Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lake Havasu Trip Best Practices for Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, hopefully I didn't miss this exact answer on the 20+ mentions of threads but please point me to it if I did.

Last I was at Lake Havasu for a few days coming from SoCal, we stopped at Barstow and ate at Chili's, then had dessert at DQ in Needles (was later told Yermo is a better charger with more slots) and then drove to the Hampton Inn there. It's about 44 miles each way from Needles to Havasu so never found a great option to charge quickly while I was there.

Looks like the best options I found so far are:
- The Heat Hotel has two Tesla chargers but only 25 rooms so they get booked up. They did say you can ask the Bar tender if they'll let you use the chargers while having a drink but if you need to totally recharge it's not a good option of course.
- The Hampton Inn let me use their wall to charge but at 4miles/hour not super effective
- I read about the Nissan dealer that let's you charge on their Level2 so that's an option but you have to stay there a few hours.
- Crazy horse campground let's you charge for $15/day
- Havasu State Park will let you charge too

Did I miss any that are L2 or L3?
Will the RV Parks like Islander let you plug into L3 using our adapters in if you have friends that live there?

Would like to find a way to do true destination charging so we're just ready to go in the morning or at least once we get off the water for the day.
Thanks!

I'm afraid I don't have a recommendation for Lake Havasu City itself, as it's been a long time since I've visited. The closest I usually get is Needles. I don't see any Lake Havasu sites listed on Plugshare other than the ones you've mentioned, so chances are that other RV parks may not be interested in letting you charge even for a fee - they might just not want to be bothered. If you're heading through Needles you might stop at that supercharger and plug in for longer. Head across the street to the Wagon Wheel for a meal instead of fast food at the DQ. Then your car will be full or nearly so by the time you are finished. If you want to actually stay overnight in Needles you can go to Fender's River Road Resort. It's a little motel and RV park at the north end of town, which backs up right onto the river. It's old-school Route 66 so it's not a fancy place, but clean and inexpensive, and easy to plug in to a 240-volt 14-50 outlet right outside the motel rooms. The manager is a friend of mine and I helped her get their listing set up on PlugShare last fall.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoCalMX
I'm afraid I don't have a recommendation for Lake Havasu City itself, as it's been a long time since I've visited. The closest I usually get is Needles. I don't see any Lake Havasu sites listed on Plugshare other than the ones you've mentioned, so chances are that other RV parks may not be interested in letting you charge even for a fee - they might just not want to be bothered. If you're heading through Needles you might stop at that supercharger and plug in for longer. Head across the street to the Wagon Wheel for a meal instead of fast food at the DQ. Then your car will be full or nearly so by the time you are finished. If you want to actually stay overnight in Needles you can go to Fender's River Road Resort. It's a little motel and RV park at the north end of town, which backs up right onto the river. It's old-school Route 66 so it's not a fancy place, but clean and inexpensive, and easy to plug in to a 240-volt 14-50 outlet right outside the motel rooms. The manager is a friend of mine and I helped her get their listing set up on PlugShare last fall.
Thanks ProfitM. Very helpful. Really appreciate the reply.
Hotels seem to be getting the destination charging thing figured out so I mentioned it to the one I stayed at in Havasu last time.

Found one more on ChargeHub but when I called to double check, they said it was showing a Fault as were others with the same prefix.
Anyone know about this one?

Dc Solar | Lake Havasu City, AZ | EV Station
This charging station is located in the city of Lake Havasu City. It is maintained by the ChargePoint network and has 0 DC Fast Charger(s) (DCFC), 2 Level 2 port(s) (J1772).
DC SOLAR
10 Scott Dr
Lake Havasu City
AZ 86403

Found one more on ChargeHub but when I called to double check, they said it was showing a Fault as were others with the same prefix.
Anyone know about this one?

Dc Solar | Lake Havasu City, AZ | EV Station
This charging station is located in the city of Lake Havasu City. It is maintained by the ChargePoint network and has 0 DC Fast Charger(s) (DCFC), 2 Level 2 port(s) (J1772).
DC SOLAR
10 Scott Dr
Lake Havasu City
AZ 86403

I don't know anything about this one specifically, but the DC Solar charging stations that are deployed here in Vegas are portable units, which occasionally move around. They are trailers with solar panels and batteries, and free ChargePoint level 2 charger attached. You can see what they look like on their Facebook page: DC Solar

They're problematic to keep track of because they move around.

Reactions: SoCalMX
Update for anyone heading there as we just got back tonight:
1. Never found DC solar
2. Hampton Inn let me charge in the 110v that are at the Diamond parking section (ok if not a diamond) for 3MPH (see attached). Realized their plugs are 20A so will get that adapter next time as I think it will net me 25% more power.
3. My buddy is at the Islander Resort and the plugs there are 110v/30A which charged at 7MPH so I bought one of these on amazon thanks to the recommendations in other sections of this thread - Do a search for.....Parkworld 885378C EV Adapter Cord NEMA TT-30P to 14-50R (ONLY for EV or Tesla use, NOT for RV) (Adapter). I got a 90 degree adapter but it doesn't seem to be made any more and now they send you the cord.
3.1 Very impressed that although I remembered to change the car so it only charged at 24A the first time, I forgot the second but it remembered due to some Tesla Magic? GPS?
4. Temp's were as high as 117 so there were times I had it plugged in to the 3MPH and it was charging at 0MPH, I'm assuming because all the power was going to run to keep the batteries and cabin cool but interested in anyone can explain the science here
5. The overall trip kWh/Mi averaged about 450kWh for 6 of us and luggage that totaled about 700 pounds with the AC cranked, speed limit the whole way and temps ranging 90 in OC to 117 in AZ. The leg between Yermo super charger and Needles SC had sections pulling 800-1000kWh/mi though so 136Miles used 172 miles of charge.
Here's some pics. Interested in any input on if others have seen similar numbers.
View media item 120177View media item 120176View media item 120175View media item 120174

Reactions: AMPd and ProphetM
Hi everyone, hopefully I didn't miss this exact answer on the 20+ mentions of threads but please point me to it if I did.

Last I was at Lake Havasu for a few days coming from SoCal, we stopped at Barstow and ate at Chili's, then had dessert at DQ in Needles (was later told Yermo is a better charger with more slots) and then drove to the Hampton Inn there. It's about 44 miles each way from Needles to Havasu so never found a great option to charge quickly while I was there.

Looks like the best options I found so far are:
- The Heat Hotel has two Tesla chargers but only 25 rooms so they get booked up. They did say you can ask the Bar tender if they'll let you use the chargers while having a drink but if you need to totally recharge it's not a good option of course.
- The Hampton Inn let me use their wall to charge but at 4miles/hour not super effective
- I read about the Nissan dealer that let's you charge on their Level2 so that's an option but you have to stay there a few hours.
- Crazy horse campground let's you charge for $15/day
- Havasu State Park will let you charge too

Did I miss any that are L2 or L3?
Will the RV Parks like Islander let you plug into L3 using our adapters in if you have friends that live there?

Would like to find a way to do true destination charging so we're just ready to go in the morning or at least once we get off the water for the day.
Thanks!
I’m planning to do the same trip from south OC to Havasu. Did you have an issue with the car draining the battery due to outside temp? Thanks in advance

It would be help if there was a Tesla super charging location in Lake Havasu. The current options make it hard to travel there. Is there anyway to encourage the town or property Owners to try and apply to be a location for Tesla's super charger?