Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck AC L2 charging onboard charger specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody seen anywhere what the onboard charger will take? I know currently the max is 48A of what you can find on the market, but I still have a Wall connectors that are 80A max and would like to know if I can take advantage.

Tesla has nothing in the manual for charging about CT and not mentioning anywhere about the onboard charger. There is info about the PowerShare inverters though ;)

Unfortunately, I think that 48A is the most you can expect. I looked but could not find anything more definitive than the charger provides 11.5 kW bi-directional charging, which implies a max 48A at 240V input as I think you know.

The Wall Connectors they sell also max out at 48A. If the CT could charge at higher amperage, I would expect Tesla would sell a Wall Connector to capable of that amperage.

It appears that CT is using the same onboard bi-directional charger for outlets/powershare as well as charging. Therefore, it's most likely limited to charging at 48A.
I agree - sounds plausible. But doesn't make it a fact. That's what I was looking for. Unless I am missing something, there is no "bi-directional charger". There is a charger and an inverter, and maybe a DC converter (800V DC to 48V DC for example). So your assumption is short sighted that both (assuming there is only two) devices/machines have the same specs but reversed. Anyhow - can't wait to get more detailed specs from Tesla. Or Munro... :)

It appears that CT is using the same onboard bi-directional charger for outlets/powershare as well as charging. Therefore, it's most likely limited to charging at 48A.

I agree - sounds plausible. But doesn't make it a fact. That's what I was looking for. Unless I am missing something, there is no "bi-directional charger". There is a charger and an inverter, and maybe a DC converter (800V DC to 48V DC for example). So your assumption is short sighted that both (assuming there is only two) devices/machines have the same specs but reversed. Anyhow - can't wait to get more detailed specs from Tesla. Or Munro... :)
Outlets vs powershare have different kW limits (9.6 vs 11)

ZNhTXSe.jpg

yp6mBpI.jpg

Based on the information released so far, it’s fairly clear that charging (from AC) is done via a bi-directional inverter. This is how powerwall, powerpack, and megapack all work. The same MOSFET circuitry does DC->AC and AC->DC and such circuitry is normally called a bi-directional inverter. It seems Tesla decided to call it a bi-directional charger in this context (which isn’t wrong, it’s just not canonical).

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200