Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

L2 chargers in mall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"As cars guzzle less gas, drivers end up paying less in gas taxes." This makes no sense. All they need to do is increase the tax.

In theory, sure. In practice, most politicians would rather gouge out their own eyes with spoons (rusty ones, in the case of Republicans) than raise gas taxes. Gas taxes in the US are currently set at a fixed number of cents per gallon, and they've been mostly stagnant for years, which means that both states and the Federal government are collecting less money per gallon, adjusted for inflation, than in the past. Improving fuel efficiency of newer cars exacerbates this issue. This is a growing problem for funding road maintenance, has been so for a while, and would be so even without EVs in the equation; but politicians have largely failed to address the issue.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Exactly why standardization is needed and is coming. OEMs ****ing around with your fill rate is a bullshit game that is going to die very soon. No fossil fuel owner would put up with the OEM restricting how fast you fill up at an AM/PM versus at a Costco.
It should be noted that Model 3 is more efficient than other EVs though. You can get 22-23 miles per hour on 208V/30A charging for example and 30 miles on 240V/32A.

Reactions: ALSET YXES
In theory, sure. In practice, most politicians would rather gouge out their own eyes with spoons (rusty ones, in the case of Republicans) than raise gas taxes. Gas taxes in the US are currently set at a fixed number of cents per gallon, and they've been mostly stagnant for years, which means that both states and the Federal government are collecting less money per gallon, adjusted for inflation, than in the past. Improving fuel efficiency of newer cars exacerbates this issue. This is a growing problem for funding road maintenance, has been so for a while, and would be so even without EVs in the equation; but politicians have largely failed to address the issue.

Explains the motivation to freeze the fuel efficiency standard. It's all focused on keeping non-viable businesses in business and extracting the most from the citizens in taxes. Who cares about the citizens and their health... huh?

So they blame fuel efficiency for their lack of leadership. Pretty transparent.

I don't think it matters though. For ev like tesla, taxes are small part.

7C96FF91-7C25-4B56-B1F8-8FFBD97053D0.jpeg
D1C66CD5-24E8-4664-B21A-CACB46DCB171.jpeg

A free Volta Charging 30A at the new shopping center. Got 20 miles an hour and got some coffee and walking done.

there are tons of free chargers here including Chargepoint ones.

I was checking out the new mall and lost count of L2. Guessing there was at least 20 Level 2 via Chargepoint and Volta.

I visited the mall to get coffee and see what else was there.

I think that if people don't visit only for charging then the numbers probably don't make it worthwhile for the mall. Maybe it does.

If you are in California, I think there is exception because the culture is different there. Many more EVs of all types. In the NE, you are lucky to see a Chevy Bolt once a year. Quite a few prius hybrid (like 1 or 2 out of 200).

I think that if people don't visit only for charging then the numbers probably don't make it worthwhile for the mall. Maybe it does.

If you are in California, I think there is exception because the culture is different there. Many more EVs of all types. In the NE, you are lucky to see a Chevy Bolt once a year. Quite a few prius hybrid (like 1 or 2 out of 200).
I’m in Southern California and we even have clean car/EV parking spots that don’t have chargers here... so, I think they’ll get used.