still screams and displays "Take control immediately" when I cross a line. The warnings happened too often when making a left and you just barely clip the center line when making the turn (with turn signal on, not in AP) so at that point I turned it off. No one would go all the way up to avoid clipping the last 1 foot of that line and then make an abrupt left at this location. I turned off even the lane departure warning and it still goes crazy there. Today I was driving, again not in AP, and I had to swerve right toward the shoulder to avoid some dangerous debris (rocks) and as soon as my right tires hit the white line, another set of beeps and "Take control immediately" message.

What do I have to do to ACTUALLY turn that annoying crap off? Is it a bug that it's still on when you turn it off?

Thanks,
Mike

My car was very screamy for a while after I thought I had it all disabled. I don't think I've changed anything else but it's far less sensitive than it once was. I'm not sure if it's learning driving style or what's going on. The lane departure sensitivity still isn't great, though it is far less obnoxious.

It's pretty strange that it's triggering when you're actively turning the wheel, though. I thought part of its detection system was that there was no pressure on the wheel. It's also bizarre that it's doing any warning while you have the turn signal on. That should definitely disable the warning. Do you have it locked on, or just tapped for three blinks? I've lane departure warnings when I tapped the turn signal, waited too long, and then changed lanes.

Thanks for the reply. The turn signal is always locked on at that left turn as I engage it before or as I'm entering the left turn lane. There is typically a gap where I can roll the left turn without stopping (no stop sign there as it's a main road with a turn lane onto a side road). Every time when I just nip the edge of the yellow line to make the turn, the warning happens. It is very awkward to make the turn while avoiding the center line completely while at a roll but I've done it to see and it doesn't scream when I do that.

Since I have all lane departure options turned off including the warning, I can only surmise it is something else: some other safety feature and not a lane departure warning. I would be tempted to think it might be crash detection but there is nothing there to crash into (not even any other cars) nor was there anything to crash into when I just went over to the white line on the right today to avoid those rocks in the road. I thought turning off lane departure warning would stop it but clearly I'm missing something.

Mike

I've had something similar happen, and that warning is off for me too in the settings. I believe it happens more when I use AP or even TACC, or when I just very recently disengaged AP/TACC. There's a specific situation in which it happens, typically on secondary roads with a solid line and oncoming traffic.

I have three even more annoying situations:
  • When I go around a roundabout and cross the two tone concrete towards the center.
  • When going down my 400 meter driveway that is only 2.7 meters of asphalt, but has a great firm gravel shoulder and I drift a few cm off the asphalt.
  • When I drive down the taxiway from my hangar to the gate and cross the yellow taxiway center line.
Any suggestions?

In the past two weeks, I've started turning off AP much earlier before making the turn I mentioned in my OP. I've found that when I turn off AP more than about 10 seconds before making the turn, it no longer alarms when I start turning early and clip the lines. It does appear that mandatory lane departure warning is still in effect for some time after disengaging AP. Still doesn't make much sense to me because it was alarming while I had my turn signal on but as they say... it is what it is.

Mike

Yep, had this happen to me multiple times again on a long road trip. Using the blinker to deactivate autopilot so it lets me change lanes, the car beeps for the lane departure alert (if I cross another line) even though that setting is off in my settings. It's pretty clear now. I call this a bug.

2016 model X best car I've ever owned. 2022 model x worst car I've ever owned. So many bugs in the software, including this alarming and annoying Lane departure warning that is completely wrong. I have both cars and the difference between them is sad. The features on the 2016 are so much more reliable. The 2022 has better potential autopilot, but all the software bugs are so annoying. You can't rely on the automated features.

Thanks for the reply. The turn signal is always locked on at that left turn as I engage it before or as I'm entering the left turn lane. There is typically a gap where I can roll the left turn without stopping (no stop sign there as it's a main road with a turn lane onto a side road). Every time when I just nip the edge of the yellow line to make the turn, the warning happens. It is very awkward to make the turn while avoiding the center line completely while at a roll but I've done it to see and it doesn't scream when I do that.

Since I have all lane departure options turned off including the warning, I can only surmise it is something else: some other safety feature and not a lane departure warning. I would be tempted to think it might be crash detection but there is nothing there to crash into (not even any other cars) nor was there anything to crash into when I just went over to the white line on the right today to avoid those rocks in the road. I thought turning off lane departure warning would stop it but clearly I'm missing something.

Mike
I’ve had the same problem for months, usually with the turn signal fully locked, 3-4 lane empty highway, I’ll cross from right to far left and it will beep and jars the steering wheel all the way across. Also does it on exits when crossing from second to last lane to exit lane. Both LDA and Emergency LDA departure is off. The only thing I can surmise is that it wants you to tap the turn signal stalk for every single lane instead of full lock. Very annoying and the wife hates it. The only thing on is Blind Spot Collision Warning and Automatic Emergency Breaking. Won’t happen every time but it’s predictable enough that I can get it to happen if I want.

This happens to me a lot on the 2 lane highway that forms most of my daily commute.

Often a large truck / semi coming the other direction will be encroaching on the centerline, so I'll favour the right side of my lane, and this will trigger the lane departure warning - even with everything turned off.

However, I do think there's something to the theory it's related to AP / TACC. This usually happens when I'll be in AP, and as that truck approaches I'll just disable AP with a light jerk to the wheel, then move to the right. TACC stays on, AP is now disengaged. This is when it usually happens.

Maybe it's an intended feature in case the driver isn't aware they've disabled AP and begins to depart the lane?